What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Diesel price and Haulage firms - malct

Just a note really, Many will remember the days that Haulage contractors used to block the motorways and roads in protest to the high cost of diesel and very often the price dropped and yet we have seen the prices up to £2 a liter and we don't hear anything from the road haulage companies and i wonder why.

We all know that their is a big gap between unleaded and Diesel and if you look at the price of Diesel over in Northern Ireland with the average price down to £1.47 compared with £1.58 in the most parts of England.

Personally , I just feel that we are been exploited by the supermarkets etc

Diesel price and Haulage firms - alan1302

yet we have seen the prices up to £2 a liter and we don't hear anything from the road haulage companies and i wonder why.

We all know that their is a big gap between unleaded and Diesel and if you look at the price of Diesel over in Northern Ireland with the average price down to £1.47 compared with £1.58 in the most parts of England.

Personally , I just feel that we are been exploited by the supermarkets etc

Because they know why the price suddenly went as high as it did I expect?

And diesel and petrol prices have been coming down recently as well. With the recent high inflation how much would you expect a litre to cost?

Diesel price and Haulage firms - RT

Hauliers will have seen the price come down as they'll be paying fuel card rates not supermarket or motorway pump prices.

We aren't being exploited by supermarkets - none of us are forced to buy fuel there - if a local filling station is cheaper than your local supermarket, give them your business.

Edited by RT on 05/04/2023 at 13:53

Diesel price and Haulage firms - gordonbennet

Any haulier intending to operate more than one season has a fuel escalator built into their contracts, as said most hauliers pay by bunkering.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Adampr

Without wishing to cause any excitement, and I may be wrong, presumably Northern Irish prices reflect EU prices, otherwise there would be a big queue over the border every time people wanted to fill up.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Engineer Andy

Hauliers will have seen the price come down as they'll be paying fuel card rates not supermarket or motorway pump prices.

We aren't being exploited by supermarkets - none of us are forced to buy fuel there - if a local filling station is cheaper than your local supermarket, give them your business.

Most often they're not, mainly because most 'franchised' filling stations are with the big fuel companies and thus will expect to charge more for their supposed 'premium' fuels. Many do have more detergents in them than those offered by the supermarkets, but the question is whether the bump in price per litre is accounted for in the better engine performance and longevity / reliability.

Personally speaking, if the difference is only a penny for the standard fuels, then maybe, and perhaps 3-5p a litre for the superfuels. My local Esso franchise is currently a penny a litre more expensive than the next door Tesco filling station, and given Tesco now are reducing the Clubcard points earned for purchases and how they can be spent generally, there's more incentive for me to buy my 95Ron UL at the Esso filling station.

The difference between petrol and diesel, at least standard grades (I don't know what either is currently charging for superfuels as I haven't filled up for a while, I just see the prices of the main two products advertised on the electronic display board) is now 15p / L rather than 21p about a month or so ago. Prices locally have dropped by about 3-4p / L average in that same time, which I think is lower than in other areas.

The only 'true' compettion I've seen is an properly (unbranded) independent filling station one town over (the filling station is actually just outside the town on a country lane) and is charging about 2p a litre less than any local competition, whether that be the supermarkets (next lowest) or the 'franchised' lot.

I obviously do not include Cosco filling stations as they are always quite a bit cheaper than anyone, presumably as they subsidise the cost of their fuel via the shop subscription and prices. They have tended to be about 5% cheaper than the next lowest in the area.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Mr Mc
Competition Markets Authority was warned exactly what would happen if Asda & Morrison’s was taken over by private equity sharks. Outcome as predicted.

In both retailers produce is now a secondary profit centre to high margin fuels (with no German discounter competition).

Costco fuels dramatically cheaper with queues around the block.

Absolutely useless Competition and Markets Authority.
Competition Markets Authority was warned exactly what would happen if Asda & Morrison’s was taken over by private equity sharks. Outcome as predicted. In both retailers produce is now a secondary profit centre to high margin fuels (with no German discounter competition). Costco fuels dramatically cheaper with queues around the block. Absolutely useless Competition and Markets Authority.

