What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - Potatohead44

Hi all,

Just after some advice on whether people think it's worth selling a car to buy a diesel for motorway commute.

Current cars are both petrol:

Car 1 - Peugeot 3008 - 49K miles, 20K a year - bought for £20K in 2021, valued at £14K

Car 2 - Honda Jazz - 28K miles, 5K a year - bought for £9K in 2021, valued at £9K

No point selling car 1 due to depreciation but thinking of selling Jazz for an i40 (diesel) with 60K miles for £11K and use Peugeot as run around to extend its life. Basically trying to think of a way to save money in long run but for the life of me can't come to a conclusion on to whether to stick with driving 3008 for work on motorway until it dies or sell wife's Jazz, give her the 3008 and buy an i40. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks

Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - badbusdriver

The difference in economy between a petrol Jazz and a diesel i40 is not going to be very much at all. And while an i40 is not an unreliable car, it is not going to be as reliable as a Jazz. Take that, add the fact that petrol is cheaper than diesel to buy at the pump, the fact that the standard servicing costs are going to be higher for the diesel, and the fact that if anything outwith standard servicing requirements goes wrong on the i40 it will most likely cost a lot more. and there isn't really a case for changing.

It is generally considered that you need to be doing well past 10k miles per year for diesel to become more cost effective than a reasonably efficient petrol alternative, and that is like for like (i.e, going from a petrol Jazz to a diesel car of the same class).

Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - Andrew-T

Even though my workhorse car is a diesel, I don't think there is any plausible case to be made for buying a 'modern' diesel car on grounds of economy. The fuel costs a bit more than petrol especially during the winter, but you would need to clock up huge mileages for that to become an important factor. Then allow for the cost of possible problems, and the zones where diesels are not welcome, IMHO it is best to stick with what you have. Changing cars always puts money in the pocket of the seller(s) anyhow, unless you switch to a golden oldie.

Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - Terry W

The depreciation already suffered is not relevant. What will happen in future is. The past cannot be changed.

Changing to diesel may save ~£700 pa. Assume 20k pa and fuel at £7 gallon.

• Petrol at (say) 40mpg = 500 gallons pa = £3500
  • Diesel at (say) 50mpg = 400 gallons pa = £2800

Both the 3008 or i40 will have 150k+ on the clock in 5 years with limited trade in value. This may be a reasonable time from over which to make a judgement.

Fuel saving over 5 years will be £3500.

If Jazz is sold the cost to change will be £2k. If the 3008 is sold it will release £3k. Looking forward 5 years there may be little difference in value between the Jazz and 3008 with a 20k higher mileage.

The simple financial answer is sell the 3008, buy i40. Save £3500 in fuel costs + £3000 trade in over 5 years. But the answer is not always simple:

• keep the 3008 - be reminded of the fuel cost penalty every time you fill up
  • driving pleasure/comfort - you will spend a lot of time in the car
  • risk - can you anticipate events 5 years out (job, location, etc)
  • i40 with 60k on the clock is a risk compared to known quantity 3008

In context - the total cost of running a car for 5 years is probably around £40k (£8k pa) including £15k fuel + £12k depreciation, + £3k insurance + £5k servicing and repairs. Saving £3-6k over a 5 year period is a little more than noise, but not compelling.

Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - SLO76
The Mk III Jazz is a great commuter car, great on fuel and mechanically bombproof plus it’s a nicer thing to drive than previous generations. I’d keep it and run the miles up until it eventually dies. It’s a far safer bet and cheaper to run than an older diesel.
Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - Ian_SW

I'm not sure using the Peugeot as a runabout would necrssarily extend its life at all. All it would do would allow over time it's mileage return to average and be worth a bit more at trade in time.

If the 5k miles per year on the Jazz is the car being driven 10-15 miles every day in town, and the 20k miles in the Peugeot is the car being driven 50 miles every day on the motorway, the Peugeot may actually run for fewer hours with fewer cold starts, gear changes etc.

Provided you intend to keep the car for most of its serviceable life, the mileage doesn't really matter - chances are it will still make it to 10 years old (and 200000 miles) if maintained properly.

Peugeot 3008 - Honda Jazz - i40 - Sell or stick for motorway commuter! - Potatohead44

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts, really appreciate it.

Taking everyone's views on board I am going to stick with. Whilst The £3-6K saving mentioned by Terry W isn't to be sniffed at it's a risk swapping either car especially when the cars we have are both reliable and both are above combined 40mpg.

Thanks again all!