What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The Internet - Automated Automotive Idiocy - edlithgow

There has always been A LOT of BS on the internyet in an automotive context.

Quora, for example, has long been my go to resource when I need A Comprehensive Compendium of Cobblers.

Lately, though, I sense a change, though I'm probably rather late in sensing it. Quite a lot of this BS is now probably not being directly generated by i****s. Its being generated by AI systems.

Heres a striking example

bryansgarage.com/types-of-cylinder-wall-damage/

"Arcing Damage

Arcing damage is one of the most common cylinder wall damages that can cause a quick heat rise to destroy the cylinder and cause cylinder liner damage.

This damage originates from welding operations and negatively affects the cylinder wall. It also produces a pressure relief and explosion to activate.

Arching can result in faster dissociation in the engine to generate larger injuries and destruction when this problem happens on a fuel gas cylinder, including acetylene"

This is striking only because its so bad. Even the internyet is unlikely to be able to find much human-generated output of such abysmal quality, so I assume AI is involved, either in machine mis-translation, and/or actual generation of the nonsense.

(It fails a twist on the Turing test: comparison with a human i****)

It becomes more of a threat when the quality improves. We have an example apparently stalking this forum at the moment which generates content that makes sense, but doesn't actually contribute anything. This kind of AI-generated "super-spam" seems to have the potential to swamp useful content.

I dunno what one does about that.

If these things were actually useful, which is at least a theoretical possibility, that would be a further complication.

Are any useful automotive AI applications known?

Wasn't there something called Skynet?

Edited by edlithgow on 22/04/2023 at 03:58

The Internet - Automated Automotive Idiocy - Brit_in_Germany

Are we talking acetylene welding gas cylinders or ICEs?

The Internet - Automated Automotive Idiocy - Bolt

Possibly ice, as certain VW and BMW engines had bore cracking which some welded to repair, often didn`t work as the weld caused hidden bore damage and blew the engine/severely damaged it

so not sure if Ed meant that people did not do this? or he was talking about gas cylinders, but people did used to weld up cracked cylinder bores on certain engines....

The Internet - Automated Automotive Idiocy - edlithgow

Yáll seem to be trying to make sense of the material I quote, whereas my point was that it was nonsense.

I thought I was pretty clear about that.

If you can be bothered to look at the linked site, I think that should dispel any doubts re its quality.

I THINK this particular nonsense probably involves AI in its generation, which I think is likely to be a threat to future internet usefulness (at the least).

I suppose this might be a reason to go for Youtube videos as an information source (which I've tended to avoid up to now due to uneven quality and low info density) since it will be a while before AI can generate those at all convincingly.

The Internet - Automated Automotive Idiocy - Bolt

If you can be bothered to look at the linked site,

Your link did not work till Sunday, just before I wrote this, so managed to read it.

I`m not so sure its all AI as there are explanations out there for a lot of things from general i****s that just put there truth behind some problem solving

As for You Tube, there are good and bad videos on it which are rated by viewers, some posted on this forum that are plainly made up and possibly worse than the internet posting you linked to.

You Tube is getting bigger by the day and is bound to get as much rubbish posted as good stuff, you just have to fight through the carp and work out the good stuff

(292) O2 Sensor-No Activity Case Study: '04 Mitsubishi -Part1 - YouTube

I often watch Pine Hollow auto diagnostics as he delves deeper that some diagnostics but can be, if not interested, boring, as I have been told, but some I gave the link to say they like how deep he goes into it and his results