Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - brianbrew2014
Hi I bought a Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 reg ex learner car it was great on fuel the miles to empty on the screen would hardly go down and same with the fuel gauge but just seemed a bit slow so I did a Forced dpf regeneration by plugging it into forscan software a lot of smoke and crap came out of the exhaust now the car is more responsive drives better but I’ve noticed now after doing it the miles to empty is dropping very quickly and the fuel consumption is greedy before I did the forced regeneration it was great on fuel the gauge hardly moved and the miles to empty on the screen clocks hardly went down any advice on this would be great
Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - Adampr

It sounds like it's still regenerating. Is that possible? Did you tell it to stop the forced regen?

Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - brianbrew2014
Hi no I left it to 100% completed I’ve driven it on the motorway since and you can see the miles to empty dropping like 7 miles in a mile like it’s burning fuel

Edited by brianbrew2014 on 09/05/2023 at 10:24

Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - Adampr

I would guess your forced regen has shaken stuff loose but it's now trying an active regen. You need to either do a longer trip at motorway speeds or do another forced regen.

I'm assuming you have no warning lights. As you have a scanner, have you pulled any codes from the car?

Hi I’ve tried another regen and it’s the same even wen the cars stationary ticking over it’s gone down 5 miles on the display some people say because the exhaust gets that hot it may have burnt out the oxygen sensor or one of the sensors on the dpf like it’s over fueling showing no faults or codes

Edited by brianbrew2014 on 09/05/2023 at 13:37

Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - elekie&a/c doctor
During a forced regen program, extra diesel is injected into the engine to increase temperature and engine speed . If it were using as much diesel as you suggest, then there would be masses of black smoke out the back and it would be running like a sack of nails. I would think you need to disconnect the battery for 10 mins , and restart.
There’s no smoke now and even had it ticking over for 10 mins and the miles to
Empty dropped 6 miles on tick over am thinking has it destroyed or burnt the oxygen sensor with the amount of heat it gets to on the regen

Edited by brianbrew2014 on 09/05/2023 at 19:03

Presumably you'd get a fault code if the sensor was knackered. Have you tried resetting it as suggested?

Yes tried resetting it I’ve noticed on the display on the clocks it normally says 58.9mpg now it says 35.1mpg wen I’m driving it it’s going up bit by bit
I drove the car long journey it brought the engine light on codes that came up was p0401 egr and air intake p2000 it’s already had a brand new egr

Sounds like your EGR valve is clogged. Give it a clean.

Hi it’s a new egr valve I did another dpf regeneration today and like yesterday clouds of blue smoke
Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - Ian_SW

How far have you driven since doing the forced regeneration?

Also, have you tried resetting the fuel trip computer, and driving 10 miles or so to see what it says. If you've not done many miles since, it could be as simple as starting the forced regeneration reset the trip computer, and at the moment it's including the fuel used in that regeneration (where it will have used quite a bit of fuel and travelled zero miles) in the current calculation.

It would also be worth seeing how far the car travels on a tank of fuel to get a real MPG measurement rather than just what the trip computer says. It's important to know whether the car is really using lots of fuel, or just telling you that it is....

Thanks I’ve driven 60
miles and the engine light came on with the p2000 and p0401
Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - elekie&a/c doctor
Possibly got restricted air passage for the egr system . Clogged up inlet manifold and pipe work.
Yes probably as was ex learner Vechile thanks
I changed the oxygen sensor today and after driving it engine light came on again it’s low on power it’s had a new egr valve I’ve done 2 dpf regeneration both with lots of blue smoke do I have to do this more to clear it or is there something I can put in the tank or dpf to clear it out

Why change it ?

With it coming up with the code p2000 people on YouTube say it’s the oxygen sensor but it’s made no difference the other code was p0401 egr a flow insufficient detected
Perhaps get you tube to fix it for you .
Perhaps get you tube to fix it for you .

:D

I think the P0401 code is the place to start. You could try EGR cleaner, but I doubt it will work. Probably better to get the manifold off and start cleaning bits. The original loss of power was probably this clogging and you're just using up fuel running regens on the DPF.

I know you said it's got new EGR. What was wrong with the old one?

Hi I bought the car private sale seems there’s receipts for new egr valve air mass sensor recently wen I drive it after a week of having it the engine light came on that’s the codes it came with so did 2 dpf regens both with clouds of smoke I just this morning took the metal egr pipe of the end that’ goes into the plastic manifold it was gunged up wen I put my finger in not hard like soft gunge if I took the intercooler pipe of the throttle body as that’s the start of the plastic inlet and sprayed it with egr cleaner would it clear the inlet out then do a few more dpf regens as it looks a pain to take that plastic inlet of seems the guy I bought the car of got rid because of this problem
Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - Crickleymal

Why do dpf regens? Bite the bullet and clean the egr

Edited by Crickleymal on 12/05/2023 at 20:17

The egr was fitted brand new just before I got the car it seems it’s the pipes and inlet manifold that needs taking of and cleaning
Ford fiesta 1.5 tdci 2015 - My car now greedy on fuel after forced dpf regen - JONATHAN_11_80

Forced regeneration is my opinion is a last resort. Usually when the car doesn't regenerate on its own you are either doing very little miles or you have a fault. A forced regeneration puts a lot of stress on the engine and dpf. Are there any codes? I suspect your car is dumping diesel in the sump so I would check your oil asap before the engine runs away. Get the fault fixed or give it a long run once a week. Then do an oil and filter change.

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 14/05/2023 at 20:56