I'm pretty sure Asda is 50% owned by two blokes from Bradford.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Mr Mc
Competition Markets Authority was warned exactly what would happen if Asda & Morrison’s was taken over by private equity sharks. Outcome as predicted. In both retailers produce is now a secondary profit centre to high margin fuels (with no German discounter competition). Costco fuels dramatically cheaper with queues around the block. Absolutely useless Competition and Markets Authority.

I'm pretty sure Asda is 50% owned by two blokes from Bradford.

It is. Take a look who is funding them. Levels of debt is horrific & interest rates risen since the deal was done. Messy times ahead !!

Except Asda and Morrisons don't have high profit margins on their fuel - the costs there are around the same as Sainsbury and Tesco...and still usually lower than the main oil brand forecourts. So what makes you think Asda and Morrisons make more money from fuel than they do foods?

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Ex Alfa mail

Without wishing to add fuel to this fire (dad humour), talking with family and friends it appears that supermarkets are pricing their fuel cleverly. In areas where there is strong local supermarket competition, especially Lidl and Aldi, they use good value fuel to gain footfall. In areas that are less competitive, their fuel prices are in line or marginally lower than mainstream fuel stations. From a personal perspective, I am now working out what other tasks and chores I can add to a journey to justify the extra 18 miles (return) that a visit to a cheap fuel supermarket entails. In our case the price differential means it is sometimes worth it (including time) on fuel cost saving alone. I guess supermarkets are not charities and can't be blamed for maximising every penny of profit.

I guess supermarkets are not charities and can't be blamed for maximising every penny of profit.

People often seem to forget this important point.

In my local area, Doncaster, all main supermarkets are in the area as well as Lidl and Aldi and there prices are always the cheapesest other than a local place that only does diesel who is sometimes cheaper than the Tesco opposite.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Warning

Competition Markets Authority was warned exactly what would happen if Asda & Morrison’s was taken over by private equity sharks. Outcome as predicted.

The days of cheap supermarket fuel is gone, as they have to compete with the likes of Lidl and Aldi.

The days of cheap supermarket fuel is gone, as they have to compete with the likes of Lidl and Aldi.

Would they then not have cheaper fuel to encourage you to their shop rather than going to Lidl/Aldi?

Would they then not have cheaper fuel to encourage you to their shop rather than going to Lidl/Aldi?

That would only work if they made more of a profit selling groceries etc than petrol, and given the price in Morrisons at the moment (and how empty my 'local' often is) because their prices are quite a bit higher than their 'direct' competitors, I can't see why anyone would bother.

Most of the time when supermarkets had (say) 10p a litre off fuel vouchers, that only equate to an average saving of about £5 for a Focus sized car. Getting a family's weekly shop there will likely cost you way more than that in comparison to going to Tesco, never mind Aldi or Lidl.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Metropolis.

With fuel duty at 52.9p per litre, and then 20% VAT on the total price INCLUDING the fuel duty, the supermarkets are not making much. The government is though.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Terry W

Asada, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsburys all sell fuel together with franchised fuel company outlets and some independents.

They are all alert to competitive pressures and price their fuel accordingly. Historically (and I suspect it is still the case) the major supermarkets priced fuel as a draw into the supermarket shop on which they made far more profit.

We are free to refuel where we want - buy branded or cheapest. It is not worth driving any distance to save a few pence a litre as the fuel used in so doing negates any saving.

Out of interest - the cost of petrol 10 years ago in 2013 was 135p per litre. The current pump price locally is ~145p per litre - a significant reduction in real terms. In summary - there is little or nothing to whinge about.

It seems clear in my area, SE Staffordshire, that Asda no longer compete on fuel price they're 2p/litre more than the nearby Sainsburys and Morrisons, who themselves are 2p/litre more than local branded filling stations, predominantly Texaco.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - skidpan

It seems clear in my area, SE Staffordshire, that Asda no longer compete on fuel price they're 2p/litre more than the nearby Sainsburys and Morrisons, who themselves are 2p/litre more than local branded filling stations, predominantly Texaco.

