What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - S Gupta

I currently drive a 2007 Lexus GS300 and looking to change the car. This will be our primary and only car - we have two kids that both still use a children's seat (2 & 6). The budget is upto £50K. The car will be used for the regular family needs - grocery, social visits locally and such making up over 90% of the trips.

However, this being our primary car, we will also be using it for all family trips including any longer driving trip outside the country. I also need to sometimes travel for work within country and prefer to drive over taking a train if it is not too far from where I live. I am currently searching for one with under 40K miles on the clock.

For our primary car, we want the comfort of travel on a long travel, along with a good out of the box sound system and safety features like advanced cruise control and self parking. One more thing that I liked about my GS300 was its reliability and would like that to be a feature of the new one as well.

Which ones of these three would you recommend? Should I just go with the cheapest of the three? Or is one of them better than the other two for my kind of requirement? I am also willing to consider a 4th option as long as it matches the features in these and can be had within my price range. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/05/2023 at 20:54

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or - Adampr

I have no idea what the three options are. Of the two in your title, I would take a Lexus over a BMW every time.

Do you really need something so enormous and expensive? Up to you, of course, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a car!

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or - _

If you like your comfort, the LS is best, the BMW will be on silly wheels, out of BMW warranty and stupidly expensive servicing...

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/05/2023 at 20:53

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or - badbusdriver

Out of the two choices in the thread title, I'd be going Lexus all day long.

But, as a family car, I'd actually be looking at a Lexus RX450h. 2022 examples with under 10k miles on Autotrader for £45k.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or MB S Class - S Gupta

The third option is S Class, my apologies.

I saw the RX450h listings too and tbh they are very enticing. I have never owned a SUV though and prefer the looks of a saloon over a SUV.

LS500h has a smaller boot space, exactly as much as GS300 and that feels like a downside which RX overcomes very easily.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or MB S Class - S Gupta

Sorry, it truncated the subject. The third option is Mercedes Benz S Class.

They are expensive, but not too large than many SUVs in the market. Plus they look better than the SUVs to me.

It also seems that they will be quite comfortable and even though the series just 1 below them are comfortable too, these should feel like pampering self. Having driven GS300 for over 10 years and being very happy with it, I see your point, but there has always been a desire to splurge I guess.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or MB S Class - badbusdriver

Very few SUV's are as big as the saloons you mention, but they will invariably be much more practical and with a bigger boot.

But horses for courses.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or MB S Class - Adampr

Sorry, it truncated the subject. The third option is Mercedes Benz S Class.

They are expensive, but not too large than many SUVs in the market. Plus they look better than the SUVs to me.

It also seems that they will be quite comfortable and even though the series just 1 below them are comfortable too, these should feel like pampering self. Having driven GS300 for over 10 years and being very happy with it, I see your point, but there has always been a desire to splurge I guess.

Well, you can't take it with you. Buy what you like and enjoy it.

I would still go for the Lexus.

Personally I'd prefer a Kia Stinger for the noise and silliness, but it won't be as refined or comfy. Maybe worth considering a Genesis G80??

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - SLO76
I’d take the Lexus all day long. They just don’t go wrong, while a BMW or Merc will become a regular drainer or your wallet as they age.
Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - artill

I can only comment on the Lexus, having had one until recently. Very comfy, very well made. less space inside than you would imagine from its 17 foot length. Small boot, as Hybrid battery lives back there. No good for 5 people, its got 4 proper seats, but the rear isnt really set up for 3. Upto 44 mpg on a run, rather less around town. Totally reliable, and covered by the usual Lexus 10 year warranty. Excellent sound system, quite possibly the best standard fit system. Mine didnt self park, maybe the top model has this?, but lots of sensors and cameras so its easy. Slightly odd drive as the hybrid system uses a 4 speed auto box, and a CVT replaces the torque converter. Lexus say it behaves like a 10 speed auto, it doesnt, as it has some real, and some fake gear changes, but drive it smoothly and its very refined, if you want to drive it hard, you probably want a different car.

I wouldnt want to own a BMW or Mercedes out of warranty, but the Lexus i wouldnt fear, however keep it serviced in the network, and the warranty is 10 years (although i doubt you would need to claim on it)

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - S Gupta

Thank you! I did not know that Lexus comes with a 10 year warranty but that is not surprising given their reputation for going on.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - Heidfirst

Is a Lexus ES too small?

For reliability, warranty (not that you will need it) & dealer service imo the Lexus (any) will trump the BMW or Mercedes.

Also likely to be more exclusive if that matters to you.

Lexus LS - 2020 Lexus LS500h or 2019/2020 BMW 750i xDrive or S Class - gordonbennet
Oddly enough had the pleasure of seeing one of the most graceful cars ever made IMHO day before yesterday, hadn't seen one for a long time.

2008/9 LS460 glided across the car park, one of the most reservedly handsome cars ever made to my eyes, they ruined the car with the later grill and rear end treatments, but each to their own.