What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Need a new car, how much should I spend? - OceanMan

Hey all

My car looks like it's on its way out and it may be time for a new old one. I don't have a max budget per se, as I'll be taking out a loan for it (I very recently got a relatively well paying job so I don't have the cash to hand to buy a car outright, but I know I can cover loan repayments) In theory I could spend up to £5k on a car, but I don't want to do that unless its necessary. I just want to buy the best value car, not the most expensive I can afford. I'd rather spend £2k + a couple extra for maintaining it if I thought there was a decent chance of it being reliable and lasting a few years.

Basically, is there a sliding scale for reliability that matches the amount one spends? Is a £5k car going to be twice "as good" / reliable as a £2.5k one?

I don't have a family so I don't care about the size, and have absolutely no requirements apart from in getting me around and being reasonably fuel efficient / cheap to insure if possible.

I live in Warrington and would be happy to travel to view potential buys but my car isn't driving at the moment so my search radius may be a bit limited!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by OceanMan on 28/01/2023 at 13:54

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Xileno

£2k will be valeted junk if buying retail so if you want to be at that end of the market you need to have the time and confidence to buy privately.

£5k will not be twice as good or reliable as £2.5k, there are too many variables such as how it's been driven, maintained etc.

£5k is not a bad budget to start at, you need to be buying something simple with a manual gearbox and good history and something popular so you can be a bit fussy over condition. A regular recommendation on the forum is the Fiesta 1.25 or 1.4, not the 1.0.

I was going to try and create a set of links to various threads like this, we often get asked about car choices.

Here is a start:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/162730/any-recomme...s

Edited by Xileno on 28/01/2023 at 14:07

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Andrew-T

You forgot the essential words 'petrol, not diesel' !

Cheers Xileno I appreciate the response and I've read a few of those threads but I thought my situation was worth creating a new thread about because my budget is so flexible whereas most others say "£5k max" or something. I thought it was worth asking how much people think I should be spending. Also, I know the general consensus is to disregard the make / model and go on condition and certain members here offer to look for specific decent cars in the OPs area

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Xileno

Fine to start a new thread. I was trying to think of ways of drawing in threads where people have asked similar since the search facility is a bit variable in what it returns.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Adampr

If you can afford a maximum of £5k, spend four and you won't be in trouble if it goes wrong. On the face of it, this looks like a decent option:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202301253598552?a...3

If you start trawling Autotrader, don't bother with pink Suzuki Alto that's near you - it's fairly obviously a trader that doesn't want any responsibility.

Thanks for the responses. I should point out that £5k would be the absolute maximum and I'd prefer to spend under £3k if possible, probably didn't make that clear in the OP

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - badbusdriver

Thanks for the responses. I should point out that £5k would be the absolute maximum and I'd prefer to spend under £3k if possible, probably didn't make that clear in the OP

If you don't want to spend any more than 3k, don't put £5k down as your maximum price. Used car prices at the moment are crazy high and buying any used car is a gamble to some degree or other. There is no guarantee that a £5k car is going to be better than a £2.5k car (as was said earlier, there are way too many variables), but the chances are it will be, so naturally any links provided by forum members are going to be at or near the maximum price you have stated.

As is pretty much always said when someone is asking about cars in the £2-3k area, you need to buy on condition rather than make or model (beyond sticking to n/a petrol and manual gearbox). A well looked after example of a car not known for being particularly reliable could easily turn out a better buy than a neglected Toyota/Honda/Mazda etc. As well as the visual condition, look for service history (even if this is receipts for parts fitted by the owner), look online at the MOT history.

If you can afford a maximum of £5k, spend four and you won't be in trouble if it goes wrong. On the face of it, this looks like a decent option:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202301253598552?a...3

If you start trawling Autotrader, don't bother with pink Suzuki Alto that's near you - it's fairly obviously a trader that doesn't want any responsibility.

