What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - mcb100
News on Friday was that the biggest 18 public charge suppliers have formed a new trade body - ChargeUK - with the intention of offering a greater degree of coordination between industry and government.
Additionally, there’s a commitment to spend £6 billion on the charging infrastructure and double the UK charger stock throughout 2023.
Given that there are lots of drivers out there who won’t switch because ‘the infrastructure isn’t there’, what will the tipping point be?
Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Andrew-T

£6 billion just for a lot of plug-ins and convenience .... there must be more deserving causes.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - focussed
The "tipping point" as you term it will not be charge suppliers, new trade bodies or charging infrastructure, it will be the elephant in the room - energy supply and energy security.

By the time Hinkley Point C is complete and scheduled to be operational by September 2028 there will be only one nuclear reactor operating in the UK - Sizewell B.
Will there be enough power available to charge EV's by then?

Realistically the only options to fill the nuclear gap are to keep the remaining coal stations and build more gas. At a pinch you can build a CCGT in 2 years…

But that opens another door - Will there be enough gas ...........?
Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - sammy1

Welcome news. How will you get 18 charger suppliers to agree to anything especially price? For me it is still about range and price of EVS The system of placing the odd charger here and there often in obscure places to make up numbers does not seem to work. Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times Reduced charging times would be a big help. I always holiday in the UK self catering with a dog so need a decent size car and wonder if a EV will ever be suitable. New ones are too expensive and I would have no trust in a second hand one

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Adampr

Presumably the £6bn is private money? Presumably they've realised they could easily spend twice as much for half the profit if they don't coordinate. The fears of a cartel will appear pretty soon, which will trigger the inevitable regulation. I'd suggest regulation may well be the tipping point as it sees wide recognition that something has moved from a bit of a cottage industry to a national business.

As for energy, I'll trot out my usual line that the grid is already capable of handling every ICE vehicle changing to an EV overnight. It would require the coal fired power stations being switched back on, which would obviously not help with the hoped-for carbon savings. Longer term, Hinckley and the increasing amounts of wind and solar should pick up the slack.

To answer the next bit - on dark windless days we can buy power from the continent on sunny.windy days we can sell it back. Yes, storage would be better and is hopefully coming.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Bolt

I'll trot out my usual line that the grid is already capable of handling every ICE vehicle changing to an EV overnight.

For a few years maybe but as more are put on the road I think thats when the fun starts, ie charging only at certain times to prevent overloading the grid (oh happy days to come eh lol)

Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times Reduced charging times would be a big help

You can have as many as you want, but without the supply they will be no good and as focussed said gonna take a few years to build the generators, I doubt charging times will be a problem in 5 or so years, but certain batteries are going to be delayed as they are not working to plan

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Terry W

Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times Reduced charging times would be a big help

You can have as many as you want, but without the supply they will be no good and as focussed said gonna take a few years to build the generators, I doubt charging times will be a problem in 5 or so years, but certain batteries are going to be delayed as they are not working to plan

Just scare mongering - if you are concerned carry on driving an ICE for the next 20 years.

There is only a limited "peak time" for charging EVs. Crunch points are likely to be m/ways on bank and start of school holidays. Most EV users will need to charge only once or twice a week and can chose their charge time.

Flexible pricing will encourage charging when green energy production is high (wind blowing) and other demand low. Given the choice you would charge an EV at (say) 15p a unit at 3.00am rather than 100p a unit at 17.00 during the evening rush.

The EV may even be programable to draw a charge only when the unit price falls below a certain threshold, or the battery below a pre-set charge level. Plug in and forget!

Just scare mongering -

You think, I think there is more scaremongering amongst the EV fans than ice drivers

if you are concerned carry on driving an ICE for the next 20 years.

-I`m going to as long as I can, at least until there is a choice of fuels- Hydrogen is what I`m waiting for but that will be one of a few choices in 10 years

Bad idea having all EVs imo

I don't think there is a "tipping point" at which all new car buying decisions will transition to EV as users have different needs - urban/rural dwellers, high/low mileage, job needs etc.

