What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - Bilboman

Beware that summer is a great season for collecting fines from errant motorists, and Spain and the UK not only allow licence exchanges (recently reintroduced) but also exchange driver data so that fines can be pursued. There are fixed and mobile cameras aplenty, and even traffic police helicopters. You have been warned!
As of May 2021, all urban areas with one lane of traffic in each direction default to 30 km/h (19 mph), regardless of signage, although many towns now have a blanket 30 km/h. If the pavement and road are level (i.e. without kerbs) it's 20 km/h (13 mph).
On leaving a built-up area, watch out for the sign that looks like our NSL (white circle with diagonal black stripe), as it's no such thing! It means "end of previous restriction", which may be a lower speed or a ban on overtaking or parking. xn--sealesdetrafico-zqb.com/fin-prohibicion/ The "previously banned" action is unfortunately shown as a pale grey image that isn't always clear.
Warning triangles (two for Spanish registered vehicles, otherwise one) are gradually being replaced by a much safer "Help Flash" battery-powered magnetic roof beacon, which you can pick up for about €20 in an accessory shop. Hi-viz jackets are required for anyone exiting a broken down vehicle.
¡Felices vacaciones!

Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - alan1302

As of May 2021, all urban areas with one lane of traffic in each direction default to 30 km/h (19 mph), regardless of signage, although many towns now have a blanket 30 km/h. If the pavement and road are level (i.e. without kerbs) it's 20 km/h (13 mph).

Don't let Sammy know about this! :-)

Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - Crickleymal

Don't let Sammy know about this! :-)

Beat me to it

Edited by Crickleymal on 11/06/2023 at 00:05

Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - niggel
Just to also remind people the Spanish Police also use drones for speed enforcement . They also have taken delivery of radar guns which are extremely small and can attach to the crash barriers. I have also seen these on a magnetic mount on the bonnet of Police cars. So beware!!!
Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - daveyK_UK
It would seem cruise control is the essential item you need in a hire car as it can be difficult to keep accurately at 30km speed
Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - Smileyman

Gosh, the Spanish inquisition has returned!

I have been wanting a trip on the ferry to Northern Spain then through France back to the UK using the N20 (or A20) for a few years, I struggle with 20mph (30kph) zones in the UK so Spain suddenly looks very uninviting. I'll be there later on in the year (without a car) so will look out for this.

As for the cameras everywhere, my past experience of the way people drive in Spain it's no surprise. I guess without the cameras the lower limits would be ignored, so they have adopted a similar approach to compliance as China has in Hong Kong. Wonder if the lower limits have actually reduced the accidents or just made it easier for cycles to overtake cars?

I have two triangles in my car and a yellow vest for driver & every passenger, from memory Spain used to require drivers who wear glasses to driver to have a spare pair with them, wonder if that is still enforced?

Off to Spain this summer? A couple of reminders. - Bilboman

from memory Spain used to require drivers who wear glasses to driver to have a spare pair with them, wonder if that is still enforced?
The requirement for a second pair of specs has long gone (owing to pressure from wearers of complex, expensive lenses such as myself!), so they are now merely "recommended", along with the spare "fan belt" and replacement set of bulbs. All documents have to be carried in the car (insurance, MoT if applicable, V5 (plus permission of finance/leasing company/employer if car is not owned directly) and, of course, licence. A paper licence must be accompanied by the 1949 version of the IDP.
One more change I forgot to mention - if overtaking a cyclist on a multi-lane road (e.g. two lanes in each direction, regardless of town or country), it's not enough to give 1.5 m space, the driver physically has to move into the other lane and back again, indicating before and after the manoeuvre, even on an otherwise empty road.
And don't forget the UK sticker, as the pre-Brexit EU plates are, strictly speaking, not valid.

Edited by Bilboman on 22/06/2023 at 11:58