This car looks immaculate from the MOT history and it's the same model as my current one. I'll definitely keep it in mind if it comes to that. If anyone can recommend more in the area I'd appreciate it.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Crickleymal

Where are you located? If size is not a problem I'd say something like a Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1 as my wife has a 2008 Aygo and it's been trouble free in the three years we've owned it. Not a car for long journeys though.

I live in Warrington. Funnily enough I own a 1.25 fiesta and despite its many faults since I've owned it I quite like it and wouldn't mind another.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Engineer Andy

Hey all

My car looks like it's on its way out and it may be time for a new old one.

Thanks in advance for the help!

How 'near to the end' is your current car? Is it regaularly breaking down with different faults, and/or is seriously corroding structurally?

If not, then you might find making do and mending may tide you over for a year or more, allowing you to save up to buy a much better replacement than your current 'budget' (including loan) allows, including not needing to take out a loan and thus no interest to pay.

It would be a good idea for you to find out a) what any work that needs to be done to keep it on the road will cost, and b) how much you can realistically save with your higher salary over a realistic timeframe of the current car's remaining life (in your hands).

Even a 6 month period might reduce any loan to a more manageable level, bearing in mind how interest rates have risen significantly over the last year. To me, it would be pointless spending all your higher salary on servicing a debt on a car that isn't that new itself, given the (still) high price of second hand cars (+25 to 30& above) relative to the historical norm.

They are showing signs of softening and may do a lot more as the likely recession hits. That being said, your new job may not be as secure either, given most firms utilise a 'last-in-first-out' policy in hard times. Just be careful.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - John F

My car looks like it's on its way out and it may be time for a new old one.

How 'near to the end' is your current car? Is it regaularly breaking down with different faults, and/or is seriously corroding structurally?

If not, then you might find making do and mending may tide you over for a year or more, allowing you to save up to buy a much better replacement than your current 'budget' (including loan) allows, including not needing to take out a loan and thus no interest to pay.

Exactly my thought. I thought our rusty Focus was 'on its way out' at 18yrs old and around 140,000 miles but it gave another three years and many more miles service at minimal cost. What is the age and mileage of this tired looking Fiesta?

Well I'd planned on keeping this running for as long as possible, but when driving to work this morning the car lost power and a cloud of white smoke was coming from the exhaust. By pure luck I got it into my work's carpark, but I'm assuming it's a head gasket issue considering the symptoms. Which is rather embarrassing as in a recent thread of mine a few posters here said so and i thought they were wrong.

If I'm wrong and it's something more minor I'll happily pay for a repair to keep it running.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - Adampr

People get very dramatic about head gaskets, but the major issue is that it's normally entirely avoidable rather than outright expensive. You're probably looking at £600-£700 for a new one in a Fiesta. If the car is rust free and otherwise working, I would be inclined to get it repaired; right now any used car is about £2,000 more than it 'ought' to be.

People get very dramatic about head gaskets, but the major issue is that it's normally entirely avoidable rather than outright expensive. You're probably looking at £600-£700 for a new one in a Fiesta. If the car is rust free and otherwise working, I would be inclined to get it repaired; right now any used car is about £2,000 more than it 'ought' to be.

I hadn't actually decided to get a new one I was just considering my options with this thread and my car is currently in my work's carpark and I won't be getting it towed to a garage until Monday so I have some time to consider my options.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - gordonbennet

I too would fix what you've got, you might be buying more trouble than you currently have.

Appreciate the responses. One spanner in the works is that the MOT is due in about two months. If I had 6+ months on the MOT already I'd lean towards fixing it too, but I'm worried that I could fix it now then fork out a few hundred more again soon

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - edlithgow

Appreciate the responses. One spanner in the works is that the MOT is due in about two months. If I had 6+ months on the MOT already I'd lean towards fixing it too, but I'm worried that I could fix it now then fork out a few hundred more again soon

MOT it first then.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - gordonbennet

MOT it first then.