S/h buying decision will not be impacted until there is a much greater availability of s/h EVs in a few years time.

A common approach to charger network development, user apps, hardware commonality etc should make life easier for users and reduce costs. There may also be much better coordination of infrastructure to avoid charger spa*** and rich areas.

Pricing needs to be carefully regulated to avoid the charging network becoming (effectively) a single monopoly supplier to EV owners.

It is a personal choice whether to go EV based on individual needs, affordability, and biases (however irrational). S/h ICE will probably be available for 20+ years.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - badbusdriver

Would it though?. An EV with a 50kWh battery is going to require the same amount of power to charge it up regardless of how long that process takes. Quicker charging is surely going to place a bigger load on the national grid, albeit over a shorter period of time.

What is needed is a complete change in the mindset of most buyers from, "bigger (faster/more powerful) is better", to "less is more". Smaller EV's weigh less so they can get away with a smaller battery with no loss in range. And charging those smaller batteries places less demand on the national grid.

Regardless of how you feel about its (ahem!) unconventional looks, the thinking behind Citroen's Oli concept car is where we should be going. Not just because its lightness (at 1000kg, it is lighter than pretty much any ICE car of a similar size) allows a smaller battery, but totally minimising the interior in terms of tech and screens. What little infotainment there is is bolstered by the owners smartphone, thereby vastly reducing the need for its own chips, semiconductors etc.

Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times ?

The assumption behind all these discussions is that everyone will continue (and will be able to) drive as, when, and as far as, they like. Another way to square this circle is to reduce travel - some have already chosen to limit their commuting by WFH. As with expanding population, some day (year) soon, human freedom will be constrained somehow, preferably willingly but more likely unpleasantly.

Best enjoy while we can - which is the underlying difficulty of course :-(

Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times ?

The assumption behind all these discussions is that everyone will continue (and will be able to) drive as, when, and as far as, they like. Another way to square this circle is to reduce travel - some have already chosen to limit their commuting by WFH. As with expanding population, some day (year) soon, human freedom will be constrained somehow, preferably willingly but more likely unpleasantly.

Best enjoy while we can - which is the underlying difficulty of course :-(

I have to agree with you on this, it does seem as though our freedoms are being eroded and no one seems to notice.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - alan1302

I have to agree with you on this, it does seem as though our freedoms are being eroded and no one seems to notice.

What can't you do now that you could do say 10 years ago?

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - John F

.....it does seem as though our freedoms are being eroded and no one seems to notice.

Travel and trade without hindrance between the UK and countries in the EU.

.....it does seem as though our freedoms are being eroded and no one seems to notice.

Travel and trade without hindrance between the UK and countries in the EU.

Yeah, had not thought of that - although I'm sure GordonBennet would have wanted that restrction on his freedom.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - gordonbennet
Andrew they'll have you on a list talking like that, i agree with every word by the way.

We've seen the best years of motoring, and i sadly believe the best years of freedoms in the west came to an abrupt end in 2020.

""Will there ever be enough public chargers to satisfy demand at peak times Reduced charging times would be a big help

Would it though?. An EV with a 50kWh battery is going to require the same amount of power to charge it up regardless of how long that process takes. Quicker charging is surely going to place a bigger load on the national grid, albeit over a shorter period of time.""

If the National Grid cannot coupe then EVs will be the dodo of the car industry. What the public require of public chargers is a much quicker turnover at the pump ala petrol stations. If this becomes possible then the few designated charger stations would grow nationwide and there would be no need to have to hunt down obscure single ones.

How to car batteries work? Does very fast charging generate more heat or indeed none? Is the battery damaged in any way

Does very fast charging generate more heat or indeed none? Is the battery damaged in any way

It generates heat, which is controlled as is charging by computer controlled circuits even the way the charge is applied to the batteries is controlled according to the type of battery installed, this control also helps the battery last longer what with cooling as well

charging is a simple process to the people doing the charging, underneath the car is complicated control circuits so not as simple as made out!

Does very fast charging generate more heat or indeed none? Is the battery damaged in any way ?

It generates heat, ...

