What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - focussed

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pnkUx9Fgw&ab_channel...r

I wonder - does Akio Toyoda know something that we don't?

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - mcb100
I couldn’t listen to it all the way through, but was there mention of Toyoda-san stepping down as CEO of Toyota?
Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - alan1302

Did actually say '"o hell with EVs"? Does not sound a very Japanese attitude.

Toyota have been slower to put all their resources into EVs but they don't seem to have any particular issues with them.

Did actually say '"to hell with EVs"? Does not sound a very Japanese attitude.

Toyota have been slower to put all their resources into EVs but they don't seem to have any particular issues with them.

It's Scotty Kilmer's title for the video - so just his personalization of the situation - presumably?

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - alan1302

It's Scotty Kilmer's title for the video - so just his personalization of the situation - presumably?

Yes, I think it will be.

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - gordonbennet

The trouble with politicians apparatchiks and their media broadcast systems in the western world is they assume, because they have apparently committed us to net zero and other assorted methods of national self immolation, that the rest of the world (far more people land and probably resources) want to join them, which i doubt is the case.

Toyota isn't putting all its eggs in the battery powered future market as decreed by here today gone tomorrow (most richer by far leaving office despite modest salaries, odd that) politicians.

Be interesting to see how the future for Toyota compares to other makers who have bought into a battery only future.

Like I said in my original post.

"Maybe they know something we don't"

Meaning, maybe the universal kneejerk reason for producing electric vehicles may prove to be false?

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - Bolt

Meaning, maybe the universal kneejerk reason for producing electric vehicles may prove to be false?

It has been said by other makers that concentrating on EVs may not be the right thing to do, I think Toyota have the right idea as they have done for years imo.

ie don`t put all your eggs in one basket

come to think of it, neither is Elon Musk as he runs several companies not just Tesla

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - Engineer Andy

Yes, I think it will be.

He often puts up IMHO somewhat misleading headline-grabbing video titles (I can't remember the number of times he's said he [Scotty] would retire!) to hook in the audience.

His content is still reasonable, but the above means many (myself included) often give his videos a miss because of the 'boy who cried wolf' does rather drive you away.

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - mcb100
Hot off the press today -

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-electric-vehic...s
Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - movilogo

I think it is lot harder to differentiate among EVs from a consumer's perspective.

ICE cars have their own characteristics which makes it easier for manufacturers to find a niche and cult type buyers.

It is difficult with EVs where cars are like washing machines - as long as it spins and takes from A to B consumer does not care whether it is brand A vs brand B.

Tesla was a differentiator due to its self drive capability - which mostly software thing rather than hardware. In addition, Tesla was also unique in supercharger offering (at least initially). Now Tesla lost its glory because other manufactures have caught up - resulting in price reduction.

Just look at phones. What people only care whether it is Android or Apple. The manufacturers don't really matter. There are some phones with bigger screens or better cameras but overall look & feel entirely dependent on operating system.

Toyota was #1 in hybrids. They were pioneered it (e.g. Toyota Prius was a cult car once). But in EV, Toyota is already late in the game.

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - Engineer Andy

I think it is lot harder to differentiate among EVs from a consumer's perspective.

ICE cars have their own characteristics which makes it easier for manufacturers to find a niche and cult type buyers.

It is difficult with EVs where cars are like washing machines - as long as it spins and takes from A to B consumer does not care whether it is brand A vs brand B.

Tesla was a differentiator due to its self drive capability - which mostly software thing rather than hardware. In addition, Tesla was also unique in supercharger offering (at least initially). Now Tesla lost its glory because other manufactures have caught up - resulting in price reduction.

Just look at phones. What people only care whether it is Android or Apple. The manufacturers don't really matter. There are some phones with bigger screens or better cameras but overall look & feel entirely dependent on operating system.

Toyota was #1 in hybrids. They were pioneered it (e.g. Toyota Prius was a cult car once). But in EV, Toyota is already late in the game.

Going a bit off-topic, but a follow up on you Tesla self-drive comments - there apparently was an during the Superbowl last night (US football final to non fans) that showed (to me at least) a video of how poorly these cars performaed when trying to avoid accidents, especially with (simulated) children, etc.

Worth a watch for those thinking of using such a system or who think it's safe. It didn't look like it was to me.

Toyota any - Toyota's boss quits "to hell with EV's" - Bolt

a video of how poorly these cars performed when trying to avoid accidents, especially with (simulated) children, etc.

It will take a lot more years yet before they are capable of performing anywhere near what most people expect of them, and when you consider the programming involved even AI teaching will take a while as Elon said about his system

by AI teaching I mean the method Tesla are using, a main supercomputer will program systems to self drive safely, given the data it gets from all its cars being driven in real time