If its chucking out fumes then chances are it wil fail the test, but for the cost of submitting it and see what else if anything it fails on would indeed be a good plan.

MOT it first then.

If its chucking out fumes then chances are it wil fail the test, but for the cost of submitting it and see what else if anything it fails on would indeed be a good plan.

Can't remember (if I ever knew) how the MOT deals with "show stopping" faults, but I have unfortunately reason to know that if a car is visibly overheating here (in Taiwan) they abort the test.

Overheating you could in theory get away with by taking it in cold, but a bust head gasket might to be doing its thing from startup.

I'd expect the MOT to be the same about steam billowing out of the exhaust, so if its that bad my plan probably wouldn't work.

Temporary lashups like that leak-stopping stuff (say, the GM approved ginger fibre tablet that I've forgotten the name of) likely wouldn't cut it enough for long enough to get through the test, though might be worth a try..

Edited by edlithgow on 29/01/2023 at 23:06

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - FoxyJukebox
If spending £5k on a car, I’d want an MOT pass on it first, then for peace of mind I’d get all the mot advisables dealt with for that price-then to be sure-4 new tyres,, new brake shoes/discs and even brake pipes-so I’m thinking £7k minimum for initial outlay .A £5 k car is on the way out isn’t it?

Basically, is there a sliding scale for reliability that matches the amount one spends? Is a £5k car going to be twice "as good" / reliable as a £2.5k one?

No, certainly not on an individual case basis.

Statistically, for new cars there tends to be an inverse relationship between price and reliability, so you don't "get what you pay for", IF you thought you were paying for reliability.

Used (which I see is what you are talking about, though your title is misleading) dunno. Not seen any data on that, though I suppose it might be extractable from the warranty company numbers.

Hey all

My car looks like it's on its way out...

ALL cars are on their way out.

A £5 k car is on the way out isn’t it?

Of course not!, you sound like my mother in law!

She very much believes all new cars are reliable and all old cars (10 years plus) are unreliable!. That view is way, way too simplistic, it completely ignores that fact that some cars are inherently more reliable than others, and completely ignores the possibility of any difference in reliability between a well looked after car and a neglected one.

<< That view is way, way too simplistic, it completely ignores that fact that some cars are inherently more reliable than others, and completely ignores the possibility of any difference in reliability between a well looked after car and a neglected one. >>

And even that ignores another variable - individual conceptions of 'unreliability'. Some are happy to accept the odd quirk or niggle, while others find them so annoying they can't help looking for a different car ....

She very much believes all new cars are reliable and all old cars (10 years plus) are unreliable!. That view is way, way too simplistic, it completely ignores that fact that some cars are inherently more reliable than others, and completely ignores the possibility of any difference in reliability between a well looked after car and a neglected one.

She sounds Taiwanese.

Mind you, Taiwanese are probably right to ignore the possibility of any difference in reliability between a well looked after car and a neglected one, due to the low probability of finding a Taiwanese who has looked after a car well.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - John F

She very much believes all new cars are reliable and all old cars ........ are unreliable!. That view is way, way too simplistic, it completely ignores that fact that some cars are inherently more reliable than others, and completely ignores the possibility of any difference in reliability between a well looked after car and a neglected one.

Bit like people, really. '..am I going to die...?' 'yes'. Although some cars are apparently immortal.....

Although some cars are apparently immortal.....

My uncle has a Morris 8 which, if memory serves, was made in the late 30's

Does he drive it ?

Does he drive it ?

Yes, he drives it to all the local classic car shows. Doesn't have time for "trailer queens", so he makes a point of this!.

Maybe not for much longer though as he is in very poor health.

Need a new car, how much should I spend? - pd

The things about reliability and longevity is you have to take into account how much you use the car.

Put simply, all other things being equal, a car doing 2000 miles a year will almost certainly last longer than one doing 20,000.

