Ford fiesta - Oil light stays on then service message next day - Rory Mason

Hi there,

Ford fiesta, 2009, 1.6L engine 135k miles.

Yesterday my oil light came on (amber I think it can go red too?) I checked the oil and because I’m an i**** the oil was below min having not been topped up in a while. I stopped driving and topped the car up to near max this morning, took for a half hour drive but light stayed on. I’ve then just started the car and the ‘oil change due next service’ warning has come on and this makes sense as last service was 11k ago, but this is nearly 24 hours after the light first came on. I’m due to work the weekend has a delivery driver which means heavy usage of the car and I’m basically unsure whether to drive it or not - whether it really is just an oil change needed soon or something else. All in all may be a stupid question but any road thank you for reading and any advice,

Rory

Ford fiesta - Oil light stays on then service message next day - Adampr

Is the oil light still on?

Have you checked the level again? If it was very low, you may not have put enough in.

If the light is on and the level is fine, I would avoid driving it.

Ford fiesta - Oil light stays on then service message next day - Andrew-T

As you have found a 'defect' and corrected it, I would assume you could drive the car as usual. But this is a car with some built-in 'intelligence' so it may choose to do something unexpected. OTOH you said 'the oil light' which I would take as a warning - to which you have responded. Does the handbook suggest anything ?