Any current in a conductor generates heat proportional to the volts and amps being passed - unless it is a superconductor, which normally requires temperatures much lower than are found at any charging station. Fast charging means more amps, so faster generation of heat which requires faster dissipation. Fast charging therefore means thicker cables to reduce resistance, which then become impossibly heavy or stiff, and the Chinese near-monopoly on copper places a cost limit. There is always a trade-off somewhere.

Edited by Andrew-T on 30/04/2023 at 15:05

Does very fast charging generate more heat or indeed none? Is the battery damaged in any way ?

It generates heat, ...

Any current in a conductor generates heat proportional to the volts and amps being passed - unless it is a superconductor, which normally requires temperatures much lower than are found at any charging station. Fast charging means more amps, so faster generation of heat which requires faster dissipation. Fast charging therefore means thicker cables to reduce resistance, which then become impossibly heavy or stiff, and the Chinese near-monopoly on copper places a cost limit. There is always a trade-off somewhere.

Chinese near-monopoly on copper? Figures for world mined copper production 2020. Chile 5700 thousand tons Peru 2200 thousand tons China 1700 thousand tons

<< Chinese near-monopoly on copper? Figures for world mined copper production 2020. Chile 5700 thousand tons Peru 2200 thousand tons China 1700 thousand tons >>

Yes, but who is behind those figures, especially in Africa ?

ASFAIK Chile, Peru and China are not in Africa.

I don't see the point in your post apart form questioning the figures.

Wikipedia.

Other figures are available.

www.statista.com/statistics/281023/leading-copper-.../

China isn't a major player.
sadly believe the best years of freedoms in the west came to an abrupt end in 2020.

What can't you do now that say you could not do 10 years ago?

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - catsdad

What can’t you do? Go about your business without being recorded on cameras. Drive without your car’s speed and whereabouts being monitored. Spend large amounts of cash without having to account for how you got it. Vote without photo identity. Assume you will always be free to leave your house/go on holiday/ eat out/meet friends when you choose to. Not have your phone going off to advise you of impending doom.

I am not saying these are all without some justification or benefit to wider society but there has been a steady tightening of what we can or can’t do without some official meddling or control.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Crickleymal

What can’t you do? Go about your business without being recorded on cameras. Drive without your car’s speed and whereabouts being monitored. Spend large amounts of cash without having to account for how you got it. Vote without photo identity. Assume you will always be free to leave your house/go on holiday/ eat out/meet friends when you choose to. Not have your phone going off to advise you of impending doom.

I am not saying these are all without some justification or benefit to wider society but there has been a steady tightening of what we can or can’t do without some official meddling or control.

None of those have changed in the last ten years. We were the most monitored by CCTV country ten years ago. Monitoring your speed hasn't changed. The only thing is being able to vote without photo ID which is completely unnecessary as voter fraud is miniscule in this country.

Plenty of camers about 10 years ago...however how is that affecting your freedom, it does not stop you from doing thing in anyway?

How is your cars speed and wherabouts monitored? Mine isn't. If you mean speed cameras then there have been police patrols monitoing for a long while...and sadly it's required due to the number of bad drivers.

Don't know about the spending thing? What do you mean?

Vote without photo id...does that just ensure the person voting is the correct person rather than a restriction on your freedom as you can still vote.

Other than for a very short time during lockdowns when else could you not leave your house/holiday/visit people? Maybe during WWII?

You can disable the alerts if you don't want them on your phone.

How is your cars speed and wherabouts monitored? Mine isn't.

If you have a mobile phone that is monitored, the phone company for one know where you are and what speed you were going to get there.

