What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Steveieb

New government incentives will fine car makers who fail to meet the lower targets following a slowdown in the uptake of EV

Link doesnt work

feel free to repost

Edited by _ORB_ on 31/03/2023 at 09:12

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - _

found this link, but says makers will not be fined

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/electriccars/article-119...y

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Brit_in_Germany

found this link, but says makers will not be fined

That's not what I read:

If companies miss targets, they would be charged £15,000 per non-ZEV car.

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Metropolis.
Eco marxism. The car is supposed to be an expression of personal freedom. We used to ignore people holding up placards shouting the end is nigh, now they appear to be in charge. Let us buy the cars that we WANT with our hard earned money, not what the government thinks we should have.
Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Adampr

I suppose it would be helpful to point out that the story is, of course, complete nonsense. What's actually happened is that the Government has published a consultation about how we would get to their zero emissions target and have posed a number of questions for people to respond to. As usual, the more reactionary press has turned this into what the Government will definitely be doing to get people excited.

And to (hopefully) avoid the usual detour, yes, I appreciate that the more progressive publications do exactly the same thing when it suits their narrative.

www.gov.uk/government/consultations/a-zero-emissio...k

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Terry W

The government already uses taxation and expenditure policies to drive car buying, use and ownership behaviours in the direction they want:

• the level of fuel taxes
  • premium rates for first five years for cars over £40k
  • previously imposed tax depending on CO2 outputs
  • provides subsidies to rail and buses to encourage public transport use
  • low emissions zones
  • etc etc etc

If the govt want to encourage sales of EVs for what they regard as sound environmental reasons, they can simply do what they have always done - no change there!.

A better, more positive, strategy may be to remove the barriers to EV ownership by subsidising charging point installation and regulating pricing, rather than fines for selling to many ICE cars.

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - sammy1

"""better, more positive, strategy may be to remove the barriers to EV ownership by subsidising charging point installation and regulating pricing, rather than fines for selling to many ICE cars.

I do not want my taxes to support the well off into buying EV cars... I feel much the same as the support to be given to the uptake of useless heat pumps which even a boss of one of the manufacturers admitted that they do not work well below 5degrees cent and are very slow to heat up a property even if you double the size of your rads. Heat pumps are a total waste of money if your property is old and poorly insulated. The energy minister is the same guy that gave us smart motorways and how much faith could you have in this bloke.. There is a slow revolt with authorities who are anti car from LTNs to ULEZ As to the fines idea for too many ICE cars it is only the consumer who will pick up the cost somewhere

Carmakers to ration new petrol and diesel cars - Ethan Edwards

Think of the unintended consequences of setting a ratio and fining 15k for each ice car over the ratio.

Manufacturers will be pushed into aggressively pricing EVs as a loss leader just to swing the ratio and avoid fines. So win win for me!

Maybe it is intended..don't care. Its a great time to buy an EV.

Running around all day today in mine, just pootling about nothing over 50. Running errands bit of shopping and stuff. Must have spent oooh maybe up to two quid in electric. You just can't beat that,

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 31/03/2023 at 21:42