What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Solus987

Hi all,

So I got rid of my Renault grand scenic, sold in part exchange towards my 1.5 sport honda civic (19 plate).

This came from a main dealer, 14k miles.

Ive done about 1500 miles in it and my back aches so much. I've never had a problem in another car. I have tried so many positions and it just seems like the seat is not made for my body.

I paid £19600 for the car with a 2 year warranty included and this was only a back .mid November.

Obviously I'm not likely to get that to part exchange against another car, more like £17k I would have thought.

Can anyone advise me what I could replace it with? I thought I was making the sensible choice, main dealer, Japanese car with gold reliability reputation and a solid engine. However, if I'm not comfortable then what's the point?

Can anyone recommend a reliable petrol engined car (4 cylinder only) with a chain rather than a belt that will suit for a family of 4? Boot space would need to match or be higher than the civic (surprisingly large for what it is) but most importantly has a good comfort rating.

Before purchasing the civic, the Mazda CX5 was high on my list, but felt if I could get more power and better fuel economy from the civic without adding the weight of an SUV that would be best.

I will be sad to see it go, as it's a great car but any longer than 30 minutes in it and I'm dying to have a rest.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Adampr

Before getting rid, try reading this guide. I have had the same problem for years and following this sorted it.

www.physiomed.co.uk/uploads/guide/file/21/Physiome...f

Thank you.

I will run through this step by step tomorrow to see if it helps.

It seems to be the lumbar support built in to the seat that is the problem though, can literally feel the mechanism, like bars digging in to my back. No comfort at all. I've got the lumbar support turned all the way off and can still feel it all digging in.

Yes, my Karoq was like that. I can still feel the lumbar support, but I don't get any backache anymore.

To answer the original question; Toyota Corolla, Mazda6, Mazda3, Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30 might all suit

Yes, my Karoq was like that. I can still feel the lumbar support, but I don't get any backache anymore.

To answer the original question; Toyota Corolla, Mazda6, Mazda3, Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30 might all suit

Thank you for that. Just revisited all these and came across a "fastback" derivative of the i30. This has a larger boot than the standard i30 and would mean I pocket some cash to change.

Thank you

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Engineer Andy

Thank you.

I will run through this step by step tomorrow to see if it helps.

It seems to be the lumbar support built in to the seat that is the problem though, can literally feel the mechanism, like bars digging in to my back. No comfort at all. I've got the lumbar support turned all the way off and can still feel it all digging in.

Believe you me, such argonomic guides are a VERY useful tool. When I first bought my old Micra back in 1998 (first car), I had no problems with my back, but then I was driving mostly below 40mph in an urban setting, mainly slow moving heavy traffic.

Not long after I changed jobs and was driving 3x the distance per day on much faster flowing roads, many being bendy country roads, roundabouts, etc. I quickly developed a bad back and found sleeping difficult.

After reviewing a colleague's guide on car seating positions and changing mine - the main difference was that the seat was one notch too far away, meaning I was stretching to reach the pedals and my arms were fully extended whilst steering. Moving the seat forward a bit (it felt fine beforehand) made all the difference. My back problems went away very quickly and never returned (at least as far as driving is concerned).

With modern cars with better all-around seat and steering wheel adjustment, such as height, lumbar support and reach, that makes it even more comfortable.

That being said, occasionally the specific seat design or if the steering wheel/pedla are offset at all or by a meaningful amount can induce similar issues, as well as an overly firm ride (suspension and/or the sidewall height of the tyres), especially if your most frequent driving routes are on poorly surfaced roads or ones with lots of speed humps, particularly ones not well maintained.

Obviously a poorly maintained car can also lead to back issues, but hopefully that should be discounted in this case.

Definitely worth you spending some time getting the seating position as best you can, then give it a while for you to adjust, and then make any small changes and repeat.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Andrew-T

It's funny how these problems often resurface with each new model. I can't comment on any of those mentioned here, but it was often said 30 years ago that seats in the Peugeot 205 fitted almost anyone, and could be driven in for hours without discomfort. It has to be down to the stylists who are required to come up with something 'new' (not necessarily 'better') for each new model - which also suffers similar lack of improvement.

I think they're forever removing padding and making them thinner to save weight and cost, and to increase rear leg room.

Also, I would add Kia Proceed to my previous list!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Falkirk Bairn

The Civic is a recent buy - changing it could cost thousands!

Surely he could look to a car upholsterer for advice on extra padding/less padding etc etc - I realised re-fitting could be £££ but a lot less than replacing the Civic with another car.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - corax

It's funny how these problems often resurface with each new model. I can't comment on any of those mentioned here, but it was often said 30 years ago that seats in the Peugeot 205 fitted almost anyone, and could be driven in for hours without discomfort. It has to be down to the stylists who are required to come up with something 'new' (not necessarily 'better') for each new model - which also suffers similar lack of improvement.