Round here Asda have always sold fuel at 0.2p a litre less (the price always ends in a .7) than Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrison. Its still the same this week. Branded stations have always been more expensive with Shell charging about 7p a litre more last week.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Andrew-T

<< Asda have always sold fuel at 0.2p a litre less (the price always ends in a .7) than Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrisons >>

Yes, well. If one stops to think about buying fuel, the attraction of saving 0.2p a litre looks pretty silly. It amounts to about 10p per fill-up, at the moment about one fifteenth of a litre, which is not enough to take any car an extra mile. So next time you think about going off-route to buy cheaper fuel, ask whether you will actually save any money overall ?

Diesel price and Haulage firms - sammy1

If you run an EV the ""fuel" is delivered to your door if you have a home charger. During the recent period of high diesel prices I have not heard the haulage industry moaning that much. Presumably their contracts allow them to pass most of the costs on to their customers and so inflation goes up and does not come down or not that quickly as we are all finding out.

Asada, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsburys all sell fuel together with franchised fuel company outlets and some independents.

They are all alert to competitive pressures and price their fuel accordingly. Historically (and I suspect it is still the case) the major supermarkets priced fuel as a draw into the supermarket shop on which they made far more profit.

We are free to refuel where we want - buy branded or cheapest. It is not worth driving any distance to save a few pence a litre as the fuel used in so doing negates any saving.

The problem (since the supermarkets enetered the market in the mid 90s) has been that, IMHO, the supermarkets, as you say, used filling stations as 'loss leaders' to attract customers to the store more generally, but what you didn't say is that I think they also used such 'lower' prices to drive out local competition, meaning they then are free to put prices back up after all the local independents have gone.

Whilst my area has some 'branded filling stations, all bar one are well out of my town and on the dual carriageway and trunk roads, and all-bar one of those are high-priced outlets dependent on the wallies who don't in any way plan journeys and refuelling and have to buy fuel mid-journey, e.g. on the extortionate motorway service stops.

The only in-town filling station left (the other one I knew of closed in 2007 - there may have been more in the past before I moved to the town a year before) barely hangs on as it is right next to Tesco and, apart from a period of 3-6 months in the run up to last Christmas, has never been able to out-compete Tesco on price.

Out of interest - the cost of petrol 10 years ago in 2013 was 135p per litre. The current pump price locally is ~145p per litre - a significant reduction in real terms. In summary - there is little or nothing to whinge about.

To be fair, the cost of petrol just prior to the Pandemic was about 120p a litre, so 145p is still an increase of 20%. Even so, there is a lot to complain about, especially when wholesale prices for fuel and power have dropped dramatically over the last 3-6 months, and yet the cost of goods and services, including transportation, are still significantly on the rise. And ICE fuels have only come down relatively slowly. Electricity and gas have not, and in fact are still rising.

You may not be seriously affected by inflation, but many people, myself included, have been, and it has not been an easy time, especially when real world inflation far outstrips (i'd say between 3 and 5x) the 'official' rate, which includes many 'nice to have' items that many aren't buying at the moment.

The number of forecourts has reduced over the years - in 2000 there were 13100 now reduced to 8400 - I am sure in part due to the actions of supermarkets but also improved typical mpg.

Independents and franchises lost out because they had a lower volume of fuel sales, and no associated offering (eg: food). This is market forces at work - those who provide the best price/service/package win.

Personally - I see these changes as positive - I get better services and prices generally.

Inflation is calculated on a basket of goods representing typical/average expenditure patterns. As an average it applies to few of us. Just as the average height of a male in the UK is 5' 10" but most are below or above.

Unsurprisingly there is a a big difference in expenditure patterns between (say) the retired (mortgage paid off, no direct dependants etc) and younger couple (mortgage, kids etc ) .

Personally I have noticed very high food price inflation (30%??) but lower petrol prices over the last year down 20p a litre over the last year. Don't have a mortgage but I suspect this would be a problem with increasing interest rate. Leisure costs significantly increased.