( think you will find Iphones do as well) even your sim card monitors what your phone is doing and transmits what you have been doing, it does have its own OS after all....

also most EVs will have transmitters built in to computer so will know and transmit all cars info to a mainframe, iirc similar to Teslas

EV’s have embedded ‘charge curves’ which will dictate the rate of charge dependent upon the current state of charge and battery temperature.
If a battery is too hot or too cold, it’ll slow down the charge rate. Which is why it’s always s good idea to use the car’s native satnav plot the route and charge stops - that way the car can start to precondition the battery ahead of arrival at a rapid charger.
They’ll usually hold a good speed up to 80% charge ( I was 125kW going into a Genesis the other day), but then is starts to slow. Quicker to make a 15 minute second stop than wait for it to get from 80-100%.
800v architecture is increasingly becoming adopted (the Koreans are leading the way on this), so on-car cabling can be lighter with charging times shortened.
Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - madf

Anyone who thinks Wind is going to solve our issues has not been watching Gridwatch in the last month (April) see gridwatch.co.uk/Wind

Forget summer : demand is low. In Apri; wind output was low due to long periods of still air.. and solar was affected by long periods of damp cloudy weather. This Year Daily averages chart says it all. Wind often was at under 10% of demand - in summer it can be 50%.

And remember, on peak days, much WInd output is wasted - the Grid cabling has not been upgraded and cannot cope.. We pay suppliers anyway. (!)

I note the Tesla ad for the new EV truck : talk of $200k pa savings per truck in running costs: $0.07KWH vs diesel/petrol $.40.

Would not work in UK: electricity costs are far too high.

Black outs in 2029

The long term answer to intermittent energy (eg: wind) is storage. EV batteries can provide some of this.

A more immediate answer is that the UK needs a clear energy strategy embedding energy supply from a number of sources.

Nuclear can provide a base load.

Wind and solar can provide green energy, albeit intermittent. Tidal (eg: Severn barrage) could be intermittent but predictable.

For the foreseeable future (20-30 years) gas can provide capacity to balance any shortfall in both nuclear and other green energy. This requires almost no investment in new capacity - only maintenance of existing.

It may eventually be worth building new gas generation capacity simply to act as a back up to intermittent wind. Wind has a high capital cost and low operating costs. Gas is the opposite - comparatively low capital costs and high running costs.

The main risk to electricity supply is a lack of a strategy and plan, not the variability of wind power.

The long term answer to intermittent energy (eg: wind) is storage. EV batteries can provide some of this.

Large areas of the world are being dug up to satisfy increasing demand for battery material for EVs deemed essential to purify the atmosphere. Relying on even more stationary batteries to cope with peaks of electricity demand will not help.

Large areas of the world are being dug up to satisfy increasing demand for battery material for EVs deemed essential to purify the atmosphere. Relying on even more stationary batteries to cope with peaks of electricity demand will not help.

The areas being dug up for materials used specifically in EV's are frankly tiny by comparison to what else humans mine from the planet.

94% of EVERYTHING mined from the ground is iron ore (3.2 billion tons in 2019). Materials needed specifically for EV batteries makes up a tiny percentage of that remaining 6%, way down below bauxite, manganese, chromium, lead, nickel, zinc, titanium, zircon, magnesium, strontium, etc, etc.

And lets not forget about the 15+ billion tons (in 2021) of oil taken from the ground (to be burned once).

That isn't to say other solutions shouldn't be sought for EV batteries (and they are), but people who jump up and down about the impact caused by mining for the specific materials needed for EV batteries really ought to factor in some context.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Metropolis.
At least with oil, we allegedly get warmer weather

No, we get different and more extreme weather types - it won't always be warmer.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Engineer Andy

No, we get different and more extreme weather types - it won't always be warmer.

I've read that the instances of 'extreme weather events' like hurricanes have actually decreased over the past decades. And those 'experts' have now gone quite over the 'great standstill' over 'rising' global temperatures, which now haven't risen for over a decade.

Most problems we've experienced come because of over population - building large numbers of homes on flood plains or on prime farmland / countryside areas, not dredging rivers, not maintaining or upgrading (to take into account all the extra usage) drains, sewerage and water treatment systems, or electricity, water and gas distribution networks.

I've read that the instances of 'extreme weather events' like hurricanes have actually decreased over the past decades. And those 'experts' have now gone quite over the 'great standstill' over 'rising' global temperatures, which now haven't risen for over a decade.