Good orthopedic designs should be remembered and kept. You can't keep changing the shape of a seat when the human body shape remains the same. Runners have this issue with trainers. A good design with just the right fit and amount of cushioning appears, then they change it the following year for marketing purposes and ruin it. Savvy buyers get two or three pairs of a good design before the inevitable happens.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Steveieb

Same thing happened to me with my Audi A2.

I loved the concept and it was in Piedmont Red my favourite colour but those low profile tyres and short wheelbase made the ride intolerable for me.

When I sold it the guy turned up in a Corolla Verso which he asked if I would take in part ex. Tried it and comfort at last.

Supple ride, foam comfy seats and I quickly sorted a deal.

I still love the look of the A 2 , the seating position etc but the ride was just too much !

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Theophilus

It may not be a simple matter of choosing another make / model with a good reputation for seat comfort - but rather the "Sport" factor. As a generalisation you may have a car with excellent reviews on the comfort, but if you buy a "sporty" variant you are likely to find the seats / suspension / tyres all geared to performance rather than comfort. We had a succession of Hondas and all have been very comfortable (and I suffer from a bad back) ... and nothing as comfortable on a long journey as my old Saabs ... but I've always avoided the "Sport" or "Type R" models.

It may be that a seat from another Civic would suit you a lot better.

Edited by Theophilus on 12/02/2023 at 18:16

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - badbusdriver

I'm curious whether the passenger seat causes the same discomfort?.

I ask because I looked through all the owners reviews on Autotrader for this gen Civic out of curiousity. While there were a couple of mentions about how low the seating position, is none of the (25) reviews mention any seat discomfort.

May simply be a duff seat?.

If the seats are set low, I'd put money (not much, mind) on the issue being that it's set too low and needs cranking up.

If the seats are set low, I'd put money (not much, mind) on the issue being that it's set too low and needs cranking up.

Surely that would only potentially cause a problem getting into and (especially) out of the car?.

Surely that would only potentially cause a problem getting into and (especially) out of the car?.

Nope. That's what I always thought, and I tended to have my seat set pretty low down as I am average height and could see fine. In most cases, the 'anti-submarining' design of the seats (front higher than the back) means that your lower back is being squashed up a bit. The higher you crank the seat, the lower your knees go relative to your hips an the less back pain you get. Too far, though, and it gets worse again and is joined by leg pain.

It's one reason why much older cars are more comfortable - the seat were designed for you to sit on rather than protect you.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Halmerend
It’s strange. I’ve had two lots of back surgery and yet I find my son’s 2018 Civic very comfortable. Yet after driving my own Audi Q5 for anything over half an hour and I get pins and needles in my right foot which is related to my back surgery. The Q5 seats are far superior in quality to look at. Most comfortable car I’ve had was my 2007 Qashqai yet the seats were tiny in that.
Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Ethan Edwards

I had comfy seats in my Vitara 1.4t S but the boot won't be large enough, so maybe the SX4 with the same engine.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - gordonbennet

I'm sure many seat problems are caused by the trend to very sloping windscreen designs, i find my daughters Civics bad for this, especially the sporty versions, leading to an almost reclining seating position with your legs stuck straight out in front of you, its like sitting up in bed, not natural, i struggle to even get in and out of her TypeR such is are the limboing contortions involved let alone drive the thing, horrid design. You can't raise the seat because you are already up at roof line.

Compare with vans and trucks/buses (and black cabs), the driver sits upright without a screen or sloping low roof to worry about seat height, legs in a proportional sitting position where they should be, drivers behind the wheel for up to 9 and sometimes10 hours in an up to 15 hour working day and been doing this for decades on end....if this wasn't right there'd be real shortage of commercial drivers (there isn't and never has been) because they would all be off work for months and years at a time with all sorts of joint and back issues.

Try cars with a higher roof line and sitting position, i don't mean the trendy raised versions of what were previously hatchbacks i mean vehicles designed from the start with a higher passenger area, both our Landcruiser and by current standards quite small Forester have high roofs and the screens are unfashionably more upright than is now normal design, you can sit or drive for hours in either without discomfort.

It might be interesting to try whatever taxi drivers are using, currently hybrid Toyotas are the go to choice, they are sitting behind the wheel for hours too, every taxi driver can't be wrong.

It might be interesting to try whatever taxi drivers are using, currently hybrid Toyotas are the go-to choice, they are sitting behind the wheel for hours too, every taxi driver can't be wrong.

