What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
White colour car? - Warning

Just wondering what the pro and cons are owning a white colour car?

I was looking at a car, which is about 10 year old. Intend to own for many years......

White colour car? - elekie&a/c doctor
Some cars look really good in white . It’ll never go out of fashion . It shows all the dirt . Put a flag pole at the front and some decals on the side , and people might think it’s a UN staff car .
White colour car? - SusanAndy1980

I have had a white car 10 years ago and I really hated that every little dirt was visible But on the other side when its clean :D looks cool

White colour car? - FP

The only arguments for white that I can see is that possibly it reflects some heat in the summer and possibly makes the car more visible. And of course at least it's not machine grey, the awful colour that is so fashionable at the moment.

As others have said, it shows every speck of dirt. And don't think that white will be easy to match if you need to do any bodywork touching-up. White is a whole range of colours, not just one.

I had a white car once.

White colour car? - badbusdriver

Just wondering what the pro and cons are owning a white colour car?

What an odd question!.

Pro's: if you like white, its all good.

Con's: if you don't like white, its all bad

White shows up dirt no more than any other light colour. If you are the type of person who likes the car to be clean all the time, it won't be a problem because you will be washing it regular anyway. If you are not that type of person, then it won't be a problem because you won't care.

If you like the car and don't dislike the colour, buy it!

White colour car? - Bromptonaut

Current Fabia Monte Carlo estate is flat gloss white. Both parents had white cars in the past. With possible exception of Dad's I suspect white was what was available on the forecourt when needed. Certainly so with the Fabia which was a distress purchase in late 2019 after my Roomster was written off.

As others say white doesn't look clean for long but then again, that's true of all sorts of colours/finishes. Probably cooler inside when left in the sun, certainly that was the case with a silver Berlingo c/p black Xantia.

Does all I want of it and, subject to other family stuff driving fleet changes I'll be keeping it for a few more years yet.

White colour car? - Halmerend

We’ve got a white car and had a black car before. Black showed every scratch up which I personally don’t think the white one does.

White colour car? - movilogo

I have a white car :)

As others said, it shows all the dirt, especially near door sills and the hatch.

But, after a clean, it looks better than cars of other colours but of similar age. On that note I'd say white feels newer for a longer period compared to other cars.

Owned black car before, yes - it shows all scratches! I don't fancy owning a black car again.

But I'd buy white car again.

White colour car? - Ian_SW

My current car is white, and my wife's is effectively black (actually, it's not black, it's a very very very dark blue). I'm not sure I'd have specifically chosen white, if the full choice had been available had I been buying it brand new, but it was on my list of colours I had no opinion on either way.

Both dirt and minor scratches show up far worse on my wife's car than they do on mine. The white car slowly goes grey as it gets dirty with normal road grime and salt, but you only realise just how dirty it's got when starting to wash the dirt off.

The difference in how hot the car gets when parked in the sun is huge, with the white car much cooler.

The worst car I've had for showing the dirt though was bright red (think postman pat's van) - that car looked awful when it was dirty as the dirt made it look a bit pink as though the paint had faded.

White colour car? - edlithgow

"it was on my list of colours I had no opinion on either way"

Me too, along with nearly all other colours, (Though IIRC white isn't technically a colour)

Here in Taiwan it might deflect a bit of heat, as has already been said above, and is a popular choice, but then so is black, so t dunno if thermal behaviour is part of the Chinese logic.

"The worst car I've had for showing the dirt though was bright red (think postman pat's van) - that car looked awful when it was dirty as the dirt made it look a bit pink as though the paint had faded"

Mine looks that (where it retains any paint) because it has faded, but mostly its been sun-eroded down to the primer. Dirt really loses any power it might have had over one at that stage.

Colours I am not indifferent to are

(a) British Racing Green, but it would have to be on a fairly old British car. I had a Triumph in BRG with red upholstery and I thought it looked pretty good for a banger. Mmm...wooden dash board.

(b) Matt Black. There are some sophisticated renditions around but I quite fancy trying hand painting with Black Bitumen Drain Pipe Paint,

You can't, however, AFAIK, get that in Taiwan.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/02/2023 at 11:40

White colour car? - Metropolis.
With certain models white with black tinted windows creates a nice floating roofline effect.
White colour car? - Andrew-T

Black cars show dirt just as much as white ones, but perhaps a different shade of dirt. Around here the 'trendy' or common colours seem to be solid white, black or red, but maybe we are behind the times.

