Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Linda Norton

Really hope someone can advise….

I have been driving for 35 plus years and never needed a new clutch on my other cars.

My Sportage is 2015 model and has had 2 replaced by my garage averaging only 20,000 miles each time before it was claimed wear and tear

I am a careful driver (I do not ride the clutch!) and I cannot understand how another one has failed. I noticed last week the accelerator felt a little spongy and revved as I accelerated from time to time. 2 days later the accelerator would not work at all and I broke down on a hill!

Dealership says it will cost around £400 just to look at it and around £750 for a new clutch. They said they will try and claim under warranty if a fault is found but the car is just out of warranty

I am adamant that it is not wear and tear and that they should inspect it without charge

Would really appreciate your views

Many thanks

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - skidpan

Clutches are only covered for a short time on most (if not all) manufacturers warranties however if you can prove the failure is down to a manufacturing or fitting problem you may be covered. Since the clutch has already been replaced twice you can forget getting Kia involved, its nothing to do with them at all.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Adampr

Clutches are only covered for a short time on most (if not all) manufacturers warranties however if you can prove the failure is down to a manufacturing or fitting problem you may be covered. Since the clutch has already been replaced twice you can forget getting Kia involved, its nothing to do with them at all.

Unless it was Kia that replaced it the previous two times.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Xileno

I'm struggling with this one. The garage say they will try and claim under warranty if a fault is found but then you go on to say it's out of warranty?

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - sammy1

Not good clutches every 2years and 20000miles which is only average mileage. Have you tried looking on KIA forums or other sited to see if other owners have a clutch problem. if you are looking at a bill of twelve hundred you may be better off just getting a price from another garage and save their silly inspection fee

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Falkirk Bairn

Hyundai/Kia have had a series of "clutch problems" going back a decade+

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Engineer Andy

Hyundai/Kia have had a series of "clutch problems" going back a decade+

I do recall reports on HJ (not sure if in the Good / Bad section or here in the Backroom forum) of 'weak clutches' in some Hyundais, which presumably meant KIAs were also affected. Oddly enough I don't recall issues in their DCTs, which is ironic, given with most makes that have them it's the other way around.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - John F

I have been driving for 35 plus years and never needed a new clutch on my other cars......My Sportage is 2015 model and has had 2 replaced by my garage averaging only 20,000 miles each time before it was claimed wear and tear.....I am a careful driver (I do not ride the clutch!) and I cannot understand how another one has failed. I noticed last week the accelerator felt a little spongy and revved as I accelerated from time to time......

You are not alone. Try searching 'kia clutch problems' and there are many similar stories. It surprises me that this unsatisfactory piece of cheap far eastern powertrain engineering is so high in the reliability charts. A well made clutch assembly should last a mechanically sympathetic driver at least 100,000 miles.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - FiestaOwner

Really hope someone can advise….

I have been driving for 35 plus years and never needed a new clutch on my other cars.

My Sportage is 2015 model and has had 2 replaced by my garage averaging only 20,000 miles each time before it was claimed wear and tear

I am a careful driver (I do not ride the clutch!) and I cannot understand how another one has failed. I noticed last week the accelerator felt a little spongy and revved as I accelerated from time to time. 2 days later the accelerator would not work at all and I broke down on a hill!

Dealership says it will cost around £400 just to look at it and around £750 for a new clutch. They said they will try and claim under warranty if a fault is found but the car is just out of warranty

I am adamant that it is not wear and tear and that they should inspect it without charge

Have a read about my experience with the clutches on a new Hyundai i20 (Hyundai and Kia use the same mechanical parts). Complete clutch kit changed twice in first 6000 miles and was still faulty.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=130963

I would replace the car. In my view, it will never be right.

Kia Sportage 2015 - Third clutch needed in just 6 years! - Metropolis.
Agreed. Maybe the best thing to do is just go for a full repair (using pattern parts if you can) and then sell it quickly.