New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Random

Who is going to buy a BYD, XPeng, Ora, Lynk & Co, etc? I can see why the Chinese brand MG is starting to gain a foothold. And who is going to lose sales to the Chinese in the process?

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - sammy1

The GOV, police and other organisations are very wary about the possibility of surveillance bugs put into equipment purchased by them and in some instances have switched equipment off. What might be going into cars is any ones guess. I would not by a Chinese car on human rites policy. The UK and for that matter the rest of the World needs to greatly reduce its dependency on manufacturing from the far east

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Lee Power

Chinese cars are getting better & it wont be long ( within the next 10 years at most ) until some long established vehicle manufactures will get a rude awakening with more credible choices for consumers.

Chinese cars used to perform poorly in Euro NCAP safety tests in the past. Two new Chinese cars ( ORA Funky Cat & WEY Coffee 01 ) won best in class awards from Euro NCAP when tested last year.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - corax

The UK and for that matter the rest of the World needs to greatly reduce its dependency on manufacturing from the far east

Most manufacturing from here has gone. People are used to cheap prices for Chinese goods, but someone/something in the chain will be suffering. I'd rather spend more for quality, keep those items and have them repaired when broken but those days have seemingly long disappeared. I have a Morphy Richards food mixer from the 70's which is still working. Granted, it's a single electric motor but it's still impressive.

Saying all that, I am typing this on a Lenovo ThinkPad which are superb machines and can be repaired/uprated easily if needed so not all Chinese products can be tarred with the same brush.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - primus 1

I wonder if the Chinese will supply weapons to Russia, and will the west impose sanctions on Chinese products?

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - paul 1963

I wonder if the Chinese will supply weapons to Russia, and will the west impose sanctions on Chinese products?

A little off topic I think, But that said I personally wouldn't buy a Chinese car, walked round a mg in a supermarket car park the other day, up close the quality was awful, huge panel gaps, paint while obviously heavily clearcoated to make it look glossy was like the skin of a jaffa orange, overall it looked cheap and nasty...

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Andrew-T

<< I have a Morphy Richards food mixer from the 70's which is still working. Granted, it's a single electric motor but it's still impressive.>>

I believe our 3-kW fan heater (Manweb - anyone remember them?) dates from 1968, and apart from a little sewing-machine oil on the spindle it has needed no attention.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Crickleymal

<< I have a Morphy Richards food mixer from the 70's which is still working. Granted, it's a single electric motor but it's still impressive.>>

I believe our 3-kW fan heater (Manweb - anyone remember them?) dates from 1968, and apart from a little sewing-machine oil on the spindle it has needed no attention.

We have a Singer sewing machine dating from 1902 still in perfect working order. I have a Toyota sewing machine from the 70s or 80s still working. My mother's 1960s spin dryer finally gave up the ghost in the noughties and I noticed that the one she got to replace it was pretty much identical.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - madf

We have a Singer sewing machine dating from 1902 still in perfect working order. I have a Toyota sewing machine from the 70s or 80s still working. My mother's 1960s spin dryer finally gave up the ghost in the noughties and I noticed that the one she got to replace it was pretty much identical.

Our MR food mixer was a wedding gift in 1969. Dies about 5 years ago. Bought a perfect used one on ebay £20 to replace it. That still works.

My father's chrome plated manual tyre gauge from the early 1950s? still works perfectly and is still accurate to within 0.5psi.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - John F

<< I have a Morphy Richards food mixer from the 70's which is still working. Granted, it's a single electric motor.......

I believe our 3-kW fan heater (Manweb - anyone remember them?) dates from 1968....

We have a Singer sewing machine dating from 1902 ......

My father's chrome plated manual tyre gauge from the early 1950s? ....

The simpler things are, the longer they will last. I bought a rather distressed long case clock some years ago at an auction which I have dated to around 1705, give or take 10yrs. It is the best mechanical timepiece in the house - a few seconds a week, depending on the weather.

I would not buy a Chinese car on human rites policy.

What human rites do you have in mind - cremation, sanctification, ... ? :-)

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - John F

....I would not by a Chinese car on human rites policy........

