What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Jamie Slinn

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the market for car insurance and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for finding the best deal? There are so many providers out there and I'm not sure where to start. What factors should I be considering when comparing policies? And are there any particular comparison sites or providers that you would recommend?

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Heidfirst

www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/.../

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Crickleymal

I use GoCompare and last year saved about £300 on what my previous insurer quoted. I'm lazy so I just went with what they suggested, couldn't be bothered to hunt around.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - FP

Every year at renewal time I put my details through Comparethemarket, GoCompare, Confused and a few others if I can be bothered. For example, DirectLine doesn't feature in the comparison sites.

I then look at the details of the cheapest ones.

I came to the conclusion years ago that there is no provider that consistently offers the best deal and that I need to shop around every time.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Cris_on_the_gas

If you have got a missus with a good driving record then stick her on it even if she won't drive the car. Might reduce the premium, if not then don't.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - veloceman
I just done mine. Currently with Aviva, went up from £350 to £550.
Used Compare the Market and best with them was £415 with someone I hadn’t heard of.
Tried Direct Line who came out at £780! I guess that’s why they don’t compare!
Ended with Esure at £338.
I think it’s a lottery and will be different again next time.
Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Engineer Andy

If you have got a missus with a good driving record then stick her on it even if she won't drive the car. Might reduce the premium, if not then don't.

It can do, but very much depends upon the age, insurance claims and traffic offence history of the additional driver in question. I used to add my dad on (genuinely as an 'emergency driver' in case I was taken ill and m and/or the car needed to be driven home), which for a time reduced my premium by about 5%.

I just kept adding him on each year and never paid it much attention (never used it) until hge turned 75 and the premium actually went up, so I now put my sister on the policy instead, and I'm back to where I was before.

Neither party had any claims / traffic offences within the past 5 years throughout. I suspect that may bump the price up quite a bit.

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the market for car insurance and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for finding the best deal? There are so many providers out there and I'm not sure where to start. What factors should I be considering when comparing policies? And are there any particular comparison sites or providers that you would recommend?

Whilst the likes of 'consumer expert' Martin Lewis has long advocated using many of the 'screenscraper' compairson sites other Backroomers have mentioned, I'm personally not so keen to use all of the major ones, particularly as a good number of them don't allow users to opt-out of your details being passed on to third parties for marketing puroses / tracking cookies before starting to use the site, if at all.

For that reason, I now only use Confused.com, as they appear to (like most) cover most of the major insurers (minus a few who don't deal with screenscraper compairson sites at all, like Direct Line) and, at least last time I checked, didn't do that tracking / marketing stuff unless I authorised them to.

In the last few years, they have had an offer of £20 vouchers if you change insurer via them (including other forms of insurance). Still best to only change if BOTH the price is right and the coverage / quality of customer service provided is decent - admitedly the latter can be a tad difficult to find out, especially when reading reviews, as most don't include the claims experience as most users don't claim.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Steveieb

Suggest you take a look at the Which report on car insurance that doesn’t just focus on the bottom line price but the customer service and response when you make a claim.

NFU Mutual seem to do extremely well , have local offices and their payouts on right offs are beyond belief. Downside they are very expensive.

LV come a close second as on recent post suggested . He had the accident a 8 in the morning and by 9 LV had recovered the car and arranged a hire car !

Direct Line come a close third and are improving their service all the time.

One thing these companies have in common is they underwrite their own policies so no need to refer the claim to a third party for a decision.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - edlithgow
I used to use an insurance broker, who was, like, a human being.

That’s a long time ago, though.
Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Falkirk Bairn

Other tips on MSE

Cheap car insurance tricks

Here are our top tips and tricks to find the cheapest cover.

1. Saving from switching is not just for those at renewal – though you may need to factor in cancellation fees

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Terry W

Most people buy insurance on price. This works fine until you need to make a claim when it becomes apparent that you get what you pay for. Worth noting that poor service could easily cost £1-3k if you need to make a claim for vehicle theft or write off valuation.

NFU apparently deliver very high levels of service. I got a quote last year but were more than twice what I was offered elsewhere - this seemed too high a premium for a service I hope never to use.

So currently with LV who generally come out fairly well on service levels. I will happily pay an extra £50pa to have that reassurance and avoid the hassle of changing.

Most people buy insurance on price. This works fine until you need to make a claim when it becomes apparent that you get what you pay for. Worth noting that poor service could easily cost £1-3k if you need to make a claim for vehicle theft or write off valuation.

NFU apparently deliver very high levels of service. I got a quote last year but were more than twice what I was offered elsewhere - this seemed too high a premium for a service I hope never to use.

So currently with LV who generally come out fairly well on service levels. I will happily pay an extra £50pa to have that reassurance and avoid the hassle of changing.

I suppose its the risk-benefit ratio: for those with lower premiums generally, a doubling in price to get NFU may not be as bad as newer drivers and those in high risk areas / jobs or with a poor claims history.

I recall my quotes regularly being in the £300 - £400 range until I was in my late 40s and the range dropped by about £100, but NFU quotes regularly came in at £600+. Given I've only claimed once in 25 years of driving, going with NFU was, to me at least, not worth the extra. LV might be if the difference was only £50 rather than £300+.

My dad (nearly 80) thought so and changed from Axa a few years ago, the latter being his old 'staff' policy, but then he pays peanuts even now for his premium, probably around £100.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Warning

It should not be able price. Read the policy document and their FSA complaint details.

Defacto is a standard set up by the industry, but set by the insurers decide what the standards. In my experience, it has holes like swiss cheese.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Domynoako

Shopping for car insurance can be overwhelming, but there are a few things to remember when comparing policies. First, consider your budget and the level of coverage you need.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Crickleymal

Shopping for car insurance can be overwhelming, but there are a few things to remember when comparing policies. First, consider your budget and the level of coverage you need.

At the risk of being rude, that's stating the obvious.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Xileno

Yes indeed. Maybe something obvious to follow, we will keep our eyes on it.

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Steveieb

Tried to get a quote from DL this morning but the site was down an also the chat facility.

Straight back to that company named after a northern town. Answered immediately sorted a renewal figure which suits me and I have the assurance that I will get the same service if I have to contact them after an accident.

Decided to look no further!

Yes indeed. Maybe something obvious to follow, we will keep our eyes on it.

Quite right - there is a 'canned pork products to follow' to the comment referred to

Tips for finding the best car insurance deal? - Jamie Slinn

Thanks everybody some really good information here on Car Insurance.