What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - NBUK

I am new to UK. I am planning to get a 3-4 years old used automatic for 15K-20K. Being not sure of the road conditions (portholes, countryside roads etc), I consider Ford Focus Active, Toyota CHR, Suzuki Vitara due to their greater ground clearance. Is my concern valid? It not, I can expand my choice to include normal Focus, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and many others.

I am inclined towards approved used cars but they might not be available, especially Ford Focus Active. Some Ford dealers have many used Ford cars but not all of them are approved by Ford despite being in very good conditions according to sellers. One silly question is that why those cars are not approved by Ford.

If I buy used car and appoint an independent pre purchase inspector (RAC, AA, or ClickMechanic), how would this compared to buy an approved used car?

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - badbusdriver

I really wouldn't bother too much about approved used, they are often not what they are cracked up to be.

Out of your three choices, I'd leave the Focus Active and take either of the other two depending on your personal preference. Be aware that the Toyota warranty runs to 10 years as long as it has been serviced by a dealer.

Thank you for your advice

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - Adampr

All 'approved' really means is that the car is being sold by a franchised dealer and has a manufacturer's service history. You will probably get a longer warranty (typically 12 months) and pay more for the car. It is a better, but far from guaranteed, way of avoiding a bad car.

As for ground clearance, you won't need anything more than normal. Our roads are in a poor state but there aren't generally things to have to clear. You're better off looking for something with high profile tyres and/or softer suspension. I think the vehicles you've mentioned would be OK choices either way.

And the cars that you see at franchised dealers that are not approved are probably too old to qualify. No other reason.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - Ian_SW

And the cars that you see at franchised dealers that are not approved are probably too old to qualify. No other reason.

Another reason could be lack of full service history, which I think is a requirement of most manufacturer Approved used schemes. A large number of the "nearly new" cars (including "Approved Used") for sale were previously owned by the hire car companies rather than individuals.

Before the supply issues with new cars over the last couple of years, hire cars were moved on before their first service was due. More recently, hire companies have been forced to keep cars longer as they couldn't get enough new cars. I regularly have hire cars for work, and previously it was very unusual to get one more than about 9 months old or with more than 10000 miles on. Recently I've had quite a few (sone very rough) 2-3 year old cars with over 30000 miles on the clock. Many also have had the "Service Due" light on, with one telling me it was 12000 miles overdue an oil change!!

Thank you for your advice. I will keep that in mind. If I purchase approved used, would it be worthwhile to pay RAC / AA for inspection? I do not know much about car.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - badbusdriver

Depending on just exactly what you need out of your car, it is worth bearing in mind that a brand new Dacia Sandero Stepway auto is just under £20k. While this is a smaller car, it is only slightly smaller physically than a Vitara and the boot volume is only around 50 litres down on both. It has the raised ground clearance you want and the tyres are nice plump 205/60 x 16's. You can extend the standard 3 year/60k miles warranty up to a maximum of 6 years/100k miles for an extra £690 (there are various other combinations for less money)

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - KB.

There are several automatic Stepways on Dacia's site foe 18 or 19k with virtually no miles on them.

In fact there are a few virtually new Duster EDC automatics for just over £20k.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - bazza

I would add a couple of experiences regarding the Civic. I've recently changed to a Vitara the main reason being it was a 2012 and develoed the oil consumption problem with the piston rings. However, secondary reasons were it is a low car to get in and out of and the rear suspension is very soft, meaning that when loaded up, ground clearance was an issue, we experienced grounding out several times on steep twisting minor roads, tracks and boarding ferries. It's an excellent car otherwise but at its best on smooth roads. The Vitara suits us far better in these situations and handles as well as a normal hatch or estate. I've not experienced ground clearance problems in any other car you mention to be honest. I'd be very tempted by a Sandero, Duster or Vitara, all great value these days

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - KB.

There's a brand new version of the Duster due in 2024. There are a few guestimate images online showing what it's expected to look like. A bit like slightly shrunken Bigster - a bit butch and handsome, for those that like butch and handsome. For those who might fancy a new Duster and can wait for a while I expect the current model will be available at a bit of a discount when the new one arrives.

One thing that often crosses my mind when comparing new cars and not wanting to pay premium prices for the posher makes is .... is it better to look at Dacia with a lower list price but no discernible discount on offer - or look at something like a Skoda or Seat which has a higher list price but can be had at two or three grand off. Agreed the discount may only apply if taking out a PCP but if wishing to pay cash you can, as we all know, take the PCP and pay it off within a month or so.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - Metropolis.
Suzuki are a brilliant, underrated company, would be my personal pick.

Thank you for all advices.

Hello. Thankyou for your advice. I just chose an approved used Suzuki Vitara and I appointed an independent car inspector just for peace of mind.