Foot binding was banned in 1912. Nor do they practise childhood genital mutilation, a still commonplace and painful primitive rite in 'western' countries and widespread in so-called 'developing' countries.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Metropolis.
The problem is that country has little distinction between private companies and the state. We are not competing on a level playing field and when that country is hostile to us (read their state media like global times, also even more hawkish in mandarin for the domestic audience) we would be fools to buy their goods.
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Xileno

I try to avoid Chinese where there's a choice but it's not easy. We still have a decent choice of cars in Europe (accepting there will be Chinese components) and that's where my money would go.

Imagine being in a pub (or anywhere) and when asked replied you drove a WEY Coffee 01...

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Ethan Edwards

I would. I like the look of the Ora Funky Cat.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Steveieb

My local garage became a Great Wall dealer and I heard that apart from the demonstrator they never made a sale.

The sign is still displayed but it looks like they have ceased importing these pick up s

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - badbusdriver

A long term local dealership has MG (used to be Suzuki up to about 18 months ago) and LEVC, and another separate local outfit has Maxus.

Certainly lots of MG's kicking about the area now, and I also see quite a lot of the current Maxus big vans on the road. Haven't seen any of the electric pickups on the road, but they do have 3 on the premises.

I have seen a long-standing family owned Suzuki dealership sell up, hope this is not a pattern?
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Warning

The problem is that country has little distinction between private companies and the state. We are not competing on a level playing field and when that country is hostile to us

That is true. Has it ever been? The Japanese car industry had Government money put in.

The US have huge venture capitalist supporting their industry. How did Tesla get its money?

The Japanese car industry had Government money put in.

And the British never did ??

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Catfood

Didn't British Governement put money in the last days of Rover ?

The Phoenix Four pocketed money and run away.....

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - madf

Rover was bailed out by the Government in the late 1970s.

Despite what I said i will admit the petrol head in me is still curious to try them, but never buy.

I have seen a long-standing family owned Suzuki dealership sell up, hope this is not a pattern?

Wasn't very impressed myself as we had not that long got our Ignis!. But I guess there is quite a lot of overlap between the Vitara/S-Cross and the smaller MG SUV's, being positioned as more affordable choices. It may well be the case that either MG or Suzuki said you can't have both?. Having said that, the same dealer also has Kia, albeit in a separate building next door (Suzuki and MG shared the same showroom up until Suzuki left).

I know ORB had problems with his MG ZS, but one of my customers (and ex bus driving colleague) has had his now for must be at least 3 years now and he seems very happy with it (came out of a Lexus is).

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Terry W

Most of us are responsible for the reliance of the UK on Chinese manufacturing.

Costs are still much lower than European levels levels, lower labour costs, environmental standards, minimal H&S + government support. TVs, domestic appliances, chip manufacture etc etc - most of us battle with limited income - we simply voted with our wallets!

MG cars now sold in the UK are currently (IMHO) average quality but substantially undercut the competition on price. I have no doubt that quality will continue to improve.

Other Chinese car brands will come to the UK market driven partly by the transition to EV with autonomous vehicles on the horizon. A number of European brands will either be bought by Chinese companies or fail - the car market in a decade may be very different to now.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - expat

A number of European brands will either be bought by Chinese companies or fail - the car market in a decade may be very different to now.

Geely owns a big stake in Mercedes

www.industryweek.com/leadership/companies-executiv...r

Also reported in the Financial Times but that is behind a paywall.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - _

I know ORB had problems with his MG ZS, but one of my customers (and ex bus driving colleague) has had his now for must be at least 3 years now and he seems very happy with it (came out of a Lexus is).

It failed the first MOT on headlights too high.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - London calling

If you are on Facebook there are some interesting posts on the MG4 Owners help group..

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Ethan Edwards

Yes some problems there. MG have introduced some novel features eg no key. You have to realise modern EVs are a very complicated beast. Bound to be some teething problems. I bought an early Mokka-e. Now mines been flawless but the owners forum has some tales of woe I can assure you.