About 45 years ago a study claimed that the most visible colours for a car were yellow, followed by white. For a year or two makers produced yellow cars - I had a buttercup-yellow Maxi (good car, actually). So I am wondering why some people choose a car with great attention to its NCAP rating, but would override that if it meant considering a yellow one ... :-)

White colour car? - nellyjak

Love white....my Estima is white...and I'd choose white again if I was to change vehicle.

Just think it looks so good when clean and worth the effort to keep it that way.

White colour car? - Bromptonaut

Ideally I'd like a nice bold blue or red but even buying new there are compromises unless its a factory order. Could have had my Xantia in a nice red instead of doom grey but that would have meant messing about with a broken Pug 205 for a few more weeks.

Last three replacements in my fleet needed to be fast because the outgoing vehicle was knackered, dangerous or dented.

White colour car? - skidpan

Just had a tot up of mine and the Mrs' cars.

26 in total

9 White

8 Silver

4 Grey

3 Red

2 Blue

Guess what, we like white. Wifes current Fabia is white with a black roof, mirrors and wheels with dark tint rear windows, looks great.

All red cars were bought because they seemed the best buy at the time and not because we wanted red. Average time owned was just 2 years 4 months. Came to hate them all. Even if a red one came along in the future at a great price we would turn it down.

But in truth Silver is without doubt our favourite colour. All the Silver cars were bought because we wanted them in that colour, never regretted one. My current Superb is Silver.

White colour car? - John F

Just had an easier tot up of mine and Mrs F's cars since 1980 - just 9 in total

2 Gold {Fiesta and Audi 100)

2 Silver (Audis A6 and A8)

2 Blue (Passat GL5 (light) and 2.0GL (dark) estates

2 Green (Focus and TR7)

1 Grey {Peugeot 2008)

But my impractical XK120 sold to part pay for the TR7 (yes.....I know :-( was white. ( I presume the skidpans are either very old, or car dealers...?)

White colour car? - Engineer Andy

I don't mind white (when I was looking for a car back in 2017 there was a Mazda3 2L petrol fastback Sport that I ummed and ahhed over as it was an ex-demo for ~£17k - seems cheap these days!), though I prefer them with a centre stripe, like the ('Ford') blue one on sporty Ford Fiestas. The 'chequered flag' decal tends to look good on sporty cars, particularly smaller ones.

White doesn't look so good on luxury cars, in my view.

TBH the colours I like really depends upon the car, both size, styling and type of car.

White colour car? - gordonbennet

There are no pros and cons, you like what you like.

White hides body imperfections better than any other, on a sunny day a polished white car is almost impossible to assess body condition, large white cars can look a bit naff.

Quite agree about the dreadful road-surface grey so popular currently, brand new cars in that colour look ten years old already, what happens to people in a glass palace showroom?

I presume the skidpans are either very old, or car dealers...?

26 over a total ownership period of 77 years, about 3 years each. Pretty average I would have thought. In the early days they were old and kept less than a year but once things improved financially they have been new(ish) and we have tried to keep them a max of 5 years.

The 2 Caterhams are not included in the above. For the record both have been polished alloy with green plastic bits (says green/silver on the V5). First was owned for 4 years, the current one 30 years this month.

White colour car? - corax
Quite agree about the dreadful road-surface grey so popular currently, brand new cars in that colour look ten years old already, what happens to people in a glass palace showroom?

The coffee is laced with a mind altering drug that renders them open to suggestion. It was introduced a few years ago to make the salesmans job easier. If that doesn't work, there is usually a hypnotists couch in small, soundproofed room in the back of the building.

"You will choose grey, and like it"

There are no pros and cons, you like what you like.

White hides body imperfections better than any other, on a sunny day a polished white car is almost impossible to assess body condition, large white cars can look a bit naff.

Like with furniture, it's always a very good idea to see car colours in natural daylight rather than under artificial light or going solely by what you see in an advert / glossy borchure.

