What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hybrids for motorways - davecooper

The time has come when I have to start thinking about the replacement for the current car. Being recently retired and having all the family spread around the country, most of my driving is on motorways and fast A roads with very little town driving. My shortest journey is a 150 mile round trip down the M6 and M55 to the closest family. My current Mazda CX-30 will happily do 55 mpg on these trips without me trying too hard.

Obviously, many of the possible replacements are hybrids. However, my concern is that most hybrids don't seem to return particularly good mpg figures for my kind of driving. Am I right in saying that for my driving habits, a hybrid is not probably not ideal?

If I can find something that is significantly better on fuel that also ticks all the other boxes for me, I will consider it. However, I don't want to spend a lot more money for little return. Otherwise it may be another Mazda.

Edited by davecooper on 22/05/2023 at 22:56

Hybrids for motorways - Nezza
I have an Auris hybrid which I use daily for a mainly motorway commute of 45 miles each way. I average 60-65mpg but that is doing approximately 60-65 mph. It comes into its own when traffic is moving slower where I can then achieve 70-75mpg. (This drops to 55mpg if doing 70). It is free road tax so for me this is one of the cheapest cars to run for my commute. However, I can see no new hybrid vehicles that can achieve anywhere near the same figures (cost to run) as the taxation has gone up and their economy appears worse.

If you really are wanting a new car and the economy, I would look at an MG electric as they seem to have the best value for money when you look at kit, warranty and price / depreciation. These are available at a price comparable to the hybrids about.

If electric is not an option then personally I would pick the car you like the most as economy is likely to be worse than your current vehicle regardless of model.
Hybrids for motorways - Falkirk Bairn

Depends on the budget!

Assume the CX30 is a diesel - - diesel cars still the best on bigger mileages & l o n g journeys.

A daughter in law ran a Lexus 200 CT - 1.8 ltr 122BHP never below 50mpg - great round town mileage and keeping speed at 60/65 on the motorway up to 58/60 - over 70mph the mpg falls.

The downside it was slow off the mark..

Equivalent today in Toyota Corolla has 1.8 engine and 140BHP (2 litre 196BHP) i.e. more power and the same MPG. The CT 100% reliable in 60K.

Up to 10 year warranty on new car assuming Toyota servicing .even on 2nd hand Toyota/Lexus can get the major item warranty with \franchise servicing. 15 year Hybrid battery warranty.

Suzuki Swace is same car as Toyota Corolla (Derby made), different badges - up to 7 years warranty assuming Suzuki servicing. 2nd hand it appears to be cheaper than the equivalent Corolla!

Hybrids for motorways - badbusdriver

The CX-30 only comes as a 2.0 petrol with two different power outputs, both mild hybrid.

I think the answers so far tend to support my suspicion that I am unlikely to find a hybrid that would be significantly better than my current car. That's fine because I am not actively looking for a hybrid, I just thought it was something I should consider while I was looking at options.

Ultimately, I bought the CX-30 because it ticked all the boxes for me as had the Mazda's I had before. I may even choose to buy my current car once the lease period is up as it has quite low mileage as a result of lockdown and no more daily commute.

If I did go electric, the MG4 would be top of the list. I like the look of it, the specs and the price. I will be interested to see the extended range version that is supposed to be coming soon.

Hybrids for motorways - Bromptonaut

If the CX-30 still ticks the boxes for you and is new enough to be at the end of a lease then why not buy it and hang on to it for a bit longer?

That will almost certainly be the cheapest option.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 23/05/2023 at 09:21

Hybrids for motorways - catsdad

My 1.4 Golf estate gives similar mpg to your Mazda. It will sometimes exceed 60mpg on a long gentle trip at indicated 70 (computer so not 100% accurate). My true average on mixed use, but with limited town driving, will be low to mid 50s.

The engine has been superseded by the 1.5 but that is probably even more economical. They seem to have resolved the early versions issues.

I wouldn’t go for the latest Golf with its over reliance on screens but the power plant is of course available on a range of cars from VAG. Some of these have physical buttons.

Having said all that you might do as well to keep the Mazda and review your options as you settle into retirement. Your needs and priorities might change more than you think.

Hybrids for motorways - craig-pd130

It's true that motorway driving is not a strong suit for hybrids. My BMW 225xe plug-in hybrid used to give 40 to 45mpg (measured at the pump) on long, mostly motorway journeys with cruise control set at 75mph.

That was mostly because of the way the BMW drivetrain is configured: the electric motor cuts out at 78mph, and at a steady 75mph it's providing almost no assistance, so the petrol engine is doing pretty much all the work.

However, for my driving patterns the hybrid worked, and other manufacturers' hybrids may well be more economical on motorways than the BMW was.

Hybrids for motorways - Terry W

What sort of hybrid.

Plug in can work well on short journeys where charge at home, preferably from PVs, is possible. This way you get 20-40 mile range with no fuel cost. On longer journeys where ICE kicks in you are simply carrying a lot of excess weight and complexity.

Normal hybrid benefits depend on battery size. A small battery and motor are minor supplements which allow different engine tech to reduce consumption. I am not completely convinced by this - there is a weight, complexity and price cost which needs to be recovered through fuel savings - IMHO unlikely.

Some advice above to keep the current car and see how your use changes in the first month or year of retirement is very sound!

Hybrids for motorways - badbusdriver

Normal hybrid benefits depend on battery size. A small battery and motor are minor supplements which allow different engine tech to reduce consumption. I am not completely convinced by this - there is a weight, complexity and price cost which needs to be recovered through fuel savings - IMHO unlikely.