I am sure in part due to the actions of supermarkets but also improved typical mpg.

Why do you suggest that 'typical mpg' has improved ? Are there stats, and by how much ?

I am sure in part due to the actions of supermarkets but also improved typical mpg.

Why do you suggest that 'typical mpg' has improved ? Are there stats, and by how much ?

Here's one article. I have no idea as to its accuracy.

www.statista.com/statistics/780748/new-car-fuel-co.../

2000 to 2020 average fuel usage for UK new cars per 100km has decreased as follows:

Diesel - 6.3 down to 5

Petrol - 8.0 down to 5.4

Great Britain: new car fuel consumption 2020 | Statista

2000 to 2020 average fuel usage for UK new cars per 100km has decreased as follows:

Diesel - 6.3 down to 5 . . . . Petrol - 8.0 down to 5.4

Is that a comparison of manufacturer's published figures, or a real-world analysis ? I think those would be rather different, and I'm not sure how my second suggestion might be accurately arrived at.

One possibility is that drivers are less able to maintain high speeds because of increased congestion or managed speed limits ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/04/2023 at 09:34

Diesel - 6.3 down to 5 . . . . Petrol - 8.0 down to 5.4

Is that a comparison of manufacturer's published figures, or a real-world analysis ? I think those would be rather different, and I'm not sure how my second suggestion might be accurately arrived at.

One possibility is that drivers are less able to maintain high speeds because of increased congestion or managed speed limits ?

I imagine it's the official WLTP figures.

<< I imagine it's the official WLTP figures.

In which case we are not comparing like with like. And 8 down to 5.4 ? Pull the other two !

Out of interest just looked up the figures for a fairly basic spec Ford Focus - petrol.

2002 1.6 had a combined consumption of 40 mpg and 99bhp

2022 1.0 has a combined consumption of 52mpg and 123bhp

A reflection of technical progress - heavier, more kit, faster, more torque and less fuel.

I accept real life figures may be different to WLTP but this is a broadly consistent comparison.

Can't be bothered to check others but it is evident that low capacity high output engines are now commonplace. Ecoboost was launched in 2012.

A reflection of technical progress - heavier, more kit, faster, more torque and less fuel. I accept real life figures may be different to WLTP but this is a broadly consistent comparison.

But was WLTP being used in 2002 ? If not, straight comparisons are spurious.

WLTP was agreed and used from September 2018 for all new cars.

The New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) was implemented in 1997 and defined the tests required to measure mpg.

The Focus 1.0L Ecoboost from 2017 which has the same performance as the later model has a combined consumption of 59mpg vs 53 mpg for the later model.

This means that a comparison of the probably optimistic 2002 mpg with later \WLTP mpg understates the economy improvements over the period.

Edited by Terry W on 08/04/2023 at 23:27

This means that a comparison of the probably optimistic 2002 mpg with later \WLTP mpg understates the economy improvements over the period.

I'm afraid my natural scepticism makes me doubt that improvements in consumption of the order of 40% or more have been made in engine tech during the last 20 years. I would like to hear from those on here who have kept their own figures and driven the same kind of cars in the same way over that time. We all know how makers contribute to the official figures :-)

I'm afraid my natural scepticism makes me doubt that improvements in consumption of the order of 40% or more have been made in engine tech during the last 20 years. I would like to hear from those on here who have kept their own figures and driven the same kind of cars in the same way over that time. We all know how makers contribute to the official figures :-)

It may be a combination of economy improvement and changing customer choice, ie buying fewer new cars with relatively low mpg would reduce the average without any technical improvement.

Another way to look at technological progress:

Search Autotrader for 1.0L cars with more than 100bhp.

In 2023 it is a fairly commonplace spec - there are 15000 in total

In 2006 there are 2 (yes two) - and none before then.

Many on this forum will be of an age where a family size hatch with adequate performance usually cam with ~ 2L engine - Vectra, Mondeo etc. 1.2L is now the norm with similar overall performance and generally greater torque.