Most problems we've experienced come because of over population - building large numbers of homes on flood plains or on prime farmland / countryside areas, not dredging rivers, not maintaining or upgrading (to take into account all the extra usage) drains, sewerage and water treatment systems, or electricity, water and gas distribution networks.

The temperature is still rising.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/global-t...s

Plenty of link on the net to show that is not true. Here is one:

Global warming hiatus - Wikipedia

Global temperatures have been increasing for decades now.

And it's not true about the hurricanes either:

Hurricanes and Climate Change - Center for Climate and Energy SolutionsCenter for Climate and Energy Solutions (c2es.org)

Where have you read about the opposite being true?

Plenty of link on the net to show that is not true. Here is one:

Global warming hiatus - Wikipedia

Global temperatures have been increasing for decades now.

And it's not true about the hurricanes either:

Hurricanes and Climate Change - Center for Climate and Energy SolutionsCenter for Climate and Energy Solutions (c2es.org)

Where have you read about the opposite being true?

The observed data overrides the narrative. "In summary, it is premature to conclude with high confidence that increasing atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations from human activities have had a detectable impact on Atlantic basin hurricane activity, although increasing greenhouse gases are strongly linked to global warming. climatlas.com/tropical/

<< ... people who jump up and down about the impact caused by mining for the specific materials needed for EV batteries really ought to factor in some context. >>

Point taken, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I should have suggested that increasing demand further for the minerals needed for large batteries would not help. Big holes have been dug for centuries. We as a nation are more than happy that, having dug up and sold much of our own mineral deposits (largely overseas) that our recent demands are being met where we can't see it. Nimby again ?

I should have suggested that increasing demand further for the minerals needed for large batteries would not help.

Sure, but that assumes battery tech doesn't change from what it currently is.

One of the big Chinese car manufacturers, BYD, is going to be launching a model with a sodium ion battery imminently.

I also learned the other day from a YT video that Australian scientists have discovered an enzyme in a common soil bacterium which converts air to electricity. How or if this could be harnessed on the kind of scale needed remains to be seen, but it should give hope. It is also ample proof that while ICE technology has gone pretty much as far as it can, there is still much to discover and learn when it comes to batteries and electricity.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/05/2023 at 14:58

<< an enzyme in a common soil bacterium which converts air to electricity >>

Sorry, but lol :-))

www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/article/scientists-discover-enz...e.

You don't need to apologise. Unlike you I am not a scientist in any way shape or form, so cannot really comment on whether or not this is possible.

However, here is a link to the relevant article from the website of Monarsh University in Melbourne.

scientists-discover-an-enzyme-that-turns-air-into-electricity-providing-a-new-clean-source-of-energy

You don't need to apologise. Unlike you I am not a scientist in any way shape or form, so cannot really comment on whether or not this is possible.

However, here is a link to the relevant article from the website of Monarsh University in Melbourne.

scientists-discover-an-enzyme-that-turns-air-into-electricity-providing-a-new-clean-source-of-energy

I have heard about this being found in volcanos, not taken any notice though, but coming from different sources maybe something in it. you never know!

You don't need to apologise. However, here is a link to the relevant article from the website of Monarsh University in Melbourne.

Thanks for the link. The first few sentences clarify the situation : the enzyme doesn't convert 'air' into electricity, it converts the very small amount of atmospheric hydrogen. So I doubt it can contribute much to the running of any vehicle. :-)

Hydrogen is found in great quantities on Earth combined with other elements, such as in water and hydrocarbons, but it is barely present in our atmosphere, which contains just 0.00005%.

Hydrogen already combined with other elements would require energy input to extract it - possibly more than the energy in the hydrogen!

Not likely to be a transport solution!!

Hydrogen is found in great quantities on Earth combined with other elements, such as in water and hydrocarbons, but it is barely present in our atmosphere, which contains just 0.00005%.

Hydrogen already combined with other elements would require energy input to extract it ...

There is very little atmospheric hydrogen, partly because it combines easily (as said here) but also because of its very low mass, earth's gravity is not enough to stop it drifting off into space, where most 'cosmic' hydrogen exists.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - corax

Hydrogen already combined with other elements would require energy input to extract it ...