In terms of weight, not necessarily. Case in point, the current Toyota Yaris full hybrid has a kerbweight of 1160kg (according to this website). Not only is that less than the current mild hybrid Fiesta auto (1236kg), it is also lighter than the previous, solely ICE version of the same car (1206kg). Also, a self charge hybrid like the Yaris and new Clio E-Tech, will give their biggest benefits in urban running, so the economy gains are potentially very large. I watched a video lip of a Clio E Tech being driven exclusively on urban roads over the course of around 30 miles, taking just over an hour (the footage was speeded up, the clip lasted about 15 mins). It averaged 86mpg. A solely ICE equivalent like the Fiesta would probably get half that in the same circumstances.

But in the OP's case, doing most running at motorway speeds, I'd concur that keeping the Mazda is probably the most sensible choice.

Hybrids for motorways - Ian_SW

Within reason, the effect of weight is relatively insignificant at constant motorway speeds. Aerodynamic drag is what the car is working against most at 70mph.

Hybrids in relatively small aerodynamic cars like the Corolla, Prius, Ioniq etc are still very efficient (60+ mpg) at legal motorway speeds. Despite doing most of my miles in the motorway, my long term average (over more than 5000 miles) in the Swace only dropped marginally below 60mpg at the end of the winter and has risen above 61 again now. Although they don't make a non hybrid version, I reckon it would probably still do 55mpg just with the petrol engine.

In SUVs and crossovers, the hybrid fuel efficiency may look good on paper (and is at low speeds where the engine is off much of the time), but less good on the motorway in practice. Ultimately in that case you're still pushing a much taller and wider, less aerodynamic, lump of metal through the air with a petrol engine and there's no way of defeating the laws of physics.

So, in the OPs case, I'd say there's no compelling case to choose a self charging hybrid, but if the right car is hybrid and you're not paying a premium for it, it wouldn't matter if it was a hybrid.

I'd suggest plug- in hybrids would be less useful as they almost always carry a significant price premium over the non hybrid version. Also, for mild hybrids, make sure you have a decent test drive in them as the few I've had recently as hire cars (particularly the Fiat 500) have been rather wierd to drive, and very difficult to drive smoothly with no noticeable fuel economy benefit over similar cars.

Hybrids for motorways - skidpan

However, my concern is that most hybrids don't seem to return particularly good mpg figures for my kind of driving.

We have a Superb PHEV which when used for local trips is used on battery power and is very cheap to run on off peak electricity.

But when we are in Scotland at the lodge we have zero charging opportunities thus its used as a conventional Hybrid. Our previous car was a non PHEV Superb 1.4 TSi with much less power and a manual gearbox and obviously less weight. On the trip to lodge in the previous car we would average about 52 mpg. Last Saturday we averaged about 59 mpg for the same trip in the PHEV purely in hybrid mode.

So whilst its not a great improvement over the previous car and would be unlikely to cover the increased purchase price its still better. But when you start to factor in local running its a different story.

Will our next car be a hybrid or PHEV, who knows, it all depends on the deals available. We love driving the PHEV but if its not financially viable we will not be getting another.

Do the sums, the current PHEV was a great deal and looks like it will just about break even over 5 years but at this moment in time I do not see any deals that would work for us.

Hybrids for motorways - Big John

but at this moment in time I do not see any deals that would work for us.

I'd second that. Usually I roughly know what my future shortlist is - currently I have no idea. Also many discounts seem to revolve around deposits for high interest PCPs. I've noticed dealers now seem to be less keen if you ask if it's possible to pay PCP off earlier.

Edited by Big John on 23/05/2023 at 21:58

Hybrids for motorways - Big John

Obviously, many of the possible replacements are hybrids. However, my concern is that most hybrids don't seem to return particularly good mpg figures for my kind of driving.

My mate has a 2020 Corolla hatch 1.8 hybrid and after retirement he also has pounded the motorways. On regular long runs from Yorkshire to London he has seen mid 70's mpg but he is a steady driver. General driving has been mid 60's mpg He loves it - not for me though, I don't fit(comfortably) and they are a lot of money new - a lot more compared to 2020.

Edited by Big John on 23/05/2023 at 22:19

Hybrids for motorways - Vroom78

Thats interesting to hear about your mates experience with the 2020 Corolla hatch 1.8 hybrid, Do you know anyone else who has had experience with other hybrid models or alternative vehicle options that you find more appealing?

Definitely keeping the Mazda for the foreseeable future. As I have mentioned on another post, the only car that really got my attention was the new Honda Civic Hybrid eHEV. As I couldn't even get a test drive because no dealers had any cars available and with dealers asking thousands over the new price for a used example with a few thousand miles on the clock, that won't be happening any time soon

Hybrids for motorways - mcb100
Have a look at Renault Austral - demonstrators are arriving at dealers this week.
1.2 litre turbocharged three cylinder petrol with usual pair of electric motors. 200PS combined.
I’ve been in one for a few weeks, WLTP 57.7 for the one I’m in, a recent motorway trip at indicated 73 produced 57.6mpg.
Super intuitive Google/Android infotainment and a generally nice place to be.

Not a car I was aware of I must admit. I will certainly have a look.

Hybrids for motorways - mcb100
Give the Renault dealer a call first before going - they’ve just had launch training on it and may not yet have a car to show you.

That's OK. Not doing anything for a while. Got a busy few months coming up so will probably wait until the autumn before seriously looking at my options. Thanks for the heads up anyway.