The latest Mazda3 fastback looked amazing in the latter in 'machine grey metallic', not so good on the street in that colour. When I was last looking for a new car back in ealry 2017, white was THE colour - nearly all the cars in my local dealership's showroom were that colour. Now grey is the 'in' colour, though I think that reds are becoming more fashionable again.

I used to love the (almost) British Racing Green of my old Micra - it worked well on that car, but would've looked hideous on my Mazda3. Seems to be best suited to small cars (Minis, old and new, look nice in it) and 'British' (looking) convertables and coupes. Proverbial horses for courses.

White colour car? - badbusdriver

Just had a tot up of mine and the Mrs' cars.

26 in total

9 White

8 Silver

4 Grey

3 Red

2 Blue

Guess what, we like white. Wifes current Fabia is white with a black roof, mirrors and wheels with dark tint rear windows, looks great.

All red cars were bought because they seemed the best buy at the time and not because we wanted red. Average time owned was just 2 years 4 months. Came to hate them all. Even if a red one came along in the future at a great price we would turn it down.

But in truth Silver is without doubt our favourite colour. All the Silver cars were bought because we wanted them in that colour, never regretted one. My current Superb is Silver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just had an easier tot up of mine and Mrs F's cars since 1980 - just 9 in total

2 Gold {Fiesta and Audi 100)

2 Silver (Audis A6 and A8)

2 Blue (Passat GL5 (light) and 2.0GL (dark) estates

2 Green (Focus and TR7)

1 Grey {Peugeot 2008)

But my impractical XK120 sold to part pay for the TR7 (yes.....I know :-( was white.

Between myself from 1989, and my wife from when we met in 1999, we've had the following colours:

Red - 7

Blue - 8

Black - 3

Yellow - 3

White - 3

Grey/silver- 2

Green - 1

Orange - 1

gold - 1

( I presume the skidpans are either very old, or car dealers...?)

I'm 51, my wife is 49, and we are not motor traders either ;-)

White colour car? - Ex Alfa mail

Obviously colour preference is a very personal thing, with a strong influence of current fashions. But in defence of grey (and silver), these achromatic or monochromatic "colours" are excellent for highlighting the body features. This works best with pearlescent or multi-layer metallics. They are particularly good in strong light, whether natural or artificial, and became popular with designers when manufacturing processes were of a quality to consistently produce sharp creases and lines. A renowned designer once explained that the cars he designed should never be in solid colours (and yet rosso remains the most popular) but in a dark grey or, preferably, dark blue and ideally a multi-layer metallic. I confess that conversation, obviously many years ago, changed the way I look at cars. But to each their own...

White colour car? - primus 1

My current car is metallic grey, magnetic, to be precise, I’ve had red, blue, and white cars, but I’m fed up of these colours , when choosing this car I really liked it blue, but in the metal it was too “ in your face” and I think I would quickly tire of it, another colour I liked was a very pale grey, but again it just looked like it was in primer ready for its top coat, I have ordered a new car ( different make) and again we’ve gone for grey, I toyed with silver as we’ve never had one, but, side by side the grey looked better, each to their own of course, and colours are subjective, incidentally, I’m not sure that a white car is any cooler when sat in the sun, bit of an urban myth methinks, after all, there’s lots of glass in a car, so it’s essentially a mobile greenhouse…

White colour car? - Adampr

I've had cars of many colours. One metallic grey and one white at the moment. White definitely suits small cars more than big ones. It always looks a bit cheap because white was normally the no-cost option years ago. However, I like it on our Twingo

White colour car? - Xileno

I've only had greys and blues. As long as the colour isn't too loud (yellow for example) then I'm not really bothered what it is. Not keen on black although if the price and spec was good then I probably would go for it.

White colour car? - paul 1963

I actually like the primer grey a few cars seem to be available in, b***** hate any sort of silver on cars, never looks clean.

I actually like the primer grey a few cars seem to be available in, b***** hate any sort of silver on cars, never looks clean.

