What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - leef

Hi Backroomers! long time no speak!

I currently have a Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel 2013 plate with 96k on it. I bought it 5 years ago with 30k on it and its been a cracking car! The time is coming up change the car maybe a little later in the year. Budget beteen 14k and 18k, Must be an Automatic for the mrs to drive too. Do I go for the Mk2 3008, its got cracking reviews and plenty of equipement, or Nissan Quashqui (sales record speaks for itself) KIA Sportage? or the Ford KUGA (I was a mondeo man for many years mk3 and 4. I love the look of the Kugas but the mrs likes the 3008. Any help pros and cons aprieciated. Looking for 2017/2018 plate with tops 40k on the clock.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - movilogo

Have you taken test drive in all those cars?

Some cars look good on paper but you may find you dislike them after 10 mins of driving.

In your budget you may get a Sportage diesel still within warranty period.

Hi Movilogo,

Ive driven the new 3008 as a hire car in france and enjoyed, it felt very well made, Not had chance to driv others, dove and Old Nissan mk1 QQ but not the current version.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Adampr

I would give them a try. I had a go in a Sportage and hated it, which was a massive surprise.

I've got a Skoda Karoq now and am very happy with it. Seat Areca is essentially the same but with firmer suspension.

Probably worth adding a Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 to your list.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Ian_SW

The new 3008 is very different to the old one. Whereas the old one was pretty conventional inside, the new one (in fact most current model Peugeots) has their slightly odd cockpit with a really small steering wheel which some people love and others don't get on with at all. You'd certainly want to drive one to decide either way.

I too found the Sportage (and its cousin the Hyundai Tucson) not as good as I expected. Probably more of a case of them having been over-hyped rather than there being anything materially wrong with it - though the base model petrol engine hire car I had was both slow and inefficient.

If you like French cars, it's worth adding the Citroen C5 Aircross to the list of cars to try. It's possibly the most comfortable car I've ever driven, which for many buyers of a medium sized crossover type car is usually fairly high up the priority list.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Lee Power

Do you really want a 3008 with the reputation its gaining over on owners forums?

The 1.2 petrol Purecrap reputation for self disintegrating wet timing belts, appetite for oil & if lightly used coking up of its inlet valves would cross that power train option of the list.

The ad blue tank failures would cross the HDI versions of the list as well.

The 1,5 HDI is gaining a reputation for snapping the short chain between the 2 camshafts as well.

Pearlescent white versions are best avoided as reports now surfacing of paint peeling issues.

The battery protection units are a known failure point as well resulting in multiple intermittent electrical failures / spurious fault codes that some mechanics outside the Peugeot dealer network misdiagnose.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Palcouk

The previous Nissan Q doesnt have the best reviews for reliabilty

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Falkirk Bairn

>>Nissan Q doesnt have the best reviews for reliabilty

Aisin auto gearbox has seen as having a large number of failures.

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - badbusdriver

Any help pros and cons aprieciated

Well, the obvious con is what you are expecting for the amount of money you want to spend.

Looking on Autotrader using your criteria (assuming petrol engine and no insurance write offs), your potential buys are thus,

3008: 5 nationwide

Sportage: 4 nationwide

Seat Ateca: 6 nationwide

Kuga's and Quashqai's are a bit more numerous with 63 and 103 respectively.

As an auto, the only one of the above I'd want is the 3008 as it is the only one I know to have a proper auto box. I'm not sure about the Kuga, but I think it will have the Powershift (DCT), everything else uses a DCT of some description. They can be reliable long term, but really need to be driven with a degree of mechanical sympathy and an understanding of how best to use them for that to be the case. No practical way to find this out on a second hand car though. The one used by Kia/Hyundai is supposedly more reliable, but I'd still avoid if possible.

If you were buying new and getting shot of before (or shortly after) the warranty expires, I wouldn't have too much concerns of reliability and would be focusing mainly on how each car drove (because the drivability of DCT's can also be not that great)

For what its worth, if I was spending my own money, I'd probably spend it on a Toyota C-HR (even a bit older and with a bit more miles). You won't get into a 2.0 hybrid for that money, but the 1.8 hybrid is fine unless you are a fast driver. There is also a non hybrid 1.2 turbo petrol which apparently works surprisingly well. It is a little smaller than your other choices, so you'd need to ensure it has enough space for your needs, and isn't that 'tall' (for an SUV). But I'd have more confidence in its long term reliability prospects than any of your choices (particularly the Qashqai).

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/02/2023 at 18:23

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - JonestHon

Isn't the qashqai had Jetco boxes?

Are Nissan started to fit Aisin boxes?

Ford/Peugeot/Seat/KIA/Nissan - Which SUV....17/18k budget - Engineer Andy

Isn't the qashqai had Jetco boxes?

Are Nissan started to fit Aisin boxes?

Nope - you're right, they use (their own brand), Jatco. Probably just an honest mistake by Falkirk Bairn quoting the other regional make of gearbox.

Thanks all for your input, Ive driven a Sportage at the weekend, a 19 plate, my friend has one and loves it. To be fair Im glad I did, its nowhere near the quality intrior of the new 3008 but was alright to drive. Intrest read about all the 3008 failures! food for thought on that! I decided yesterday to look at the Skoda Kodiq and was very pleasantly suprised, plenty of room, seems really well built, a few clever little gadgets and plenty of equipment as standard, added that to my list now, will also look at the Honda that was mentioned. Cheers