Its what the manufacturer/ dealer does to fix them and make sure the issues don't reoccur that counts imo. I suggest you withhold judgement on the MG4 for a couple of years. Bound to improve the quality and next year a bigger battery with longer range is coming out. That will make it a tempting choice.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - daveyK_UK
The Chinese brands will have to offer excellent warranty’s , that’s one major way they can gain trust

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Terry W

Most new entrants to the UK car market over the last few decades have started with a competitive advantage to exploit - usually price. Tesla a bit of an exception exploiting technology (EV).

Skoda and the Korean brands started with basic, low tech, good value, cheap cars. Their value attracted buyers.

Increased quality and performance followed in subsequent new models. They now match longstanding European manufacturers in quality, performance, reliability and price.

I have no doubt the Chinese will repeat the process.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - FoxyJukebox
Well-my mobile was made in China and it’s brilliant. It’s called an IPhone.
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - alan1302
Well-my mobile was made in China and it’s brilliant. It’s called an IPhone.

Quality manufactured goods can be made anywhere now - China is the most used as it's tends to be the cheapest or nearly cheapest but also because of the ease of getting all the materials/parts and distribution.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - primus 1

I love reading Chinese to English translation when reading instructions on some products, years ago we bought an electric bike that had to be put together by an experienced human…

I love reading Chinese to English translation when reading instructions on some products, years ago we bought an electric bike that had to be put together by an experienced human…

That picture of an airport information board that started appearing on social media a few years ago I think was in China:

"Flight delayed for some reasons"

:-)

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - groaver

"New Chinese brands - Who will buy them?"

When they are the only brands left affordable to the average motorist, they may have little choice.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - daveyjp
I’m in Spain at the moment and there are two Lynk and Co 01 models on charge outside of the hotel. Apparently you can rent them using an app.

Never seen one before, but as they are part of Geely assume they are rebadged Volvos as they look very similar to an EX30.
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - davecooper

Not sure about all the new brands but MG are certainly doing OK, plenty around. Whether I would buy one I don't know, however I hope they will put pressure on other companies to produce EV's at reasonable prices. The new Astra electric is 40 grand for god sake and if you want the top spec, 44 grand. You could buy a nearly new Polestar 2 with double figure mileage for 10 grand less!

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - SLO76
We need them to help force prices downwards. Without the new Chinese brands the ever decreasing competition from European and Japanese brands due to some leaving the market or reducing their offerings and others partnering up to share designs will only see sky high prices cemented in place.

I just wish these unknown (in the UK and Europe) brands would be realistic about their entry point pricing instead of aiming just below mainstream brands. They’re just not cheap enough to counter the generally lower quality and standards of driver enjoyment and thus they suffer horrendous depreciation. Try taking any MG product into a non-MG dealer for a part-ex valuation, you’d never buy another one.
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Adampr

I saw an Ora Funkycat on the M5 this evening. It looked alright, certainly better than the Hyundai Ioniq 6 I saw the other day - that looked liked someone had left it leaning against the radiator.

I would consider a vehicle made in the Republic of China Taiwan but not the Peoples Republic of China. It is generally a bad sign when a country has ‘Peoples’ in the name, ironically.
New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - misar
I would consider a vehicle made in the Republic of China Taiwan but not the Peoples Republic of China. It is generally a bad sign when a country has ‘Peoples’ in the name, ironically.

You must have a hard time buying almost anything given the enormous proportion of goods manufactured in the Peoples Republic of China, including many of the best known and expensive UK brands.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - barney100

Not keen on buying anything Chinese, they are threatening Taiwan and seeking to dominate the worlds economy as well as being a major polluter.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - Oli rag

Vw sales are collapsing in China, and it was their biggest market.

If you search online there is a recent speech from a top volkswagen boss stating that they desperately need to save money, as " the roof is on fire" and this was a final warning.

Apparently VW group has 150 Billion of debt and needs to spend another 200 Billion to update its factories for an ev future.

New Chinese brands - Who will buy them? - alan1302

Not keen on buying anything Chinese, they are threatening Taiwan and seeking to dominate the worlds economy as well as being a major polluter.

They are a major polluter due to the ammount of items they produce for us here in the West though.