What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A5 Sportback - Advice needed - tyres - Joe Moran

Hi

My rear driver side tyre blew out on an A road last night. I am going to sort out getting a new tyre today so I was checking what tyre I need

Turns out I need a 245/40 R18 93Y to replace like for like (even though the front tyres are 97Y??)

Anyway - when looking what I need I checked the other tyres. The tread depths are all fine, but the side wall of the rear passenger tyre looks like this (see link below - it's just a link to a blank webpage with a picture of my tyre on it)

joe-morans-site.yolasite.com

Should I worry about this and replace the rear passenger side tyre as well even though the tread depth is fine?

Thank you

Edited by Joe Moran on 13/01/2023 at 09:32

Audi A5 Sportback - Advice needed - tyres - Cris_on_the_gas

replace it

Audi A5 Sportback - Advice needed - tyres - Xileno

Tread depth is only one aspect in a tyre's health. On any car of mine if the tyre was cracking like that and I had to replace the other side, I would have both done.

It is impossible to accurately diagnose the condition from a photo. For example, what is the other side of the tyre like? How old is it? The date of manufacture will be on the sidewall.

Therefore the only sensible recommendation if you are in any doubt is to take it for a professional inspection

Audi A5 Sportback - Advice needed - tyres - badbusdriver

Turns out I need a 245/40 R18 93Y to replace like for like (even though the front tyres are 97Y??)

I'm assuming these are not the original tyres for the car as it is very unlikely it would have come from the factory with tyres of a different weight rating front to rear. As long as the weight rating of the tyres are not less than it should be for the car its fine. My VW Caddy van has a GVW (gross vehicle weight, i.e, the heaviest the van can legally weigh fully laden) of around 2200kg and I would generally use 91-95, so I would say 93's would be fine (but check if you want what the factory fitted). Using a higher weight rating than needed may adversely affect the ride a little (it isn't a big difference after all), but it shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

I haven't looked at your pics, but if you have any doubts about the tyres, replace them.

Audi A5 Sportback - Advice needed - tyres - Adampr

I would replace both:

1. You will have both tyres on the same tread depth and even wear.

2. That sidewall looks a bit weird. Had it been scrubbed on a curb?

3. If the other side blew out and was the same type and age, it may be that they're degrading and needed replacing.