What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Deleting a DPF - Steveieb

Heard on the local grapevine that a local garage is offering a service to delete the DPF function from diesel cars for around £330.

With genuine replacement DPF s costing around £2000, is this something worth considering?

Deleting a DPF - Adampr

I suppose so, as long as you like failing MOTs.

Deleting a DPF - edlithgow

Far be it from me to do the Law Abiding Citizen jive, but I'd imagine there might be hefty penalties involved, though that does beg the twin questions

(a) IF the MOT aren't allowed to dismantle, can they definitively prove it?

(b) How do the garage (who must have considered this carefully) expect to get away with it

I suppose it could perhaps be done in such a way as to mimic DPF collapse, or they could do nothing and TELL the punter they'd deleted it (though that'd be fraud)

There were cars fitted with exhaust catalysts from the factory before they became mandatory, which could legally be dispensed with (included some Volvos IIRC) so maybe there is a current DPF equivalent.

Deleting a DPF - sammy1

Been here before, you would never be able to sell it legally and they are illegal to drive. So bang goes your insurance

Deleting a DPF - focussed

Been here before, you would never be able to sell it legally and they are illegal to drive. So bang goes your insurance

Can you please provide a reliable reference that confirms that your insurance is invalid when driving a car with an inactive or removed catalytic converter?

Deleting a DPF - sammy1

Can you please provide a reliable reference that confirms that your insurance is invalid when driving a car with an inactive or removed catalytic converter?

There are clauses in all insurance policies regarding changes or modifications to the factory specification that is the basis of all insurance. Yes you can drive anything on UK roads as some do but get found out and you are in serious trouble especially if you have an accident

Deleting a DPF - newguy2015

I do wonder what would happen if I bought a second car that had been modified and I didn’t know about the modification.

If I am not technical and haven’t been told about the modifications then I can’t exactly tell the insurance company. If I then have an accident and they find out, are they going to take my word for it?

There must be a lot of people driving modified cars that simply don’t not they are.

Deleting a DPF - bathtub tom

I do wonder what would happen if I bought a second car that had been modified and I didn’t know about the modification.

I recall we had someone post here who was in that position. Their insurance was quibbling because of a non-standard air filter that was fitted to a car they'd bought IIRC.

I recall we had someone post here who was in that position. Their insurance was quibbling because of a non-standard air filter that was fitted to a car they'd bought IIRC.

I would hope they got a huge amount of well-earned bad publicity frrom that one.

Can you remember the company name?

Deleting a DPF - Metropolis.
Crazy that despite owning the vehicle outright, the government still see fit to regulate what you can do to it, will remaps become illegal too? Slippery slope
Deleting a DPF - Adampr
Crazy that despite owning the vehicle outright, the government still see fit to regulate what you can do to it, will remaps become illegal too? Slippery slope

They would be if they increased emissions. Some probably do.

Deleting a DPF - Sofa Spud

The government doesn't regulate what you can do with your vehicle, you can modify it in any way you like!

What the government does regulate is what kind of vehicle you're allowed to drive on a public highway, and quite right too. Certainly remaps should be regulated and only supplied and fitted by validated experts. You don't want a car that's got a remap with a glitch that stops the engine 3 seconds after using kickdown but only if the thermostatic cooling fan and main beam are on! I've had a car with a faulty ECU (not remapped) and it wasn't a lot of fun.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/02/2023 at 00:30

Deleting a DPF - alan1302

So you don't think there should be limits to what can be done and driven on the roads?

No such slippery slope in Taiwan. Any vehicle modification, of any kind, is absolutely illegal.

Avoids authoritay having to think too much (or at all) which they dont much like,

OTOH they arent ultra keen on enforcement, so there is a bit of wriggle room

Deleting a DPF - Engineer Andy

Heard on the local grapevine that a local garage is offering a service to delete the DPF function from diesel cars for around £330.

With genuine replacement DPF s costing around £2000, is this something worth considering?

How long before fake knock-offs start appearing because they cost 'only' half or a quarter as much? Fake parts were pushed as a big problem a few years back, but I haven't heard much since.

Deleting a DPF - gordonbennet

Presumably they gut the DPF and weld the canister back together, i would have thought an MOT inspector could tell from tapping the thing whether it contained the perishing filter, maybe they put an inner liner inside so it doesn't sound hollow.

Would expect there to be other issues too, during the full throttle part of the test some smoke is more likely without the filter inside.

Not something i'd do, could be all sorts of future implications if a future test station twigged it and called in the DVSA inspectors.

If cars were fitted with the necessary to perform static regens if necessary, as trucks are, this dodgy game probably wouldn't be needed.

Deleting a DPF - pd

The bigger question is why would most people want to?

The reality is the vast majority of DPFs don't cause any problems so the best solution is to leave them alone.

I know of people who had it done and MPG increased significantly
Deleting a DPF - paul 1963
I know of people who had it done and MPG increased significantly

Same here.......

Deleting a DPF - mcb100
Which leaves an interesting environmental question if indeed fuel consumption is improved.
Particulate emissions would be up, because that’s the purpose of the filter, decreasing air quality in the area in which the car operates.
But, if fuel consumption is improved, that should be lower levels of CO2 emitted because of less fuel used per mile/km. Which is less harmful to the planet.
Which takes a (hypothetical) priority?
Deleting a DPF - Crickleymal
Which leaves an interesting environmental question if indeed fuel consumption is improved. Particulate emissions would be up, because that’s the purpose of the filter, decreasing air quality in the area in which the car operates. But, if fuel consumption is improved, that should be lower levels of CO2 emitted because of less fuel used per mile/km. Which is less harmful to the planet. Which takes a (hypothetical) priority?

It's a dilemma I've wondered about too.