There is very little atmospheric hydrogen, partly because it combines easily (as said here) but also because of its very low mass, earth's gravity is not enough to stop it drifting off into space, where most 'cosmic' hydrogen exists.

That's disappointing. I thought you would be able to tow a trailer of soil with a couple of electrodes inserted.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Ethan Edwards

It's odd that people give such consideration where the electricity is coming from and how the grid can support this. What is the sustainability, and were any ocelots harmed in the creation of my new Tesla etc.

All very laudable I'm sure.

But do purchasers of new petrol cars spend any time worrying about peak oil theory and how the lesser spotted marmosets might be affected, by clinate flummery ? I'd wager not.

Clearly a double standard.

All very laudable I'm sure. Clearly a double standard.

Probably true, but that is back to my earlier point - too many people like doing too much travelling in the long term (petrol vehicles have only been around for about 130 years and recoverable oil reserves are well on the way to exhaustion already). Any kind of mass travel requires energy in some form, and EVs are only a way to avoid polluting metropolitan areas with exhaust. Petroleum is solar energy stored over millions of years, and that process is being rapidly reversed. The amount we could capture via solar panels will not go far to meet the demand. Nuclear ? to drive all the EVs - I doubt it.

The amount we could capture via solar panels will not go far to meet the demand. Nuclear ? to drive all the EVs - I doubt it.

Transport is a major part of UK energy consumption (approx 30%) - a shift to EV is significant but not game changing.

France generates 68% of electricity from nuclear - it would be entirely possible for the UK to meet all energy needs now and in the future from nuclear. It would be strategically risky being reliant on only one energy source so not a sensible idea.

Solar power makes significant demands upon land use so may not be capable of effectively unlimited capacity. It can make a worthwhile contribution.

But wind power over the last year has provided 30% of electricity output. A cursory look at any wind farm map suggests that wind power alone could comfortably meet total UK demand - although variability and storage is an issue.

I have a very tenuous theory that Elon Musk is so obsessed with space so that he can start launching nuclear waste up there and therefore make nuclear power plants sustainable.

In the meantime, I should also point out that (notwithstanding night time and transmission losses...) it would be possible to provide the entire world's electricity needs by covering a little over 1% of the Sahara in solar panels.

I have a very tenuous theory that Elon Musk is so obsessed with space so that he can start launching nuclear waste up there and therefore make nuclear power plants sustainable.

In the meantime, I should also point out that (notwithstanding night time and transmission losses...) it would be possible to provide the entire world's electricity needs by covering a little over 1% of the Sahara in solar panels.

The only problem with the Sahara is political instability. Look what happened with Russia and gas. But yes I get the point. We could cover every supermarket carpark with panels which at least would have the side effect of providing shelter from the rain.

As for Musk, I could believe your theory.

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - corax
Solar power makes significant demands upon land use so may not be capable of effectively unlimited capacity. It can make a worthwhile contribution.

I used to think that the use of arable land was a waste for solar panels. But some of that land is poor quality, from the over use of chemical fertilsers and no rotation of the land between crops and animals. Driven by previous subsidies, there was no incentive for farmers to continue doing that, to the detriment of the soil. So at least the land is rested, and solar panels can be removed later.

Edited by corax on 03/05/2023 at 13:28

I used to think that the use of arable land was a waste for solar panels. But some of that land is poor quality, from the over use of chemical fertilsers and no rotation of the land between crops and animals. Driven by previous subsidies, there was no incentive for farmers to continue doing that, to the detriment of the soil. So at least the land is rested, and solar panels can be removed later.

I doubt if that would be feasible, given most if not all such large scale schemes would need the full lifetime of the panels at the very least to justify the expense of building it, and especially the upgrades of local links to the existing power network.

Old style crop rotation - including a year for 'fallow' used to work just fine. As I've said on other posts, there's loads of rooftop spaces available to not need ANY solar farms on arable or other countryside land. Building owners just need a gentle push with appropriate incentives where it helps those who cannot afford the outlay but would benefit from being a net energy supplier or near to.

