What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Metropolis.
It even folds its mirror in!

youtube.com/shorts/MOGVaNzVbDA?feature=share
Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Engineer Andy

I wonder what it would've done if (say) the road in question had no driveway areas to pull into as a defacto passing point for oncoming vehicles when another car came around the corner from the opposite direction that also was an autonymous driver vehicle?

Rather like the donkey equidistant from two sources of food allegory, what would they do? Expect the other to move and sit still, or both move all the way back a long way to the nearest passing point (which could be quite a long way).

Love to see this on a farm track road withe infrequent passing places. <the computer says no>

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Bolt

I wonder what it would've done if (say) the road in question had no driveway areas to pull into as a defacto passing point for oncoming vehicles when another car came around the corner from the opposite direction that also was an autonymous driver vehicle?

Rather like the donkey equidistant from two sources of food allegory, what would they do? Expect the other to move and sit still, or both move all the way back a long way to the nearest passing point (which could be quite a long way).

Love to see this on a farm track road withe infrequent passing places. <the computer says no>

That situation would be as difficult to get out of as a human driving, I have seen drivers get to the point they can`t move because they are unable to figure out the next move, bearing in mind the opposing driver can be of no help and usually make the situation worse by blocking moves all round

so yes would be interesting if one autonomous one not, confusion all round in that case

2 auto could do it faster imo, once trained

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - sammy1

If they developed self driving in the south Devon lanes it would be great. Has anyone tried driving to Bigbury on sea or Bantham when it is busy, a nightmare!

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Metropolis.
If you look at the other videos on the channel there are some situations not all that different to narrow lanes in Devon. What gets me is that it all goes back to Tesla HQ where the AI learns and improves with every drive a customer takes!
If you look at the other videos on the channel there are some situations not all that different to narrow lanes in Devon. What gets me is that it all goes back to Tesla HQ where the AI learns and improves with every drive a customer takes!

Tesla have a team of computer operators/programmers that tell the software exactly what all the items in a video are, ie. kerb -path- signpost and what the sign post has on it, so the software can tell the difference between any article on it, including people and any articles they have in the hand, its taking a lot of computer power and storage space to memorise everything in one video

but they are getting there slowly....

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Xileno

Oh yes, was there last Autumn house-sitting for a week. Actually in Bigbury, just a mile inland from Bigbury on Sea. There was one day when I had driven to Kingsbridge to have a look around and had timed it badly coming back at 4pm approx - school run time. I was behind the school bus which met a tractor and trailer coming the other way. The bus, myself and about five other cars had to reverse back a good few hundred metres until the road was sufficiently wide. You can always tell the locals' cars - their's are the ones with scratches and scuffs all down the sides from bushes etc. If you live around there, no point having a shiny new car..

That situation would be as difficult to get out of as a human driving, I have seen drivers get to the point they can`t move because they are unable to figure out the next move, bearing in mind the opposing driver can be of no help and usually make the situation worse by blocking moves all round

so yes would be interesting if one autonomous one not, confusion all round in that case

2 auto could do it faster imo, once trained

They would a) have to be able to communicate to other cars, and b) would need to decide amongst themselves who would reverse back. The problem would be then if the distance was equal, and then who would 'flip' the virtual coin to do so (or not).

I have visions of K.I.T.T vs K.A.R.R....

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - Terry W

They may be programmed to do what humans do or possibly:

• driver of the cheaper car reverses
  • drivers of BMW and Audi always have priority
  • driver of the smaller car concedes
  • the youngest driver gives in to the incompetent old fogeys
  • they toss a virtual coin
  • cars stall until one driver or the other programs a different destination

There really are bigger problems to solve with autonomous vehicles.

You say that, but as such cars would need to interract, make rational decisions and sometimes creatively (something AI can't currently do - they only use existing information)/ And that includes deciding which will decide...I mean, what happens if two identical cars come face to face? :-)

youtu.be/wAoKzfbGnCc

You say that, but as such cars would need to interract, make rational decisions and sometimes creatively (something AI can't currently do - they only use existing information)/ And that includes deciding which will decide...I mean, what happens if two identical cars come face to face? :-)

youtu.be/wAoKzfbGnCc

its all part of autonomy, v2x or vehicle 2 all information, sharing around all motors in the vicinity of each other, each vehicle knows what the other is doing and where it is, even who is in the motor and what/where they are going, it seems communication between cars takes place 10 times a second where the sensors work many thousands of times a second scanning around

Self Driving tech on narrow streets - sammy1

Brilliant I could go for all of these suggestion

Funny I would have said its the other way round, a lot have no idea how to steer or how far to turn the steering wheel, if you have noticed some younger drivers turning a corner, most cut the opposite side of the road off to get into a side road.

who teaches them to drive I don`t know but they should learn how to steer a car even if it is an SUV though not all are.?

Funny I would have said its the other way round, a lot have no idea how to steer or how far to turn the steering wheel, if you have noticed some younger drivers turning a corner, most cut the opposite side of the road off to get into a side road.

who teaches them to drive I don`t know but they should learn how to steer a car even if it is an SUV though not all are.?

I wonder what happens when the two individuals are women and don't want to divulge their age? Both answer "21!" :-)