Weird. My car's silver and I think it mostly looks clean, hence not needing to wash it very often! :-)

White colour car? - gordonbennet

incidentally, I’m not sure that a white car is any cooler when sat in the sun, bit of an urban myth methinks, after all, there’s lots of glass in a car, so it’s essentially a mobile greenhouse…

My experience of many years shifting cars, in a line of 11 similar if not identical cars sitting in the blazing sun in a compound, the white one will be appreciably cooler than anything else, shiny silver not far behind, black cars by far the worst.

<< ... in a line of 11 similar if not identical cars sitting in the blazing sun in a compound, the white one will be appreciably cooler than anything else, shiny silver not far behind, black cars by far the worst. >>

If it were any different, the laws of physics would not apply. Black absorbs heat best, white or silver reflects heat. A lot can be done with insulation, but black or other dark colours will always win. The same rule applies with radiating heat - you may have noticed that chrome-plated towel rails do little to warm a room.

White colour car? - FP

"The same rule applies with radiating heat - you may have noticed that chrome-plated towel rails do little to warm a room."

Even with my limited understanding of physics I know that a "radiator" - in this case, a towel rail - relies on convection, not radiation, to warm a room. The finish is largely (but maybe not completely?) irrelevant.

The chrome-plated towel rails in this house do pretty well. They get hot, the air circulates and the bathrooms get nice and warm.

The chrome-plated towel rails in this house do pretty well. They get hot, the air circulates and the bathrooms get nice and warm.

Perhaps you should try painting the rails matt black .... :-)

Was that gold one bought with a lotto win, BBD? I've seen someone in a gold Bentley my way (well, Stevenage [no, it wasn't Lewis Hamilton]) a few years ago... :-)

White colour car? - movilogo

On the subject of colours, I feel pedestrians should wear white (or light colours) jackets in the winter so that drivers can spot them easily.

White colour car? - Crickleymal

On the subject of colours, I feel pedestrians should wear white (or light colours) jackets in the winter so that drivers can spot them easily.

Amen to that

White colour car? - Adampr

Amen to that

Some lunatic on the M5 this evening was standing on the hard shoulder, under a bridge, on the driver's side of his car, wearing all dark clothing. I only saw him because he briefly walked in front of a tail light and the red light vanished.

But, not, presumably, in the snow.

Only 40 'mercan, and currently trendy

www.ebay.com/itm/254790071909

Edited by edlithgow on 10/02/2023 at 02:15

But, not, presumably, in the snow.

Only 40 'mercan, and currently trendy

www.ebay.com/itm/254790071909

Where's Wally had the best idea - easily seen in the dark but apparently not in a crowd! :-)

Other than the postman, few people wear red jackets. Presumably because they don't want to end up like Little Red Riding Hood?

( I presume the skidpans are either very old, or car dealers...?)

I'm 51, my wife is 49, and we are not motor traders either ;-)

You still have plenty of time to leverage all that experience into bizniz opportunity. Could be a nice little earner.

(Ah Youth! So wasted on The Young)

Cleaned the white Fabia today, first time since October. Looked OK before, looks mint now.

White colour car? - Sparrow

I have had 2 white cars in many years of motoring. The first was a Hillman Imp, back in the 70s. The second was a Cavalier, the last version before they became Vectras. They lined up with car colour fashion, which somehow manages to oscillate between red and white - the solid colour you get without paying loads extra.

No real strong feelings about white. Better than red to my mind, Yes it shows the dirt, but all cars do that. The plain grey seems to be catching on, but isn't free. Just another way if charging extra for a solid colour.

All personal choice- heavily led by the car manufacturers marketing departments.

Edited by Sparrow on 14/02/2023 at 18:57

White colour car? - Ethan Edwards

Best colour car I've ever had for not showing road dirt was my old Princess. It was a light brown champagne colour ( oyster metallic). But I won't buy a white car , even though the paint is reportedly thicker. Nor a Black car. They show dirt far too much.

White colour car? - up north

I guess the point isn't whether your car is white and shows the dirt, but is it dirty even if it doesn't show as much as white? Salt etc still needs washed off! Family have a white seat mii and bonnet covered in black stone chips that you can see a mile away! Dirty as soon as you drive it!

Silver cars don't show swirls and scratches so much as you need to get very close to see them, even if not everyone's favorite. Easy to touch up chips. Grey good also. Navy, black (and any newer Mazda paintwork) show up any marks.