What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - leef

Hi Backroomers,

I posted a few weeks ago re which SUV 18/19k budget. I currently have a Pug 3008 13 plate. Was going to get the new version, 3/4 years old or Kia sportage or Quashqua or something similar. I was put off the the new Pug 3008 by someone saying don't touch them, timing belt failures etc and the way 2 or belts can crash into each other and snap.

Anyway long story short, Ive got an increased budget to about 23k ish. One of my friensds said do you need an SUV or you just going with the trend! If you don't give the 5 series a go. Hes got an 09 plate 5 series that hes had for years, loves it, swears by it etc. So I drove a friends in work whos got a 520d standard SE 2018 plate, I really liked it! effortless driving, engine was better than i thought being a 4 pot and not a 6 and enough gadgets as standard.

Looked a few reviews and all seems solid for the G30 5 series. So looking at 68/19 plate ones with around 35k and full service history, plenty of M sport and SE ones.

Whats backroomers views on the 5 series? ive only ever owned Ford Modeos etc, not really a badge snob but I was very impressed by the car. Im in my mid 40's now and want a bit of comfort / luxury. Looked at the e class too, but do prefer the Beemer. the 530e is a similar price, yes heaver with the lbattery but plenty of HP to componsate.

Views on 5 series please, pitfalls and good stuff, as always thank you, you're a knowledgable bunch and steered me in the right Direction over the years!

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - pd

Personally, I love a 5 Series. They are a bit spec sensitive and I prefer the SE/Luxury non-sports ones to the harder rising versions as in practice they handle just as well and are more comfortable.

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - sammy1

I would not get too hung up with the later 5 series and your increased budget. The F10/F11 have a lot to offer and are virtually the same car other than the headlights, The best one to go for is the 535i. although a 530 would be fine. Stick to 18 inch wheels and the sport auto with the adaptive suspension. You can drive it in comfort/normal/sport/ sport plus. The engine is only doing 1800revs at 70 effortless and the gearbox is really smooth and not heavy on petrol at around 32 overall. The sport on the gearbox really stiffens up the suspension for the really twisty roads and gives increased throttle response. You are getting an executive car and will not want to go back to anything else. The only negatives are the size for parking and road tax which is £300plus..The basic car is very well equipped and the extras list is endless. I would ignore a diesel. You need to shop careful to get the right car as prices vary considerably

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - badbusdriver

Not been overly keen on any BMW's for some time now (though I could be swayed by an i3). If you feel you must, I'd echo comments above re avoiding versions on overly stiff suspension (and enormous wheels).

I'd also argue that if you don't want to follow the crowd, buying a BMW of any kind is surely a contradiction given how common they are!.

Can't help thinking of all the new or nearly new cars available (with all or most of their warranty) the new budget would get you into though.

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - bazza

I have a little experience of a 520d saloon, with nearly 100k on it, supremely comfortable, refined, quiet, all those things. The thing that impressed me most was it's motorway cruising ability, even at high speeds, solid, quiet, 100 felt like 70. Also on a twisty b road, for such a large heavy car it was taut and nimble, hiding it's bulk very well. Parking in the supermarket was a nightmare, almost needs 2 spaces lengthwise and a real handful in tight spaces. Lovely car though. I can't comment on running costs except this one did about 40 mpg on a run.

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - Adampr

I've never liked manual BMWs, but the autos are fine. I find the manuals have to be worked very hard and don't have much grunt. I think it's supposed to be 'sporty' but I'm not a big fan of constantly changing gear.

I think you have to remember that the premium you pay on them is for badge and the interior, rather than them actually being 'better' or more reliable than other cars. If you accept that, then all good.

Older ones seem to get very tatty but you should be able to find a good one in your price range.

I don't think I'd bother with the 530e. I don't think they have much range and I've been told that the 330e is very sluggish in electric mode and assume the 530e will be the same.

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - pd

I'm driving a F11 520d at the moment and have been for about a year. It regularly tops 50mpg on a run one up.

I can't say it feels very big. It's no larger than a Mondeo and has sensors all round anyway. The turning circle is also good.

I've got my eyes open for a decent 530d. The 520 does everything you'd want but the 3.0 straight 6 feels a lot more special.

Edited by pd on 17/03/2023 at 08:23

BMW 5 Series 2019 530e or 520d - Changed my mind... I think. - leef

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll be sure to take the M sport and SE suspension into consideration, Ive heard the SE is much smoother. Also Id get noting bigger than 18/19in alloys. Like I say, Ive owned, mk3 and mk4 mondeos so size of 5 series isn't really an issue for me, Im used to larger cars. Ive never owned a BMW, so although there 'common' probably a step up in quality than the mondeo, although I like the mk5 Vignale version!. I'll be on the look out for lower milage 19 plate 530i in a couple of months, the market seems pretty expensive for used cars at the minute, not sure if I should wait a few months and see if they start falling again or bite the bullet and nail one now.