I appreciate your scepticism, but would need some convincing with evidence that the comment re fuel consumption was misplaced.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - focussed
"2002 1.6 Ford Focus had a combined consumption of 40 mpg and 99 hp"

I had several 1.6 petrol Focus as lease cars from 2002 to 2004 and there was no chance they would get anywhere near 40 mpg.

On a good warm day driven very gently they might do 30 or 31 mpg.

Diesel - 6.3 down to 5

Petrol - 8.0 down to 5.4

Great Britain: new car fuel consumption 2020 | Statista

Perhaps, but there are about 9M 'official' extra people resident in the UK now compared to then (an increase of 16%+). People also buy high-value delivered goods like TVs, computer/phone products etc at far shorter intervals than back then, which probably means far more vans and HGVs on the roads.

Bear in mind that back around 2000, the price of petrol in 2000 was about 77p/L, diesel probably quite comparable (probably around 80p my guess - I didn't find any figures for diesel during a very swift search, but saw a trend graph starting in 2004), and I suspect that the efficiency cost from well to pump has likely dropped a good deal during that time like a lot of manufacturing had done prior to 2020.

According to the Office of National Statistics, inflation average 3.4% since 2000 - overall an increase of 115%. This would make the real terms value of 77p per litre 165p today. In real terms prices of fuel have fallen slightly.

Not really sure what high value delivered goods have to do with the price of fuel, nor what efficiency cost is.

According to the Office of National Statistics, inflation average 3.4% since 2000 - overall an increase of 115%. This would make the real terms value of 77p per litre 165p today. In real terms prices of fuel have fallen slightly.

Not really sure what high value delivered goods have to do with the price of fuel, nor what efficiency cost is.

I was talking about the extra amount of fuel used to offset the improvement in mpg. The 'headline' inflation figures (whether RPI or CPI) cannot be trusted for individual items as it is made up of an artificial 'basket' of goods and services, which does not reflect the upward and downward pressures on any one item, including where improvements in technology and processes significantly reduce the cost of products and services.

IMHO, neither reflects well on 'real world' inflation for most people, in my view, and especially at the moment and/or in either very good or very hard economic times. Any 'adjustments' in the 'basket' are often out of date and do not reflect what the ordinary person experiences.

In the case of oil-based fuels, supply and demand makes up a big chunk of any inflationary changes, but the price we pay is also affected by the actual cost of finding new fields, drilling, refining and transportation costs, and then taxes, which vary quite widely add to that as well.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Crickleymal

The number of forecourts has reduced over the years - in 2000 there were 13100 now reduced to 8400 - I am sure in part due to the actions of supermarkets but also improved typical mpg.

Independents and franchises lost out because they had a lower volume of fuel sales, and no associated offering (eg: food). This is market forces at work - those who provide the best price/service/package win..

I know if one independent who lost out. During the last fuel crisis back in the 90s was it? Our local independent put his prices up and up. The franchise down the road kept their prices the same. Guess who went out of business after the crisis was over?

Edited by Crickleymal on 08/04/2023 at 22:31

Independents and franchises lost out because they had a lower volume of fuel sales, and no associated offering (eg: food). This is market forces at work - those who provide the best price/service/package win..

I know if one independent who lost out. During the last fuel crisis back in the 90s was it? Our local independent put his prices up and up. The franchise down the road kept their prices the same. Guess who went out of business after the crisis was over?

Indeed - the supermarkets could - and by and large still can - afford to take a relatively short term 'hit' by subsidising fuel prices at their filling stations in order to drive local indpendents out of business.

After all, that's exactly what they've done with indpendent grocers, butches and to a lesser extent, bakers and win merchants / off licences. And pubs I suppose, who themselves were seriously affected by offies. Sure, some of it is economies of scale, but a lot isn't.

I've noticed that many 'branded' grocery items have gone up in price at the (main) supermarkets (Aldi and Lidl sell very few) far more than the 'own brand' equivalents (which have gone up quite a bit themselves), especially those that the shop knows are long-established favourites that are difficult to supplant with their version.

