Do any 2015+ Vauxhall astras have 6 gears? - Lookingforamotor
I’m seriously considering buying one of these as they have car play and seem well priced.

But looking at some on auto trader (petrols) they seem to have 5 gears which surprised me.

My budget is 7500 max 8k.

My guess was that with 5 gears on the motorway that they might be a bit loud?
Do any 2015+ Vauxhall astras have 6 gears? - Chris M

The 1.4 non turbo and 1.0T are 5 speed, the rest have six.

I have the 1.0T and it's fine on the motorway. Engine and wind noise are both low.

Road noise is the most dominant with some brands of tyre worse than others.

Edited by Chris M on 10/02/2023 at 22:14

Do any 2015+ Vauxhall astras have 6 gears? - badbusdriver

We had a 2011 Meriva 1.7CDTI which had 6 gears.

But the engine noise is very unlikely to be an issue on most cars at speed (unless the engine itself is noisy anyway). All the extra gear means is that the engine will be slightly pulling lower revs. And I use the word slightly deliberately because 5th gear on a 5 speed box is not going to be the same as 5th gear on a 6 speed box, the difference won't be that big.

As Chris says, road noise (and wind noise on some cars) will be the biggest issue. That was certainly the case with our Meriva which, if memory serves, was pulling just over 2000 revs at 70mph.

Ah I didn’t know that about gear ratios! Maybe I don’t need to worry about having 6 gears so much now!
Hi Chris thanks that’s good to know, what brands would you recommend?
Do any 2015+ Vauxhall astras have 6 gears? - S40 Man

I have the 1 6 turbo petrol. You are right the Astra was either cheaper when new than the competition or has depreciated faster, but used they are good value. The interior is good (better than my Mrs 14 plate focus).

Driving wise I think it's ok too. Make sure you get Astra K mk 7 as 15 plate you could get an Astra K run out. I don't think these have car play.

Car play works well better than Android auto on this car

How can I tell the difference?!

"you could get an Astra K run out."

That's a typo by S40. He means the Astra J, which is the previous model from around 2010 on.

Tyre wise. A lot of the original Ks came with Bridgestone Turanzas. GM must have got them cheap as very few owners would have replaced them like for like. They last for ages though. At 38k on mine, I still have two of the originals with over 4mm. I've recently moved them from back to front to speed up their departure. The two tyres I've replaced are now Michelins. Better, but not silent.

My son's K had Nexan on the back and brand new ditchfinders on the front when he bought it in 2021. As a combo they were quieter than mine and the ditchfinders lasted well, but they were not good in the wet. Recently replaced with Michelin when one picked up a nail.

Let's be clear, you won't be deafened by whatever is fitted but just some will be quieter than others. Just go for something with a quoted low dB figure.

Regarding depreciation, that's one reason I bought a K. In 2017 I bought mine at 9mths/12,500 miles for £11,500. In SRi spec it was a lot of car for the money with over two years warranty remaining. I believe it topped the list of most appreciating (40%) cars following the lockdown price rises. Underated IMO. Unfashionable badge. Do I care?...

Edited by Chris M on 11/02/2023 at 08:33

That’s awesome info thanks. Can I ask what average mpg you get with the 1.0 please?

Thanks

The car says around 45mpg but it's optimistic by a couple of mpg. I do around 4-5,000 miles per year, mostly local but local for me often includes a few miles on the motorway where I go with the flow. I'm no boy racer, but I don't pootle. I've had high fifties on longer runs where I've kept to 65ish, but I get bored. So much easier to go with the flow!

My son does a lot more miles than me (20k pa), many longer motorway trips and his average is low 50's. Again no racer and sticks to speed limits on motorways.

And both of ours are £20pa RFL which is nice.

Do any 2015+ Vauxhall astras have 6 gears? - skidpan

We have a Fabia 1.0 turbo petrol 110PS in our household and whilst its a great engine I have one small issue with it, the mpg is not a huge amount better than the 2 x VAG 1.4 turbo petrols we have owned (one was 140 PS and the other 150 PS).

Over 3 years 8 months and about 34,000 miles the Leon averaged 45 mpg, over 3 years 8 months and 30,000 the Superb averaged about 46 mpg but over 4 years 10 months and 24,000 miles (Covid affected of course) the Fabia has averaged about 48 mpg. On long trips the 1.4's would just about nudge 55 mpg (at legal speeds and favourable weather) the 1.0 has done just over 60 mpg on the same trips). All have been manual 6 speeds.

Personally I would never want a 1.0 turbo in a car bigger than the Fabia especially if you regularly carry more than 2 people (including driver) and live in a hilly area. The 1.4's are far superior for not much extra cash.