What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - Sadie100

Hello.

Could someone give their views on approximate costs for the following repairs / diagnostic tests at a garage, to include ballpark fitting costs please?
I'm just trying to get a rough idea at the moment. Any of the areas below you can help with, I'd really appreciate. Thanks.

The car is a 2010 MK III Grand Scenic.

* Very loud cracking doors - Door strap checks? and likely replacements of parts to 4 doors.

* Oil and filter change.

* Replacement 'hands free' key card.

* Fog and / or water test to establish water ingress issues evidenced in two doors, beneath the underfloor passenger storage box (and possibly the dash area)

* Brake pedal cover replacement.

* Investigations to oil leak seen in engine bay.

* Misalignment investigation to one door and repair.

* Rear light cluster replacement.

* New battery.

* Alarm investigations - re random triggering.

* Attention to faded front light lens - may be 'cleanable' or may need replacement.

Edited by Sadie100 on 01/04/2023 at 12:34

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - _

As advised before, go to the Renault owners club forum and click on your model, people there will have more expience to guide you.

www.renaultforums.co.uk/forums/scenic.129/

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - Sadie100

As advised before, go to the Renault owners club forum and click on your model, people there will have more expience to guide you.

www.renaultforums.co.uk/forums/scenic.129/

I didn't speak of these issues previously. I believe I did discuss the major defect MOT fails, which I've not discussed in this post.

I'd hoped I was ok to post here? Do I have to go over to the Renault forum for help?
I'm only looking for some rough pricing on the items / rough garage time charges as a starting point before actually ringing around garages.

Thank you.

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - up north

Garages aren't keen on water ingress tests unless you take it to a dealer who already has an idea of the problem from experience on the particular model.

Stripping interior carpets etc and two mechanics is labour intensive time wise.

Daughters's Seat Mii had a water ingress and garages weren't interested. Thankfully my son is a mechanic so he stripped the whole interior including seats and carpets so we could be sure. Hose outside me inside eventually revealed a tiny pin hole in a seam weld on the arch.

Two whole days we'll never get back, but sorted!

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - elekie&a/c doctor
Battery , rear light cluster and oil change are quotable prices . Everything else is open ended. If it needs 2 headlights, and they are xenon type , they are about £800 each .
Battery , rear light cluster and oil change are quotable prices . Everything else is open ended. If it needs 2 headlights, and they are xenon type , they are about £800 each .

The lights are not xenon type. Only one unit is needed. Thanks.

I can ring around various garages for quotes on some of the items, but thought I'd post for rough ideas as a starting point.

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - elekie&a/c doctor
A lot of these requests are open ended . No garage is going to quote on oil leaks. It could mean engine removal, worst case. Headlight replacement is bumper off . New key card cut and programmed is possibly £150 . Door out of alignment? Has it had any accident damage ?
A lot of these requests are open ended . No garage is going to quote on oil leaks. It could mean engine removal, worst case. Headlight replacement is bumper off . New key card cut and programmed is possibly £150 . Door out of alignment? Has it had any accident damage ?

I don't know of any prior accident damage upon buying the car. Not all damage goes through insurance to be registered I guess.
There is no movement in the door when lifted up or down.
The top part of the door juts out and doesn't sit flush with the car body, and the door midway point slightly catches on the car body when opened or closed.

I've just had three quotes for the hands-free key card (all £210 - £225)

Modern car doors don’t go out of alignment. Something must have happened on that side to cause this problem. Perhaps it’s time to find another vehicle?
Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - Andrew-T

<< The top part of the door juts out and doesn't sit flush with the car body, and the door midway point slightly catches on the car body when opened or closed. >>

That definitely suggests something has distorted the bodyshell or the door. Gaps on modern cars aren't usually noticeably 'wrong'.

<< The top part of the door juts out and doesn't sit flush with the car body, and the door midway point slightly catches on the car body when opened or closed. >>

That definitely suggests something has distorted the bodyshell or the door. Gaps on modern cars aren't usually noticeably 'wrong'.

Perhaps someone has tried to force the door open at some point. It could have been worse than this and then the door has been bent back enough to look reasonably ok.

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - pd

Water ingress will be blocked scuttle drains. Very, very common on these. The under floor storage areas can fill entirely with water.

You need to remove the plastic cover and wiper blades then each side wiper motor. You'll then see a load of water and need to unblock the drain holes. When you do you'll probably have a big whoosh of water and loads will drain out.

It's basically standard on them.

Water ingress will be blocked scuttle drains. Very, very common on these. The under floor storage areas can fill entirely with water.

You need to remove the plastic cover and wiper blades then each side wiper motor. You'll then see a load of water and need to unblock the drain holes. When you do you'll probably have a big whoosh of water and loads will drain out.

It's basically standard on them.

I did read about this, but unfortunately it's not clogged scuttle drains, though they could be causing lighter rain water heard coming into the dash.

There is a persistent heavy sound of rainwater into the drivers door, and separately near the rear passenger door, but I believe the latter may be due to the bent door which is allowing water to run under the passenger underfloor storage box, and also into the mid section of the car.

The underfloor box itself can't be removed easily, but putting anything through the hole on it's edge and down into the car floor comes out soaking wet.

The drivers door water issue has destroyed the door's foot courtesy light. It's a rusted mess.

I've posted elsewhere about all the problems and the car's MOT issues (not mentioned here)
I'm think I have to reject the car back to the dealer. I doubt he's going to cough up for all this stuff and it'll cost me. I guess I needed to see it all in written text, along with replies to get my head clearer on what to do (if that makes sense)

Thank you though.

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - catsdad
Doors are designed to allow water to run through them and flow out of drain holes. These are probably blocked and just need a prod with a cocktai stick.

However if all these are faults in a car you have recently bought you don't need to get prices to reject the car. These are a range of issues, some trivial, some probably not. You should look at rejecting the car. Bear in mind though that it's one thing having the right to reject and another getting a small dealer to take a car back for refund. Many small dealers are reputable but reputable dealers don't sell cars with multiple issues.
Doors are designed to allow water to run through them and flow out of drain holes. These are probably blocked and just need a prod with a cocktai stick. However if all these are faults in a car you have recently bought you don't need to get prices to reject the car. These are a range of issues, some trivial, some probably not. You should look at rejecting the car. Bear in mind though that it's one thing having the right to reject and another getting a small dealer to take a car back for refund. Many small dealers are reputable but reputable dealers don't sell cars with multiple issues.

Thanks. My post isn't needed now though :-(
I've been waiting on an independent engineers report, which has now been emailed to me. It summarises at it's end:

"The vehicle was sold with defects that render the vehicle unfit for purpose, and it should not have passed an MOT in its current state.

The vehicle was not durable or safe when it was sold"

Yes, the dealer may decide to break laws even further by denying me my legal rights. I'm well within the 30 days for rejection, but time will tell.

Renault Grand Scenic MK III 2010 - APPROX repair / diagnostic costs in this list - bathtub tom
Thanks. My post isn't needed now though :-(

I've been waiting on an independent engineers report, which has now been emailed to me. It summarises at it's end:

"The vehicle was sold with defects that render the vehicle unfit for purpose, and it should not have passed an MOT in its current state.

The vehicle was not durable or safe when it was sold"

Yes, the dealer may decide to break laws even further by denying me my legal rights. I'm well within the 30 days for rejection, but time will tell.

Please keep us updated.