The current wheeze with arable land is to sell it to developers who have to deliver 'nitrate neutrality'. Fertilisers contain high levels of nitrates and phosphates that get into water ways causing algae, which kills of wildlife. To stop it from getting worse, developers need to show that what they're doing doesn't increase nutrient run off. This is largely impossible, so the solution is to buy arable land, take it out of farming and just leave it. That offsets any increase in nutrients from the new development.

Large scale arable farming in this country is at an end.

In that case we need to think of more ways to generate income to pay for importing even more food than we already do. Let's hope the wizards in the city can keep their eyes on the ball a bit longer ?

In that case we need to think of more ways to generate income to pay for importing even more food than we already do. Let's hope the wizards in the city can keep their eyes on the ball a bit longer ?

It's that or eat them.

Isn't that the leftists and Establishment reason for importing more people? Unfortunately it has the big side effect of compound that very problem, amongst many, many others.

Which is why we should be doing exactly the opposite - more self-reliance by being as self-sufficient on fuel, food and jobs. Odd how it wasn't the case from the late 90s onwards, when, as someone put it, 'something happened'.

The amount we could capture via solar panels will not go far to meet the demand. Nuclear ? to drive all the EVs - I doubt it.

Transport is a major part of UK energy consumption (approx 30%) - a shift to EV is significant but not game changing.

France generates 68% of electricity from nuclear - it would be entirely possible for the UK to meet all energy needs now and in the future from nuclear. It would be strategically risky being reliant on only one energy source so not a sensible idea.

That might be the case if we didn't have a reliable source of fuel or that the tech wasn't itself proven. I wasn't aware that either is the case, but diversifying energy production methods is still worthwhile. Nuclear is, after all, a base load technology, unlike wind, solar and tidal.

Only because the wallies in charge in Whitehall and for planning at local/regional level seem to be pushing for solar farms rather than actively encouraging owners of large footprint buildings (or any reasonable home owner) from utilising their roofs for PV arrays to locally generate enough electricity to make a decent contribution to the national load most of the time and to take pressure off regional and national grid networks (rebalancing / dealing with power cuts).

But wind power over the last year has provided 30% of electricity output. A cursory look at any wind farm map suggests that wind power alone could comfortably meet total UK demand - although variability and storage is an issue.

Wind power may have on average made a 30% contribution, but as I'm sure you're well aware, that contribution varies enormously over each day and from week to week, because the wind is highly variable - too much or too little means that the turbines are out of action and thus the base load MUST be there to cope with that shortfall.

Unfortunately, all the other 'green' technologies are also variable, and thus cannot be relied upon at peak times, especially in winter when the demand is highest, and even more so if the foolish switchover to electric only heating with no stored backup for the vast majority is forced through.

Solar panels on commercial properties has not taken off either due to the cost or more likely most commercial properties are not owned but leased. Private houses are not jumping on board with solar panels/Storage batteries due to the cost and payback time of some 8-10 years. I expect the landowners giving over fields to solar are on a nice little earner at the consumers expense probably hidden in the ever mysterious and increasing standing charges. It will not be long before all the Carbon capture nonsense is included in the SC. There are different views as ever on the merits of CC, I suppose when the trees start dying they will admit to the folly.

I’ve said it before, but golf courses are prime to be covered with solar arrays.

230km2 of solar arrays in the U.K.
1256km2 of golf courses.

As a concession golfists can keep St Andrews because it’s pretty to look at.
Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - Sofa Spud

Standardisation for EV charging would obviously make the transition easier. But standardisation can be a double-edged sword when applied to emerging or rapidly developing technologies because it makes it more difficult for future superior innovations to gain a foothold.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 06/05/2023 at 10:13

It is pretty much standardised, certainly in terms of car hardware.
All European and American brands use Type 2/CCS which will take both AC and DC charges (you convert it from Type 2 (AC) to DC by pulling out a rubber bung in the charge port and utilising all the pins to deploy rapid charging.
Japanese brands have used Chademo connectors (up to LEAF, in Nissan’s range) but Ariya has gone CCS.
To use a more familiar analogy, Chademo is Betamax and has been usurped by CCS playing the role of VHS.
Public rapid chargers (with the exception of Tesla Superchargers) will usually have both CCS and Chademo plugs.
Paying for it is also getting simpler with more chargers adding contactless payment as well as app access.

