What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - Metropolis.
1986 review from Motorweek.

youtu.be/JCG0M0RV-sQ

I love that they kept the old body style on sale alongside this in v12 only for another 6 years or so. Looking now, I am not sure which I prefer. But I definitely prefer both to the X351.

“The new XJ6 is quite simply the best luxury sedan that money can buy.” I think they liked it!

Edited by Metropolis. on 27/04/2023 at 19:06

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - craig-pd130
I love that they kept the old body style on sale alongside this in v12 only for another 6 years or so.

BL execs wanted Jaguar to use the Rover V8 in the XJ40, so it's strongly rumoured that Jaguar engineers specifically designed the engine bay so the V8 wouldn't fit.

This also meant that the V12 wouldn't fit either, until substantial revisions were made to the front end and engine bay in the early 90s. A great example of the battle between bean-counters and enthusiast engineers.

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - madf
I love that they kept the old body style on sale alongside this in v12 only for another 6 years or so.

BL execs wanted Jaguar to use the Rover V8 in the XJ40, so it's strongly rumoured that Jaguar engineers specifically designed the engine bay so the V8 wouldn't fit.

This also meant that the V12 wouldn't fit either, until substantial revisions were made to the front end and engine bay in the early 90s. A great example of the battle between bean-counters and enthusiast engineers.

Not so : a good example of blinkered engineering teams and parochial management.

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - galileo

Not so : a good example of blinkered engineering teams and parochial management.

Reminiscent of BL not using Rover V8 engines in Triumph Stags, which many thought was due to inter-brand rivalry.

Developing the overheating prone (and heavier)Triumph V8 must have been costly.

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - expat
"BL execs wanted Jaguar to use the Rover V8 in the XJ40, so it's strongly rumoured that Jaguar engineers specifically designed the engine bay so the V8 wouldn't fit. "
There are a lot of guys out there who have put in a small block Chev V8.
One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - _

Nonsense.

The AJ6 was well into the developement process and the 3.6 was a very good engine. we had few problems with them.

XJ40 early problems that i remember (in the dealers) were, power steering fluid bottles leaking, air con blower motors, some door mirrors, rear lights colouring fading eapidly (switzerland)

Edited by _ORB_ on 29/04/2023 at 08:44

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - badbusdriver

Nonsense.

The AJ6 was well into the developement process and the 3.6 was a very good engine. we had few problems with them.

XJ40 earlt problems that i remember (in the dealers) were, power steering fluid bottles leaking, air con bloeer motors, some door mirrors, rear lights colouring fading eapidly (switzerland)

I was under the impression there were electrical problems too, was that not the case?

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - _

Air conditioning blowers and yes now you remind me the digital dash displays. We had one in stock so we could fit it while the customers was sent off to be fixed.

By the way, I hated that early diagnostic system on a4 wheel trolley complete with the little printout like a till roll.

Let's not go down the road of jaguar quality control or lack of it

The 2.9 aj6 was said to have problems. But oddly I never saw one.

Edited by _ORB_ on 29/04/2023 at 08:52

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - badbusdriver

Let's not go down the road of jaguar quality control or lack of it

I do remember Jaguar, for a time anyway, was second only to Lexus in the JD Power survey for customer satisfaction. If I recall this was during Ford's ownership, so would probably have been after the XJ40. But it was proof that Jag could compete with the best.

One for the Jag fans, Jaguar XJ6 - John F

The 2.9 aj6 was said to have problems. But oddly I never saw one.

They were targeted to countries where there was a huge tax hike for anything above this engine size.