They now, IMHO, pocket the far bigger difference to subsidise their own stuff (direct competitors or other items, such as 'staple' foods and the rest goes as pure profit. I'd put good money on some of the big supermarkets (aside from Morrisons) making huge profits for 2022 and 2023.

I can't say the same about indie fuel outlets, at least those 'in town' ones directly competing with the supermarkets, not those selling at extortionate prices on trunk roads (IMHO mostly BP franchises). Not helped, in my view, by a certain fuel comparison service that (at least in my area) regularly 'misreads' the only competition to the local supermarket with its own camera van/car and hasn't fixed the 'error' despite being reported many times.

This independent was price gouging though. He was competing with an Esso petrol station, when I say competing he had about 10% of their sales, but was also operating as a convenience store. He lost all the good will he ever had and closed about 4 months later.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Brit_in_Germany

It could have been the independent being squeezed by the suppliers, buying on the spot market, with the big name forecourts having long term supply contracts.

Just back from a walk earlier and I found that both my local filling stations - an Esso frnahcise and the next door Tesco - have both slashed their diesel prices so that the differential is getting nearer half what it was before, and far beow the 21p differential just a few months ago:

Tesco

Was (2 days ago): UL95 - £1.469 / Ltr D - £1.539 / Ltr

Now: UL95 - £1.459 / Ltr D - £1.499 / Ltr

Esso

Was (2 days ago): UL95 - £1.469 / Ltr D - £1.569 / Ltr

Now: UL95 - £1.469 / Ltr D - £1.539 / Ltr

Odd how the petrol price hasn't fallen much over the last month (only 3p / Ltr), despite the £ rising about 2-3% in value against the $ and the price of oil (in $) dropping by about 10%.

Especially as the spot price for natural gas (and thus hopefully translating into lower electricity generating costs to some degree for the commercial market) has fallen by nearly 60% over the same period (and has been falling (on average) for 8 months since the peak in Sept 2022.

How quickly consumer prices react to changes in wholesale markets depends on 3 factors:

• how quickly the supplier (supermarket, forecourt etc) choose to pass on savings - I suspect many are rather quicker to pass on increases than reductions
  • the contractual basis upon which suppliers purchase their fuel - I suspect most forward purchase, possibly by several months. This gives them stability of supply cost, but means they cannot pass on market prices immediately
  • end of the winter season when heating oil demand falls releasing refinery capacity for closely related diesel. More supply normally means lower prices.

If you want to blame forecourt fuel price changes entirely on a conspiracy by the fuel providers to rip off motorists, that is a judgement.

Not one to which I subscribe - price fixing in the UK is illegal. What tends to happen in the forecourt industry is that companies will look at prices charged on other local forecourts and modify pricing accordingly. Doing otherwise risks losing sales.

What tends to happen in the forecourt industry is that companies will look at prices charged on other local forecourts and modify pricing accordingly. Doing otherwise risks losing sales.

I remember playing a business game while with my erstwhile employer - must have been some time around 1980 - following exactly this scenario, Can't recall how much difference it made to my career a the time, not much I suppose ....

How quickly consumer prices react to changes in wholesale markets depends on 3 factors:

• how quickly the supplier (supermarket, forecourt etc) choose to pass on savings - I suspect many are rather quicker to pass on increases than reductions
  • the contractual basis upon which suppliers purchase their fuel - I suspect most forward purchase, possibly by several months. This gives them stability of supply cost, but means they cannot pass on market prices immediately
  • end of the winter season when heating oil demand falls releasing refinery capacity for closely related diesel. More supply normally means lower prices.

If you want to blame forecourt fuel price changes entirely on a conspiracy by the fuel providers to rip off motorists, that is a judgement.

Not one to which I subscribe - price fixing in the UK is illegal. What tends to happen in the forecourt industry is that companies will look at prices charged on other local forecourts and modify pricing accordingly. Doing otherwise risks losing sales.