That applies to budgets as well. It is relatively easy to find a £5k car which if you do 1500 miles a year in it stands a good chance of lasting 5 years without major incident even if it had 120k on the clock when you bought it. Do 25k a year in it and that is obviously more challenging.

The things about reliability and longevity is you have to take into account how much you use the car.

Put simply, all other things being equal, a car doing 2000 miles a year will almost certainly last longer than one doing 20,000.

That applies to budgets as well. It is relatively easy to find a £5k car which if you do 1500 miles a year in it stands a good chance of lasting 5 years without major incident even if it had 120k on the clock when you bought it. Do 25k a year in it and that is obviously more challenging.

Short journeys with lots of stopping and starting where the car is never getting up to temperature are much worse for it than long journeys at a steady speed where the car is in its optimum operating window.

Well, just an update but I spent the morning ringing garages and one told me that they wouldn't do the head gasket on a fiesta because after being repaired the fault may still be present and the others have a 2-3 week wait before they can even look at it.

Another update. I just dropped it at a garage and the mechanic doesn't think its a head gasket issue because it isn't losing coolant and the oil looks okay. He thinks it's firing on 3 rather than 4 cylinders, hope he's right because he said that's less expensive to fix

Another update. I just dropped it at a garage and the mechanic doesn't think its a head gasket issue because it isn't losing coolant and the oil looks okay. He thinks it's firing on 3 rather than 4 cylinders, hope he's right because he said that's less expensive to fix

Fingers crossed then!

He thinks it's firing on 3 rather than 4 cylinders, hope he's right because he said that's less expensive to fix

Fingers crossed indeed. The difficulty is that the symptoms of HG failure can vary with where the failure is - which galleries have been connected. The CO2 sniffer method or compression test can give false indications.

Short journeys with lots of stopping and starting where the car is never getting up to temperature are much worse for it than long journeys at a steady speed where the car is in its optimum operating window.

Yes, to a certain extent, but I can assure you the average car with 200k on it will still be considerably more knackered and have needed much more maintenance work to get there than the average one of the same age with 30k on the clock.

If you buy a car with 125k on it and run it for 5 years all other things being equal do you think it'll be a better car at the end with 250k on the clock having done 25k pa or with 135k having done 2k pa?

Yes, to a certain extent, but I can assure you the average car with 200k on it will still be considerably more knackered and have needed much more maintenance work to get there than the average one of the same age with 30k on the clock.

If you buy a car with 125k on it and run it for 5 years all other things being equal do you think it'll be a better car at the end with 250k on the clock having done 25k pa or with 135k having done 2k pa?

Not sure where these numbers are coming from, or their relevance, seeing as nobody has suggested the OP buy a car with 100K+ miles, never mind 200k. And while the OP has not indicated their annual miles, there is nothing to suggest that they will be doing 25k per annum.

But in order for me to answer the question, I'd need to know what king of car we are talking about, along with what engine and gearbox. The problem with making such sweeping statements is that it assumes all cars are the same in terms of reliability.

Not sure where these numbers are coming from, or their relevance, seeing as nobody has suggested the OP buy a car with 100K+ miles, never mind 200k. And while the OP has not indicated their annual miles, there is nothing to suggest that they will be doing 25k per annum.

But in order for me to answer the question, I'd need to know what king of car we are talking about, along with what engine and gearbox. The problem with making such sweeping statements is that it assumes all cars are the same in terms of reliability.

I did say all other things being equal. And to go back to the original point all I am saying is the more you use a car the more toll it takes. Two people could buy the same make/model and one do 50k and one do 150k. The 50k one might declare it a stunningly reliable model and the 150k one not because they had a big bill at 120k. In truth it is probably neither.

Incidentally, at the price ranges mentioned the OP probably will be looking at a higher mileage car in the current market.

Edited by pd on 30/01/2023 at 21:04

Apparently the "core plugs" were rotted so they were swapped, and a new coil pack added. Cost £210 in total and all seems good!

All other things are never equal.

So I don't know.