Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - zsanett galantay

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone had similar issues. I have a automatic, 1.4 Astra GTC, petrol car, 40k miles, 2016 plate.

I had coolant problems since last year, some hoses were changed last year as the coolant leaked out. Then it was fine till like September, I noticed when accelerating to 60-70 the temp gauge jumped up for 10 seconds or so then went back down to normal and stayed that way. Also, the coolant leak was back.

The mechanic changed waterpump and thermostat. But when I drive and the car reaches operating temperature the pressure pushes the coolant out of the reservois and its visibly dripping. Once the car cools down the dripping stops and I refill the coolant.

The car does NOT over heat, it does NOT have frothy oil, it does NOT have white exhaust, it does NOT make funny noises. Only symptom is the coolant pushed out of the reservoir.

My mechanic says he has done the head gasket test but it was inconclusive because the color changed to green i think which is for diesel cars not for petrol cars. He said its best I start to save up for the head gasket to be changed because he cannot think of anything else but he doesnt want to open up the engine either if its not head gasket. Also, if its the head gasket can I still drive it to short distances for a month or so? Like a couple hundred miles in a month on normal town traffic not on motorways.

So did anyone have similar where there were no usual head gasket symptoms just one persistent symptom?

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - elekie&a/c doctor
Has the coolant reservoir cap been replaced?

Not yet, was thinking to get a new one. Thats something I can do as well right? Just need to buy one from Eurocarparts and change it over.

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - bathtub tom

Was the system bled correctly when the hoses were changed? I'm thinking a possible vapour lock.

I am really not sure , that was last year this time. It all worked fine until about September then it started to mess around with a very very slow leak, bottle of coolant a month. Amd since December of so it started the symptom of the pressure pushing the coolant out. I use around half bottle of coolant a week now.

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - edlithgow

i had similar symptoms which everyone and his dog assured me was a failing head gasket, but turned out to be air in the system.

Some cars are difficult to refill completely by conventional means, but there are vacuum fill devices available to help fill these difficult cases I don't know if your car is such a case..

I don't have one, so now I purge air by boiling the coolant (fan disabled) into a funnel wedged into the rad filler port. This is a bit alarming, but I think its safer than running the car with an air pocket.

IF you have an air pocket, it will probably clear itself eventually, (mine did) but there seems to me to be a risk of damage if it moves to an especially hot part of the engine, such as the head near the exhaust valves.

As well as the exhaust-gas-in-the-rad test, you could try getting the cooling system pressure tested.

You can also test (look up "blotter spot test"for DIY) for traces of ethylene glycol in the oil, though this is usually only done for fleets.

Severe oil contamination will be obvious and you've said you don't have that.

As far as I know there is no test (apart from visible steam) for traces of coolant in the exhaust.

Edited by edlithgow on 31/01/2023 at 01:58

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - Adampr

I'm a bit surprised that you've got to this stage without your mechanic suggesting a new cap. That is usually step one on any coolant issue.

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - Gibbo_Wirral

I had the same problem in a 1.4 Peugeot 308. Turned out to be a blocked radiator.

But could it be the water pump?

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 31/01/2023 at 13:14

Waterpump already changed last month. I ordered a new coolant tank cap and when my MOT is due I will ask them to maybe look a the radiator. Because if there are no other symptoms for head gasket then it must be something else. Hopefully

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - RichardW

2 simple checks for HG failure:

With cap on and engine hot, leave it to cool overnight, then remove cap. Does it hiss?

Refit cap, and restart engine. Run for a minute or two, shut off and remove cap. Does it hiss?

If either answers are yes, the HG has gone (or the head is cracked....)

If you re-start the engine with the cap off, and look in the reservoir you may see bubbles coming up; also a sure sign that the HG is away.

Yeah I think he said it, not sure. But ordered a new so fingers crossed that will be it

Vauxhall Astra GTC - What else if not head gasket? - skidpan

I remember the first car I had with a sealed cooling system. It started venting water from the pressure vessel cap after turning off and I immediately leapt the conclusion it was the head gasket despite all temps being fine and no mayonnaise in the cam cover. Spent 1/2 a day fitting gasket and it still vented water. It was then suggested that I buy a new cap, not from the manufacturer but from Halfords ensuring there was a paint dab on the cap (supposedly meant it had been tested). No more issues.