What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - _

A while back I posted about a taxi driver mate who was thinking of buying a dacia for use as a Taxi.

He did and ona long trip it overheated filled up with water, water passed straight through, taxi for his passenger, recovery for him, and one new engine later....

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - Metropolis.
Always enjoy these follow ups, was it covered under warranty?
Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - focussed

There have been failures of this 0.9 litre unit reported to be down to the seal around the t'stat failing, coolant leaks, results in an overheat, CHG fails, water where it shouldn't be etc, sounds a bit like what happened here.

You have to wonder about the wisdom of buying a car with a 0.9 litre power unit for use as a taxi though.

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - daveyK_UK
Hi, a few points

1. Engine size of a modern turbo petrol engines has little to no relevance for taxi duties, the 0.9 litre found in Renault / Dacia / Smart cars (Nissan?) is a nice drive, economical and has plenty of poke.

2, as an earlier forum user has highlighted, these engines have a common failure which the trade is fully aware of. Failures are reported both within manufacturers warranty and outside. There doesn’t appear to be a certain age or mileage to avoid the issue.

3. I am told Renault have upgraded the engine to prevent the issue but I can’t find when this occurred, Does anyone know the build date when the engine upgrade occurred?

4. As usual, outside of warranty Renault / Dacia / Smart / Nissan are not interested if this issue occurs. One Dacia owner did get a 50% goodwill contribution due to having a full main dealer service history and being persistent with Dacia UK.

5, anyone with this engine and approaching the end of manufacturer warranty may want to consider extending the manufacturer warranty by a further 2 years. From memory Dacia offer 2 year extension, not sure on the others.
Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - _

No warranty, past 3 years and No goodwill as used as a taxi.

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - John F

Unless the cabin ventilation was on recirculation, I would have thought the aroma of coolant loss should have been noticed and investigated. I've long thought there would be a profitable market for a liquid with a really unpleasant odour to add to the cooling system to alert people about small but potentially catastrophic leaks. (Seed capital to my BVI account, pleae..-;)

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - gordonbennet

Shame an engine is toast for something that should have been seen, ie increasing temperature, and quite likely prevented if the car was inspected and serviced regularly.

I too am one who wouldn't expect a long life from such a small engine, unless it was overmaintained to the nth degree and driven with mechanical sympathy...the latter seemingly a dying art.

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - Steveieb

Has anyone had any experience of a blown engine on an an Audi S5 where the chain driving the V6 petrol engine suddenly snaps without warning destroying the engine ?

Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - Metropolis.
Shame about the lack of warranty.

Sudden loss of coolant doesnt always evidence itself on the temp gauge .
Dacia Logan MCV o.9 tce - Blown engine - daveyK_UK
How much for the new engine?
Supply and install cost?
Did you get refurbished or new?
Any warranty with it?