Standardisation for EV charging would obviously make the transition easier. But standardisation can be a double-edged sword when applied to emerging or rapidly developing technologies because it makes it more difficult for future superior innovations to gain a foothold.

The problem at the moment, especially as producer cost in the West are artificially even higher than the historical norm, is that the wallies in power (not just in the UK) are now mandating that from very soon, car manufacturers HAVE to sell X% EVs per year, rising as we get nearer to 2030 / 2035.

It's not like the car manufacturers can a) force prices lower than their costs, b) artificially magic new tech out of thin air for almost nothing and c) force the public to shell out way more than they can afford (never mind the other issues running an EV for many) to buy an EV) even second hand).

All that this will do - ironically - (this was mentioned in a Telegraph article today) is to further encourage cheapo Chinese EV producers who have a far lower cost base and drive Western car manufacturers near to bankrupcy.

Yeah, more Chinese dominance, that's what the West needs. Not.

Either those making the policy decisions and those whispering in their ears what to do are completely inept or corrupt. Even a blind man could see that these policies are wrong.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 06/05/2023 at 18:41

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - martin.mc

Trying to run cars from batteries seems a lot of hassle. What's needed is some sort of liquid fuel, high in energy content, that can be easily transported from one place to another and stored in underground tanks at specially constructed refuelling stations situated along motorways and main roads. Space permitting, some supermarkets might be able to incorporate such stations into their car parks. Motorists would be able to drive in, fill up or top up as required, then pay with a bank card or even cash. All this in the space of a few minutes, eliminating the need for lengthy queues. If a litre of this fuel had enough energy to power a small to medium sized car for around ten miles, drivers would be able to travel 400 miles or more without having to stop and refuel. So no Range Anxiety. Finally, the government could take 70% of the retail price in taxation and use the revenue generated for maintaining and improving our road system.

Edited by martin.mc on 07/05/2023 at 02:20

Any - EV - Joined up Thinking - KB.

Nah, that'll never catch on.

Trying to run cars from batteries seems a lot of hassle. What's needed is some sort of liquid fuel, high in energy content, that can be easily transported from one place to another and stored in underground tanks at specially constructed refuelling stations situated along motorways and main roads. Space permitting, some supermarkets might be able to incorporate such stations into their car parks. Motorists would be able to drive in, fill up or top up as required, then pay with a bank card or even cash. All this in the space of a few minutes, eliminating the need for lengthy queues. If a litre of this fuel had enough energy to power a small to medium sized car for around ten miles, drivers would be able to travel 400 miles or more without having to stop and refuel. So no Range Anxiety. Finally, the government could take 70% of the retail price in taxation and use the revenue generated for maintaining and improving our road system.

If you can do that without puttng out dangerous toxins then you would be on to a winner with that, otherwise, no thanks. I want things to be better in the future not worse.

<< I want things to be better in the future not worse. >>

Don't we all ? The problem is that some things will be better, others worse, and it's not easy to tell what is which (if you see what I mean).

Don't we all ? The problem is that some things will be better, others worse, and it's not easy to tell what is which (if you see what I mean).

IMO, I doubt anyone is going to win on this one, too many variables to overcome and not enough cash around to sort the problems out, tech is a long way off as well, even though a lot think it will all change tomorrow, it would be nice if it did, its not a negative attitude but a realistic look at the problems, not that many see it that way and never will....

he problem is that some things will be better, others worse,

It doesn't have to be worse.

the problem is that some things will be better, others worse,

It doesn't have to be worse.

No, but i am certain that not everything will be better - from which it follows that ....

Or you may be an incurable optimist. One thing that is unlikely to improve is traffic conditions, and if current behaviour continues, road surfaces.