Deleting a DPF - Adampr

Is the improved MPG a function of not having any more regents or is that another saving?

It's a sham diesel seems moribund, because I don't think it would be that hard for manufacturers to come up with a better system to deal with soot given time and a reason to do so.

Deleting a DPF - mcb100
‘ Is the improved MPG a function of not having any more regents or is that another saving?’

I’d imagine having a more free flowing exhaust would also play a part, with less back pressure.
Deleting a DPF - Adampr

I should clarify that I meant regenerations of the DPF. George IV is unrelated.

Deleting a DPF - elekie&a/c doctor

Dpf, adblue , def fluid and all the associated emissions systems are flawed technology. They are never going to be the ultimate fix for diesel engine emissions. The current mot test is not able to detect any missing contents of a dpf. Deletion of egr and dpf associated equipment is more common than you might think ,as repairs to these systems are often more costly than the value of the vehicle. A perfectly good 10 year old motor can be a write off because it needs a dpf.

Is the improved MPG a function of not having any more regents or is that another saving?

It's a sham diesel seems moribund, because I don't think it would be that hard for manufacturers to come up with a better system to deal with soot given time and a reason to do so.

Mixed fueling with diesel and gas (I think LPG but it may have been propane/butane) is supposed to give more power and lower emissions. Was popular in Australia for a while.

I dunno how (or if) it coexists with DPF but I would expect it to reduce the requirement for regens and increase their effectiveness

Deleting a DPF - skidpan

A "garage" local to us was offering a variety of services including DPF delete on a large sign outside their premises. Recently new signs were installed and no DPF delete mentioned. I do wonder if there had been issues with their offering a service that in reality renders a car illegal to use on the public roads. Supposed they could still offer the service but not blatantly advertise it.

Deleting a DPF - bathtub tom
Mixed fueling with diesel and gas (I think LPG but it may have been propane/butane) is supposed to give more power and lower emissions. Was popular in Australia for a while.

I recall seeing Marks & Sparks liveried lorries with signage stating they had such systems fitted. Don't know if it lasted. We need a resident, knowledgeable HGV (or should that be LGV?) driver.

Thankfully after a bit of a break our resident knowledgable HGV driver has returned.

I recall seeing Marks & Sparks liveried lorries with signage stating they had such systems fitted. Don't know if it lasted. We need a resident, knowledgeable HGV (or should that be LGV?) driver.

Bit of a puff piece, but they seem pretty convinced.

Not HGV-specific, but then neither is the system.

www.autospeed.com/cms/a_110053/article.html@popula...e

Deleting a DPF - 57Rebel

DVSA issued a special notice to all MOT stations a while back, stating that any found to be offering such services would be struck off.

The latest emission testing machines already have OBD plug in facility to record temp and RPM readings during test, and DVSA are looking into making greater use of this connection, including detection of non standard mapping!

Deleting a DPF - RT

DVSA issued a special notice to all MOT stations a while back, stating that any found to be offering such services would be struck off.

The latest emission testing machines already have OBD plug in facility to record temp and RPM readings during test, and DVSA are looking into making greater use of this connection, including detection of non standard mapping!

"non-standard mapping" will need a complex legal definition - manufacturers issue updates for a number of reasons - as a genuine upgrade, as a correction of a previously wrong map and to mitigate "dieselgate" cheating.

Some owners of certain models ensure that correction updates AREN'T applied as in some cases they reduce driveability.

I don't know what would be visible to an MoT station but my VW Touareg has an OBD warning message that an illegal update has been performed - simply because I used a third-party update for the satnav maps - it doesn't bother me as the car is out of warranty and doesn't appear to worry my VW dealer when they service the car.

"non-standard mapping" will need a complex legal definition - manufacturers issue updates for a number of reasons - as a genuine upgrade, as a correction of a previously wrong map and to mitigate "dieselgate" cheating.

Some owners of certain models ensure that correction updates AREN'T applied as in some cases they reduce driveability.

I don't know what would be visible to an MoT station but my VW Touareg has an OBD warning message that an illegal update has been performed

One might expect that to be a standard feature once the OBD software detects it is plugged in to a VW

Edited by edlithgow on 28/02/2023 at 05:14

Deleting a DPF - Gibbo_Wirral

Can't speak for all cars but "deleting" the PDF from the ECU causes all manner of long term issues on Peugeots - especially if the remap isn't great.

You're better keeping it stock and replacing the DPF with a pattern part from CATS2U.

Gibbo, do PSA cars still use the EOLYS fluid system? i was under the impression compared to other DPF equipped vehicles that PSA gave little trouble even if the running/driving conditions weren't always optimal, certainly our 110Hdi Citroen C2 never gave any trouble...though it was treated to regular oil changes plus fuel filters etc.

Or has euro 6 caused PSA to move onto exhaust after treatment as others?

Deleting a DPF - Gibbo_Wirral

Not sure about the very latest ones but some diesels from a few years ago used both EOLYS and Adblue - talk about double trouble!

But yes, you're right - if the system is well maintained and the vehicle isn't a "town pootler" then the system will run and regen just fine. Only issue long term is that there's a lot of components that go wrong over time (just age related) and just one can stop it working properly - glow plugs, engine fan wiring loom, fuel cap magnets, wiring to additive tank exposed to dirt in rear wheel arch, additive tank or pouch getting punctured to name but a few I've seen

Along the exhaust after treatment lines, has anyone yet had to pay out for a new adblue injection system or the exhaust its plumbed into, one presumes the exhaust is a trick one and adblue injected into the silencer...confess not something i've studied much because i don't intend buying in.

I ask because on trucks some of these silencers are priced eye wateringly, one chap forking out some £8k for a silencer, a bargin indeed because it was supposed to retail well over £11k.