Which is the better car out of the two options? - Banana_Muffins
Hi looking to buy my first car in a few months and can’t decide which used hatchback car is better for me.

I can’t decide between the Mercedes Benz a200 (either Sport or AMG) or Honda Civic Vtec Turbo Sport.

I am looking to keep this car for a good 6 to 7 years so want something reliable.

FYI: I am 29 about to be 30 soon, so I’m not a young driver and had my license for 18 months going on two years soon.

In addition, not only am I in a high paying job, I will be installing a Thatcham car alarm and GPS tracker and getting a ghost immobiliser to reduce insurance premiums. Plus I will check if adding my father as a named driver on the insurance will help reduce it some more. So the price for those two used hatchbacks/insurance payments isn’t an issue.

Please let me which one I should go for, out of Benz A200 or Civic Vtec turbo sport to last 6-7 years.
Which is the better car out of the two options? - badbusdriver

Under normal circumstances, I'd say the Civic no question. But there are apparently problems when it comes time to replace the drive belt on the Civic (which would probably crop up during your ownership period), specifically it is a very expensive job!. I know this applies to the 1.0 turbo, but I don't know if it also applies to the 1.5.

I wouldn't go anywhere near an A Class, hugely over rated cars IMO and not actually that reliable.

You have not said your budget, but I have no doubt there are plenty of options I'd take over either.

Which is the better car out of the two options? - Falkirk Bairn

Mercedes A class has Renault engine/gearbox ........... MB badges are genuine.

Civic 1.0 turbo needs a belt change - £1700 according to Honda website

1st car, even at 30 yrs old, check on insurance costs as well as the reviews on quality & reliability.

I would definitely be getting the 1.5L if I was getting the Honda Civic, so would you still say that is more reliable option?
Which is the better car out of the two options? - catsdad

The Civic 1.5 is chain cam I think. However if you Google that engine there are reportedly turbo issues which may or may not be resolved in later cars so you might want to look further into that.

Hi what do you mean by it may be resolved in later cars, as I would be buying either between a 2016-2018 used Honda civic vtec turbo sport from a dealership, so it wouldn’t be brand new. Plus with the 1.5L model I would get are these turbo issues a reoccurring problem that would cause me to fail annual MOTs or occur every few years so it’s going to be expensive?
Which is the better car out of the two options? - sammy1

Whatcar has put the Honda Civic from 2012 to 2022 in its top 10 of unreliable motors worth checking before you decide

The car expert & motorexpert also say it’s a reliable car so it’s mixed reviews tbh. Also it doesn’t say on the whatcar review exactly what the model & engine size is of the Honda civic they are reviewing so it’s vague.

Which is the better car out of the two options? - badbusdriver

If you give us a budget we can give some alternative suggestions.

I’ve been looking for the perfect 5 door hatchback for months and those two are my favourite and best options so it’s out of those two for sure. I’m buying either a used Mercedes Benz a200 or a used Honda Civic Vtec turbo sport. I just want to make sure I pick the right choice to last me a good 6 years.
Which is the better car out of the two options? - Adampr
I’ve been looking for the perfect 5 door hatchback for months and those two are my favourite and best options so it’s out of those two for sure. I’m buying either a used Mercedes Benz a200 or a used Honda Civic Vtec turbo sport. I just want to make sure I pick the right choice to last me a good 6 years.

If you will only consider those two, buy the Civic.

Which is the better car out of the two options? - Adampr
The car expert & motorexpert also say it’s a reliable car so it’s mixed reviews tbh. Also it doesn’t say on the whatcar review exactly what the model & engine size is of the Honda civic they are reviewing so it’s vague.

I'd ignore Whatcar personally.