What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tesla - Any - paul 1963

Following on from my rant on Randoms topic about Chinese cars I had the opportunity to have a look under the skin of a Tesla today, with the under bonnet plastic tray removed I was shocked to see that all the inner panels where only painted in a really thin coat of primer.

I know most cars, including my current vitara are not finished to the same standard as the exterior panels in the less visible areas but at least they are the same colour, this thing was so poorly primed that one could still see the discoloration of the spot welds which themselves where very few and far apart, I walked away shaking my head, even the guy working on it ( new shocks and coil springs at 18 months old) said that under the skin it left a lot to be desired.

Tesla - Any - sammy1

There is another thread running on Chinese cars which is probably why this is being ignored . The saying for GIs was over sexed and over here. As to Teslas over priced and over here! Still companies seem to love them. As a private buy could prove to be the biggest depreciator of all time Not so long ago they knocked £10k of the price just like that

Tesla - Any - mcb100
I can’t say it’d worry me, having a panel I’m unlikely ever to see just being in primer. As long as it’s adequately covered to prevent corrosion, by all means save the paint and weight.
We know about the sometimes questionable panel gaps, but I’m happy enough that there are enough clever people at Tesla to know what they’re doing with the basic engineering.
That said, I still wouldn’t buy one if it involved lining the pockets on Melon Husk.
Tesla - Any - paul 1963
I can’t say it’d worry me, having a panel I’m unlikely ever to see just being in primer. As long as it’s adequately covered to prevent corrosion, by all means save the paint and weight. We know about the sometimes questionable panel gaps, but I’m happy enough that there are enough clever people at Tesla to know what they’re doing with the basic engineering. That said, I still wouldn’t buy one if it involved lining the pockets on Melon Husk.

But thats my point MCB, the primer, if you can call it that was so thin you could still see the metal, primer certainly doesn't protect against corrosion.

Tesla - Any - badbusdriver
I can’t say it’d worry me, having a panel I’m unlikely ever to see just being in primer. As long as it’s adequately covered to prevent corrosion, by all means save the paint and weight. We know about the sometimes questionable panel gaps, but I’m happy enough that there are enough clever people at Tesla to know what they’re doing with the basic engineering. That said, I still wouldn’t buy one if it involved lining the pockets on Melon Husk.

But thats my point MCB, the primer, if you can call it that was so thin you could still see the metal, primer certainly doesn't protect against corrosion.

Being galvanised protects against corrosion.

Tesla - Any - Xileno

Aren't quite a few panels aluminium as well? I'm sure I read it somewhere. I suspect when one probes beneath the surface of a lot of cars then cost-cutting will be seen.

Tesla - Any - Adampr

There's a breakdown (no pun intended) of the Model 3 here:

electrek.co/2017/08/22/tesla-model-3-body-alloy-mi.../