VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - K21000

I get my oil changed around 10k or so miles or 12 months. Last year it was £62 (March). I just got quoted £115 from same place I always use. Tried shopping around and nothing cheaper. How can an oil and filter change have doubled in less than 12 months?

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - badbusdriver

Have you looked at the price of oil itself, or just garage prices to do the job?. I'm asking because if all you are doing is changing the oil, might be worth doing it yourself with an extraction pump?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/02/2023 at 19:15

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Adampr

I get my oil changed around 10k or so miles or 12 months. Last year it was £62 (March). I just got quoted £115 from same place I always use. Tried shopping around and nothing cheaper. How can an oil and filter change have doubled in less than 12 months?

Not sure if you've noticed a year of hyper inflation?

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - sammy1

Sounds pretty reasonable to me, A year ago good quality oil for a golf must have cost at least £62

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Andrew-T

<< Not sure if you've noticed a year of hyper inflation? >>

Hyperinflation ? LOL. I don't suppose any of us has experienced inflation of >100% - THAT is hyperinflation.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Engineer Andy

<< Not sure if you've noticed a year of hyper inflation? >>

Hyperinflation ? LOL. I don't suppose any of us has experienced inflation of >100% - THAT is hyperinflation.

Overall, no, but some items - paritcularly some foods, have doubled in price. Saying that, even with real world high inflation (I think the 10-12% currently given is about 1/2 - 1/3 of what it really is), a near doubling of an oil change is ridiculous. My car's recent service wasn't hugely more expensive than the cost 6 years ago (last time it was done in the cycle).

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - _

Colchester...

Venga 1.4 petrol oil and filter change 5w30 non original filter £75.00 or 7 more original filter.

Suppose golf has different spec oil...

Edited by _ORB_ on 16/07/2023 at 15:03

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Big John

How can an oil and filter change have doubled in less than 12 months?

Was the latest quote just an oil change or did it have any other service inspection work?

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - gordonbennet

The way main dealers especially bill for oil has always had a good mark up for them.

Buy your own by the 20 litre pack and its still very well priced, i grabbed another 4 x 5 litres of Fuchs 5w40 full synth for £80 just before Christmas, probably enough for 4 oil changes on a Golf, though the oil you may need might be more expensive.

Do these easy but sometimes mucky jobs yourself and save a lot of money over a motoring lifetime.

Do these easy but sometimes mucky jobs yourself and save a lot of money over a motoring lifetime.

I used to, GB, and still do for any pre-2000 car. Sadly I have never done it for my present workhorse, the 2008 207SW, because an oil change can only be done with the car in the air, as the sump guard has to come off and a few other bits. I'm just not up for that any longer.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Steveieb

Lidl have a battery powered oil suction extractor Andrew so you will be able to continue servicing the Peugeot.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - gordonbennet

An excellent suggestion Stevieb, can see Andrew's problem there, i don't get this european makers stupid idea of a one piece full engine undertray which has to be removed completely for a routine oil change, penny pinching which must or should have annoyed the maker's engineers enough to get it modified, inevitably clips etc break because the tray is off so regularly it usually ends up a bodged cable tied mess after a few years.

Thankfully on my Japanese cars (can't speak for all) they were designed with access to the sump and if accessed underneath also the filter, the Landcruiser came with OE sump steel sump guard designed to allow access, that rotted badly (not a patch on the solid things on my older Toyotas) and has been replaced with a larger steel sump guard that has a simple two bolt small section that one swings out of the way...the Forester has a full size OE plastic undertray but again Subaru designed in a small section that easily unclips (plastic into plastic so no corrosion issues) for access to sump and oil filter.

My sis called round Boxing day in her Golf, stupid stupid design of undertray dragging on the floor as you see happen with so many VW's on the open road, poor design with steel screws that screw directly into the frame in places...of course the maker didn't use stainless screws and no one had the nous to put some grease on these screws since so they rusted away as did the holes in the frame and over time its been bodged with more cable ties than you could shake a stick at, call me unimpressed with the supposed build quality or rather lack of it.