Price fixing may be illegal, but taking longer to pass on reductions in the wholesale price 'on occasion' is far harder to spot, especially when not all players do it at any one time. Besides, there has always been an uneasy realtionship between the regulators in a number of industries (and not just in the UK - across the world) and the bigger corporations and their staff.

Especially as many of those organisations are themselves 'arms length' quangos with little to no direct oversight by elected politicians. Unfortunately they aren't any better when that is the case (i.e. in house in a country;s civil service), because politicians regularly use the same 'gravy train' to indulge in back-scratching.

If quangos actually engaged in proper investigations and published reports that showed widespread collusion, then I suspect those corporations involved would have a lot of dirt on the 'investigators' and their so-called 'political masters'. There are quite a few industries where it is common knowledge on a worldwide basis that indulge in such behaviour.

In my view, 'local competition' is often given for price discrepancies, and yet the supermarkets don't do that with their groceries - they compete nationally, even before internet shopping was available.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - _

In my view, 'local competition' is often given for price discrepancies, and yet the supermarkets don't do that with their groceries - they compete nationally.

They do price locally for groceries. My sister shops at Asda Queensferry and Broughton Tesco (opposite to Airbus) Told me on the phone about some items we both like at £4 there. went here and £5, Queensferry Shotton and area is a much lower income area than Colchester.

Fuel prices in Gloucester vary between branches of the same company. Sainsbury's for instance is cheaper at their docks branch than in their branch only a couple of miles away in the suburb of Barnwood. Both are cheaper than the Cheltenham branch only 5 miles away.

Interestingly I've just come back from Lincolnshire and independent garages near Coningsby not only were 10p a litre cheaper than in Gloucestershire but the diesel was cheaper than the petrol.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Bromptonaut

Fuel prices in Gloucester vary between branches of the same company. Sainsbury's for instance is cheaper at their docks branch than in their branch only a couple of miles away in the suburb of Barnwood. Both are cheaper than the Cheltenham branch only 5 miles away.

Sainsbury's have been doing that for years. The prices of both petrol and diesel are 3-4pence a litre less at Leicester (Fosse Park) than Northampton (Sixfields). Obviously not worth a special journey but I used to play fuel light bingo when visiting my Mother in Narborough.

Also worth coming off a J21 to refuel on a long journey north.

<< If quangos actually engaged in proper investigations and published reports that showed widespread collusion, then I suspect those corporations involved would have a lot of dirt on the 'investigators' and their so-called 'political masters'. >>

Andy, if said quangos actually did that, I wonder if you might complain about government money being squandered ?

Diesel price and Haulage firms - Bromptonaut

I think there's always been a seasonal factor in the relative prices for petrol and diesel in the UK.

Diesel is a very similar fraction to domestic heating oil and tends to become more expensive due to supply/demand during the Northern Hemisphere Winter. Conversely American use of petrol ramps up from the Spring as they get out and about more.

I think we were also pinched badly by Ukraine and sanctions as we imported a significant quantity of refined diesel from Russia.

Diesel price and Haulage firms - nick62

For the first time since diesel cars became mainstream (in guessing early 1990's), our local filling station is selling diesel 1p cheaper than unleaded.

Diesel 1.339/l

Unleaded 1.349/l

Diesel price and Haulage firms - _

For the first time since diesel cars became mainstream (in guessing early 1990's), our local filling station is selling diesel 1p cheaper than unleaded.

Diesel 1.339/l

Unleaded 1.349/l

Where?

Asda colchester petrol 142.7, diesel 145.9

Diesel price and Haulage firms - nick62

'Go' St Mary's, south Liverpool, (less than 1/2 a mile before Liverpool Cricket Club ground heading north-west on the A561).

Its one of the unattended stations that are becoming more common (but are everywhere in Italy). I believe it's owned by 'Lissan Coal' a family owned outfit based in Cookstown, Northern Ireland.

Edited by nick62 on 22/05/2023 at 15:28

Good bit of information.

Drive 250 miles from Colchester to Liverpool, then drive home. If the tank was half full on leaving Colchester it would still be about half full when you get back.

All to save a few pence a litre - which may aggregate to (perhaps) £2.