What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - ThomW

Hello All,

Due to other road users using the pavement/dropped kerb to area to do 3 point turns the pavement has worn away meaning access to property causes vehicles to scrape underneath. Do the council have a duty to repair the pavement for the home owner to gain access without vehicle damage?

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - Gibbo_Wirral

Some pics would help. Pavements are usually made of paving slabs, so I'm struggling to visualise what you're saying.

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - ThomW

The pavement is tarmac, fine stuff, so every time a vehicle does a 3point turn with its wheels on the pavement it has been scrubbed away, you can see where the wheels have been turned. Unable to take pictures as not in the area. The driveway is on a slope down and so the pavement wear is causing quite an apex.

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - Adampr

If it's an adopted, public, road then yes, the Council has a duty to maintain it. However, most Councils are nearly bankrupt so by all means call it in to your County highways department but don't expect anything to happen.

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - Ian_SW

I'd be surprised if the pavement wear would change its height by more than an inch, so the car must have been very close to grounding before to be scraping on the ground now.

If the whole pavement has collapsed, it would be worth reporting to the highways people, but the more likely route to a solution would be to reprofile the entry to the driveway on your own land so it initially doesn't go down so steeply (or change the car for one with more ground clearance)

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - skidpan

Pavements are usually made of paving slabs

Not where we live. I can only think of one street where the pavement is slabbed and walking down there is a bit hazardous.

At our old house the footpath crossing (which we paid the council to construct after we bought the house) sank over the years (probably no more than a inch) but even with the Caterham there was never a hint of grounding the car. It was certainly more of a risk to pedestrians and I raised it with the local Councillor when he came begging for our vote. Nothing was ever done but other roads in the district where members from that part lived (not a party that has any members in government) were resurfaced at some considerable expense.

Not what you know etc.

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - bathtub tom

If it's adopted, report it to the relevant council. Any damage it causes can then be claimed if it's not repaired within a reasonable time.

I don't know what 'reasonable' means.

Worn our pavement causing vehicle damage - Engineer Andy

If it's adopted, report it to the relevant council. Any damage it causes can then be claimed if it's not repaired within a reasonable time.

I don't know what 'reasonable' means.

Normally they only fix road and pavement issues if they are of imminent danger. A large pothole in the road, especially where to avoid to is either impossible or you have to swerve into oncoming traffic would be a good example. For pavements, it normally is either a large, deep hole or severely broken surface, mainly because young children, the elderly or disabled could easily trip and fall, and also get badly cut/injured by the sharp debris.

I make sure any report gives such information as it then ups the priority to a 2-day job. It does work, at least for the 'better-run' councils' highways depts. Most non-critical work gets put into a long queue, which could be weeks or even months to get repaired.

Always best to be honest about the report, and include photos where possible. A wrongly categorised fault can lead to serious injury - case in point a local road gully collapsed, leaving a hole, but filled up with water, and a kid fell through. Needless to say after it was publicised in the local rage, the council fixed it the next day.