They may not be wrong, but some may be uncomfortable .... :-)

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - bazza

I owned a Civic 1.8 until January and recently changed it as it started burning a lot of oil, about 1 litre every 800 miles on average. Too much for my liking, so I decided to sell. I now have a 1.4 petrol Suzuki Vitara instead, and now realise just how low, awkward and uncomfortable the Civic seating position was. The Vitara seat height is about 4 inches or so above the civic, not massive but it makes a huge difference to comfort and visibility. I can see out of a car again and sit more upright, with a normally angled windscreen and decent visibility. I'm finding the car excellent all round, the boot is not huge but plenty big enough and a much more useful shape than the Civic. I'm not missing it!

I owned a Civic 1.8 until January and recently changed it as it started burning a lot of oil, about 1 litre every 800 miles on average. Too much for my liking, so I decided to sell. I now have a 1.4 petrol Suzuki Vitara instead, and now realise just how low, awkward and uncomfortable the Civic seating position was. The Vitara seat height is about 4 inches or so above the civic, not massive but it makes a huge difference to comfort and visibility. I can see out of a car again and sit more upright, with a normally angled windscreen and decent visibility. I'm finding the car excellent all round, the boot is not huge but plenty big enough and a much more useful shape than the Civic. I'm not missing it!

There seemed to be a change about 5-10 years ago when many 'ordinary' (hatch and saloon) cars got lower and then then branched off back much higher for SUV / crossover offshoots.

I test drove a (new) gen-3 Mazda3 back in early 2017 and I found it difficult to get in/out of because it / the seating position was quite a bit lower than my gen-1 (then gen-2 car was very similar to mine) version. The actual seating position (once I got in) was actually excellent in terms of comfort, though it felt rather low for visibility.

On the other hand, trying out the (SUV/Mazda2-based crossover) CX-3, whilst it drove fine and had a better (higher-up) view of the road, I felt that the seating position was way too upright for my liking and meant I was 'bracing myself' as I cornered.

No amount of adjustment seemed to imrpove that, which is partly what put me off the (otherwise very nice) car, especially as I'd previously suffered from back problems from my previous car where the seating position was out a bit.

The Focus and V40 I tried out at the same time were similar to the Mazda3, not surprising given their similar design roots (though even then separate firms). The Leon and Golf felt more like my existing Mazda3.

It would be interesting to see if the trend (fashion?) followed by some makes has continued and spread. I've been a passenger as well as a driver (courtesy cars) in some much newer cars than mine and haven't been impressed with the seat comfort.

As someone else said, the drive for better safety seems to have come at the expense of comfort. I think that the trade-off has been too great, rather like some other newer safety features vs cost.

I took the car in to the dealer today as it was in for a warranty check of the brakes as they have been squealing terribly when approaching traffic lights.

I asked them to check the lumbar support and they didn't want to know.

I can tell the part which hurts me, there's a bit that sticks out right at the bottom of the back rest. When I get it back tomorrow I may try to take the seat material apart and cover the metal bar with some foam.

The seat initially was very low, I've pumped it up as I'm used to a much better view (MPV driver for 7 years). Perhaps I could go even higher. It feels like I have alot of pressure on my tailbone area. I drove my father in law's Passat CC as he's loaned it to me for the day. Again, a low riding car but the difference in the seats is night and day.

Trouble is, your brain switches off to a "little niggle" which would be the duration of a test drive. It's not until you are driving it every day that the "little niggle" becomes painful so I was nonethewiser.

I really hope I can sort this out, even with the likes of cushions or padding as it's really taken away from the enjoyment you get from a new car.

The passenger seat is fine for me, comfortable. However, it doesn't have lumbar support. Hence my theory that the lumbar support is the issue.

Edited by Solus987 on 13/02/2023 at 20:49

Presumably, the lumbar support is adjustable?

Yes, it's electronic.

I have it set all the way off but it still digs in to my back.

Yes, it's electronic. I have it set all the way off but it still digs in to my back.

Electronic ? - say no more. (I suppose you mean electrical), I'm trying to get my head round what electronics might do for a lumbar support. Today's gizmo designers just can't let go of the idea that anything movable in a car has to have a little motor to do it.

Yes, it's electronic. I have it set all the way off but it still digs in to my back.

Electronic ? - say no more. (I suppose you mean electrical), I'm trying to get my head round what electronics might do for a lumbar support. Today's gizmo designers just can't let go of the idea that anything movable in a car has to have a little motor to do it.

Cars must have the maximum number of components that cost £500 each to replace. It's the new economics...

Yes, the lumbar support is electrical but everything else isn't.

Im a fan of the turning wheel for adjustment of seat back angle, but this has a lever which has quite large differences between the notches.

Getting to the point where I just wish I could move the engine to a different car because of this seat.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - corax

Pointless waste of resources.

Yes, it's electronic.

I have it set all the way off but it still digs in to my back.