I made a more secure job than previous bodgers, but inevitably when she gets the car serviced unless they suck the oil out it will have to come off and i dare say chucked in the bin, where arguably it should have gone when new instead of being ''fitted'' so poorly at the factory, haven't a clue where the oil filter is on the 1.9 Diesel lump, not a car i'd want to work on seeing how almost every bolt you want to access on the heap is corroded badly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/02/2023 at 12:08

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - corax

An excellent suggestion Stevieb, can see Andrew's problem there, i don't get this european makers stupid idea of a one piece full engine undertray

I think it's supposed to be for aerodynamics, which is a bit of a joke after the SUV/crossover craze took over.

... inevitably clips etc break because the tray is off so regularly it usually ends up a bodged cable tied mess after a few years.

That is exactly what happened when the SW went to my nearest garage. The first time they didn't bother to put the sump guard back, nor to tell me they hadn't. Unfortunately they also replaced a CV boot for the MoT (the same one they replaced the year before ??) so I looked underneath to check. Took car back next day to complain, and they put the guard back with cable ties, crooked. Not going there again, as they didn't even bother to read the job sheet I gave them, made it up as they went along, with a different grade of oil.

No other place had had a problem with the sump guard in about 10 previous oil changes.

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/02/2023 at 12:56

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - focussed

Our last three cars bought and dealer serviced until end of warranty have all had undertrays, steel or plastic, secured by screws that obviously defeat the expertise of the "technicians" who are obviously able to remove them but are unable to tighten them so they don't loosen and drop off leaving part of the undertray drooping down.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - madf

Both our 2012 Honda Jazz and 2002 Toyota Yaris have under-engine panels attached by plastic fasteners.

Both have access ports in those panels - attached with plastic fasteners - which give access to oil filter and drain plus.

I have changed oil on both for years with no problems.. Easy when jacked up, even easier over a pit.(which we have).

I always thought VW's engineering sucks:

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - sammy1

The latest MINI also has these panels for easy access.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Rerepo

Currently at our villa in Thailand. I recently had a basic service done on our 2022 Toyota Yaris. Done at the big main agent in Bangkok. Price for the service, including Toyota-branded 0W20 SN-spec fully synthetic oil and oil filter, was THB1500 - about £40. They gave me the oil can with remainder of the oil in it. They invoiced me for the service but I paid for it with a coupon I got when I bought the car (free servicing for three years).

We also have a villa in Mojacar, Spain, and I keep a 2016 Avensis 1.8 there. 'Minor Service' at the main dealer last year was about €70. UK seems to be absolutely extortionate these days.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - John F

I always thought VW's engineering sucks:

VW Beetle.....Audi quattro.....VW Nardo......Bugatti Veyron.....Audi R8.....

Lidl have a battery powered oil suction extractor Andrew so you will be able to continue servicing the Peugeot.

Thanks for the suggestion Stevie, but I think I shall continue giving this car the treatment it has had for about 14 years. I might be able to suck out the oil, but I would still have to get at the filter, which I think is a replaceable-element type, not a cartridge. I don't mind paying a fair sum for rather messy work with the proper equipment.

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - blindspot

on of my indies told me the other day .ill change the oil in the golfs but it'll be a suck out not adrain. he makes it clear to customers

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - caparn

I recently took on the task of servicing my Golf MK4 Diesel PD150 myself. This involved changing the oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter. Surprisingly, the process is straightforward and can be completed in about an hour. To address the issue of smoke coming out of the exhaust, I also use an affordable engine flush that costs less than £5.

For the oil filter replacement, I recommend using an oil filter wrench, which you can find on Amazon: [oil filter wrench on Amazon]. As for the oil itself, I purchase it from eBay: [oil on eBay]. A 5-litre container usually costs around £15 (I buy 2 containers for less than £30).

To obtain filters such as oil, air, pollen, and fuel, you can check out Halfords, eBay, or suppliers like GSF car parts. Typically, the entire set of filters costs around £30.

In addition, I use an oil pump from Lidl as an extra tool. This pump allows me to insert a tube through the dipstick hole, enabling me to perform a complete major service for approximately £50. This saves both money and time compared to the hefty £200 charge at my local garage.

Edited by caparn on 16/07/2023 at 13:35

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - Mr Mc

I get Castrol 507 spec oil at Costco when on offer & supply to my independent, he sorts the filter & labour for my Golf TDi. Nowhere near £115 total cost. Might be worth a try ?

Edited by Mr Mc on 16/07/2023 at 19:13

VW Golf TDI - Oil and filter change costs at garages WTF - SLO76
Buy electric, no more oil changes to do.