What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - Rommy

Greetings everyone,

I am sure this question has been asked many times before. But I would really appreciate your advise based on current circumstances.

I am after my first family car as I am currently driving a mk5 Golf and it needs to be replaced due to upcoming ULEZ changes. My budget is under £15k.
I have narrowed down my search to a saloon or a small suv. Also I would like to experience premium brand for first time hence I am really keen on a BMW.

I have found a 320d 2015 with 72k approved BMW used example at £12k and a 2017 X1 18d for £14k with similar mileage. Both are automatic as I only have automatic license

I understand 3 series is a much better car for driving enjoyment. But my main preference is comfort and a family car . So I am leaning more toward X1 as I believe it will hold its value better and might be more practical.

Can anyone please guide me based on above? Also advise which of these car have lower running costs?

Thank you

Below are the examples I narrowed down to

X1

BMW, X1, ULEZ Compliant, Leather, Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, 17" Alloy Wheels, Bluetooth, Climate Control

Used BMW X1 Cargiant - MT17XBC

www.cargiant.co.uk

320d

BMW 3 Series 320d ED Plus Saloon 2.0 4dr

This stunning Approved Used BMW has a Service Record in line with the high standards set by BMW UK and comes with a 12-month BMW Warranty free of charge. This particular car is loaded with exceptional extra features including: Automatic Transmission, 16" 656 light V Spoke alloy wheels, We are...

usedcars.bmw.co.uk

Edited by Salman Afzaal on 22/04/2023 at 00:19

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - badbusdriver

Can anyone please guide me based on above?

I'll try to put my inherent dislike for most so called "premium brands" to one side and be objective about your two choices.

And in all honesty, it is not difficult due to this being a family car!. Why would you contemplate a 3 Series saloon (rather than estate) as a family car?. So IMO it obviously has to go, leaving the X1 out of those two.

So I am leaning more toward X1 as I believe it will hold its value better

Curious to learn why you think the X1 will hold its value better than a 3 Series?

and might be more practical.

No might about it, the 3 Series is a 4 door saloon and the X1 is a 5 door SUV, so it is more practical.

Also advise which of these car have lower running costs?

Can't imagine there would be much difference in running costs as they both use the same engine (albeit in a higher state of tune for the 3 Series).

Finally, and this is very important. What mileage do you cover per year and what type of journeys?. Because if you are doing less than at least 12k, predominantly on faster roads, getting a diesel is not very wise at all.

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - _

Don't forget "Premium" applies to parts and repair costs.

But a 6 year old diesel for London use?

Don't forget euro 6 is not the final step. there could well be changes oming to Euro ratings

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/04/2023 at 08:11

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - Falkirk Bairn

At today's prices £15K is a modest budget - spending this on an 8 year old BMW diesel would, I suggest, be the wrong car to buy 3 Series on X1.

Repair costs for diesels tend to be a lot higher - if it has to be a BMW make it petrol.

My apologise missed the most important part.

My annual mileage is around 8k per annum. It will be mostly driven locally on weekdays and few long journeys on weekend and holidays.

I really want to try a crossover and I am very interested in Qashqai as well. Diesel is certainly not my preferred fuel. But I have read really bad reviews for 1.2 engine on Qashqai and BMW X1 seems like only available as diesel for my budget. 1.3 Qashqai is too expensive in automatic guise.

I love my Golf and it will be shame for it to go. The used car prices are so ridiculos now. Gone are day when you could have bought a decent car for under £10k

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - John F

I am after my first family car .........I have narrowed down my search to a saloon or a small suv.

Too narrow. Excludes the obvious choice - an estate car. Families need lots of space.

Also I would like to experience premium brand for first time hence I am really keen on a BMW.

Oh dear. On your budget, I think that might be unwise. (You may have heard the quip 'BigMoneyWorries'). Families tend to consume much of the household income for non-motorng items and services, so the less spent on cars the better. I would search for mid-size estates from Ford, VW or reputable far eastern makers.

You are absolutely right.

Is MG any good with automatic gear box or any other good Eastern option you can recommend?

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - Adampr

You are absolutely right.

Is MG any good with automatic gear box or any other good Eastern option you can recommend?

He said reputable! Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Kia, Hyundai. Not diesel.

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - elekie&a/c doctor
Unfortunately premium makes don’t come with premium reliability. For your budget, I’d be looking at a Suzuki vitara with the 1.4 booster jet petrol engine with an automatic shift . Functional and reliable.
BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - ThomWatt01

I agree with you.

BMW 320D vs F48 X1 - SLO76
I wouldn’t recommend either of them as a used buy. BMW’s don’t have a great reputation for longterm reliability and either of them could fall foul of future emissions regulations in your location. A much better bet would be a Mazda CX5 or CX3 with the robust 2.0 petrol motor and conventional torque converter automatic gearbox. These drive well, offer decent economy and don’t suffer all the reliability woes modern diesels do.

The CX3 is smaller but might just do the job, your money will get a younger, lower mileage example compared to a BMW.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303315824199

A young low mileage Suzuki Vitara would also offer vastly superior reliability to your older BMW duo.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304126219627

Throw in a bit more money and a Toyota RAV4 or C-HR Hybrid could be an option. The C-HR isn’t exactly spacious though but they’re reliable, economical and quite funky looking. There are Auris and Prius hybrids running around as taxis with massive mileages up and still giving good service.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/04/2023 at 22:14