Now, I do not have a vehicle nor any insurance. There is no drive away insurance as well. How do I purchase car insurance for the vehicle that I have yet to own? Shall I get a quote to lock the quotation and then pay the insurance right after the paper work has been completed at dealer? Or are there other methods? Most site recommend getting insurance quotation 30 days prior to effective date and will have lower premium.

Appreciate your help.

Get the insurance about a week before you buy the car. They will ask you what start date you want; tell them whatever date the dealer gives you for the sale to happen. If, for some reason, you don't buy the car you have fourteen days from buying the insurance policy to cancel without any financial penalty.

Thanks Adampr. Now I know there is a 14 days cancellation period.

Thanks for all your help. I still need some guidance of the remaining process. If there is not much issue after car inspection in 3 days, I will pay deposit in person and dealer will do the MOT. I will be required to pay the balance via bank transfer. I will need to appoint a trucking company remotely to deliver the car to me probably 7-10 days after car inspection.

1) What documents will I get on the day I pay the deposit?

2) What will happen the car keys? Do I get both or 1 key the day I pay deposit in their office? Do I ask the dealer to hand the keys to the trucking company and deliver to me together with the car?

3) If the dealer keeps the key, how can I get it without going to their office?

Really appreciate your help

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - sammy1

You will get a receipt for the deposit

The dealer will retain the keys

The trucking company you hire will deliver the car with the keys and all documents.

I do not know how far away the car is from your home but have you considered the hassle should you have to return the car to the dealer for any reason possibly warranty work? If you are paying a deposit in person why can you not pay the balance and drive it away?? I would be want the MOT done before any inspection of the vehicle

Thanks for your information. It is about one hour driving distance from my home. I rely on public transport to go to the dealer. I appointed a trucking company because I am not confident driving in UK and the motorway. I am taking some courses at the moment.

The vehicle is an approved used car from main dealer and I will have an independent inspector to go the check it for me.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - sammy1

Sounds fine Good luck with your purchase

Hi,

Thankyou for all the advices. I received my Suzuki Vitara 10 days ago and drove for 10 days. I have some issues. If there is any Vitara owners here, please give me some advice

1) The model I have is Vitara 2019 Allgrid SZ5 1.4T automatic. I could connect bluetooth and make phone call. However, when I plug in my iPhone to the USB port (I tried 2 iPhones and 4 cables), my car will not recognise CarPlay nor charge it. The spec says it supports Apple CarPlay. Dealer recommended to check at nearby dealer as the car is under Suzuki warranty. The dealer I purchase from is 100 miles away.

2) This morning I tried starting the car without pressing the brake pedal (which I understand is in ACC mode), there were a few warnings (tachymeter: engine symbol in amber, Steering symbol in amber, Add oil symbol in red; Battery symbol in red). When I pressed the pedal and press start (which should start the engine), the warnings went away.

1. Make sure you're using a data cable. A lot are charge only.

2. As long as the lights go out when you start, everything is fine.

thank you for the advice

I am using 2 original iPhone cables, and 2 after market cables, combined with either iPhone 6s or iPhone 12. All combinations will not charge the iPhone. Any clue?

Have you used Carplay before? If not, check in your phone settings that it's enabled. Also checked that you have allowed it to connect while.locked.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - paul 1963

I've got a 71 plate Vitara mild hybrid, if you try to start the car without pressing the clutch you will get a few warnings on the dash, perfectly normal.

As to regard phone connectivity, you have to give the phone 'permission ' to connect, my Samsung and my wife's iPhone both connected without any bother.

Sure you won't get any trouble with the car, I've had a couple now both have never gone wrong..

Thank you for your information regarding the warnings.

I did not get any prompt at iPhone screen nor infotainment system when I plugged in the cables (2 original cables and 2 aftermarket) with my iPhones locked or unlocked.

There was no wireless CarPlay for model 2019. I want to use Apple CarPlay for navigation as the the one come with the car was a bit outdated. Now I mounted my iPhone to dashboard. I might need to pay a visit to Suzuki Dealer to check it later.

I have not used CarPlay before. I checked Apple CarPlay is enabled both lock and unlock. At Apple CarPlay screen, I saw it searched for vehicle but could not find any. There was no inform from the infotainment screen. It was weird that I could not even charge my iPhone.

Ford Focus Active; CHR; Vitara; Civic - Advice on used vs approved car - Bolt

I have not used CarPlay before. I checked Apple CarPlay is enabled both lock and unlock. At Apple CarPlay screen, I saw it searched for vehicle but could not find any. There was no inform from the infotainment screen. It was weird that I could not even charge my iPhone.

Just a word of warning, try not to use aftermarket or non Apple cables as there are a lot of bad cables around, which are ok to start with and after use can short and cause damage to units connected, in certain cases cables not recognised by the I phone won`t charge or allow data transfer

usually depends on Model of phone, the newer the phone the more chance of phone not working with non Apple cable!