I would've thought that one of the settings is 'off'. On my 2005 built Mazda3, the lumbar adjustment is via a manually-actuated lever which 'pumps' the lumbar support out and then resets to nothing. Even if your is electronic, it should do roughly the same.

You might also find that the seat itself is raked too far back, digging in at the base of your spine and not giving support further up. If you did change that setting, then you may need to adjust the reach (and to a lesser extent the rake) of the steering wheel to suit. if it has it, the seat height off the floor can help (unfortunately my car doesn't have that feature).

If you hold the steering wheel at the noon position (both hands), your arms should be slightly bent and never straight across all other positions held. Plus your back should be in full contact with the seat equally, as should your bottom and legs. there should also be no 'pinching' at the back of the knee when depressing the pedals fully or any stretching of the legs.

That should be in any ergonomic driving position guide.

The main benefit of manually adjustable ergonomic systems is that they are much more difficult to get 'stuck' in a position as electronically-actuated systems can, especially on older cars.

The downside is that if anyone (e.g. your mechanic or other operative at the dealership who may drive the car during a service/other repair) else drives it, they may well change one or more settings, necessitating you to re-find the settings you had. Not so bad if all that gets changed is the seat position distance from the steering wheel. Much easier for 'programmable' seats and steering columns - when they work properly!

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - bazza

I guess the obvious choice is to strike a deal on a honda CRV, which no doubt would solve the seat position. As above, I'm very happy with my Vitara, after the Civic it's a joy to sit a bit higher and see out again! The S cross is larger and might be big enough for your needs, I would have thought you could swap with little or no price difference. I think your problem is more about the seat angle rather than the seat itself, be as discussed above.

Just an update on this.

I got inside the seat and padded out with some cushion material, unfortunately didn't really make a difference. The "bar" at the bottom still protrudes and digs in to my back.

I have placed a folded towel on the seat and over the bottom of the seat rest where the bar is digging in to my back and I finally have comfort.

It also went back in to the dealer for them to investigate and they stated it was down to my seat position, but it doesn't happen on the passenger side!

Typical dealer, unless it's not disputable will always try to get out of it.

Im on the look out now for something that can cover it that doesn't look so poor as a towel.

It also went back in to the dealer for them to investigate and they stated it was down to my seat position, but it doesn't happen on the passenger side!

I am probably out of date, but in many cars I have sat in, the driver seat has more adjustments than the passenger's.

I am probably out of date, but in many cars I have sat in, the driver seat has more adjustments than the passenger's.

Quite common for lumbar and, to a lesser extent, height adjustment to only be on the drivers seat. In the case of the OP's car, the passengers seat does not have the lumbar adjustment which seems to be the problem on the drivers seat.

Many years ago I foolishly decided to remove the front seats of the BMW 750i I was valeting. They were massively heavy due to electric adjustment of pretty much everything. If memory serves, both driver and passenger seats had exactly the same electric adjustments.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - Theophilus

Im on the look out now for something that can cover it that doesn't look so poor as a towel

I've used a lumbar roll as a lower back support on some chairs, though not needed in my car seats ... www.backcs.co.uk/lumbar-supports/

I haven't ordered from this company, but I see they offer a 2 week trial period so nothing to lose if it doesn't suit.

Edited by Theophilus on 17/02/2023 at 10:56

Just an update on this.

I got inside the seat and padded out with some cushion material, unfortunately didn't really make a difference. The "bar" at the bottom still protrudes and digs in to my back.

I have placed a folded towel on the seat and over the bottom of the seat rest where the bar is digging in to my back and I finally have comfort.

Typical dealer, unless it's not disputable will always try to get out of it.

Im on the look out now for something that can cover it that doesn't look so poor as a towel.

I was using a towel at work (back when I had car-driving position-related back probelsm) when my office chair was old and the 'egonomic' lumbar support (foam) had disintegrated. It prompted my boss to buy me a new chair. You should push the dealership hard (firm but fair) to get this sorted, especially as the passenger seat (as others have said, the drivers seat without lumber support activated) issue sorted to your satisfaction.

IMHO they are just fobbing you off to negate any losses they will incur by fixing it.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 1.5 Sport. Uncomfortable. Ideas? - focussed

Back in the mid eighties I was issued with a Volvo 360 GLT company car. Shortly afterwards I developed some sort of problem with my left leg/knee, never had any injury or trouble with it before. After 30 to 40 minutes it was painful enough that I needed to stop the car, get out and walk around if I could, if not able to do that I just had to put up with the pain.

I tried various adjustments to height, distance, lumbar support etc to no avail.

I resolved it by taking the seat out of the car, dismantled the metal support gubbins underneath the seat cushion and inserted a complete extra piece of upholstery foam to give my left leg more support to the back of my thigh. That cured it.

I have never had a problem before or since.