What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - December sales figures - mcb100
SMMT’s December figures have been published, along, obviously, with year end.

For December it’s:-
Tesla Model Y
Tesla Model 3
Qashqai
MINI
T-Roc
Yaris
XC40
Fiesta
LEAF
Puma

For 2022 it’s:-
Qashqai
Corsa
Model Y
Puma
MINI
KIA Sportage
Hyundai Tucson
Golf
Kuga
Fiesta

EV was 16.6% of 2022 but 32.9% of December.

All - December sales figures - Engineer Andy

As stated before, EV sales (in comparison) always jump up/down at certain times of the year because Tesla only import their cars in a few batches.

In general, it's not surprising that EV sales have gone up as car sales are down generally from their peak and new EVs are really the preserve of the better off.

Sales of ICE and especially small-medium non-fashion cars (e.g. the Mini) has dramtically dropped over recent years because the huge regulatory drive to adding 'safety' and emissions devices has effectively priced many buyers out and thus manufacturers have and are (Fiesta) dropping such models at an increasing rate.

The so-called 'alternative' SUVs / crossovers are in relaity very different cars, mostly reasonably (or a lot) bigger, heavier, not as good handling and way more expensive.

I suspect that EV sales are either at or near their peak of the 'first wave' (before the tech sufficiently improves to significantly reduce costs like we had in home AV and computers 10-20 years ago) because most people who want (including the virtue-signallers who previously bought hybrids like Priuses etc early on) and can afford them have by and large bought one.

The realities of raw material supplies and of EV ownership itself, especially as regard to charging away from the home, will likely reinforce this unless and until things on those fronts improve enough to make EVsa better prospect for the ordinary car owner.

All - December sales figures - Adampr

More importantly, who keeps buying Qashqais?

More importantly, who keeps buying Qashqais?

Slightly less naive people than who were buying Jukes up until a year ago?

I’ll add a touch of clarification to the Tesla figures in that they report internally every quarter, with the express intention of not carrying over unsold inventory to the next quarter. Hence the rush to get cars out of the door in March, June, September and December. They externally report every month, but you get four peaks a year.
The other difference in what they do is only register a sale once the customer has the keys in their hand - no preregistrations to falsely boost numbers and earn bonuses. You won’t find brand new, registered Teslas awaiting customers.
So far as a peak in general EV sales, the figures going forward in 2023 will tell the tale.

Edited by mcb100 on 06/01/2023 at 14:10

All - December sales figures - Xileno

I suspect a large number of the EVs are second cars. I know several households where that's the case with the other being ICE. Anyone know if any stats exist on this?

All - December sales figures - Big John

I suspect a large number of the EVs are second cars. I know several households where that's the case with the other being ICE.

I'd second this - I know three households who have taken the electric car plunge but still have a second ICE car, usually a hybrid.

All - December sales figures - RT

I suspect a large number of the EVs are second cars. I know several households where that's the case with the other being ICE.

I'd second this - I know three households who have taken the electric car plunge but still have a second ICE car, usually a hybrid.

I'll go the other way round when the time comes - our main car is a big diesel SUV and will remain that way for the forseeable future as EVs simply can't do long-haul towing in an acceptable time - we have a small petrol car for short urban trips and this will eventually get replaced by an EV but without any cost savings, given the price of secondhand EVs.

Never seen any figures to that effect.
Equally I know more and more folk using an EV as the primary (and maybe long distance) car.
All - December sales figures - movilogo

It seems SUVs are selling more than smaller cars.

Are people buying more expensive SUVs only nowadays or manufacturers are only pushing SUVs because profit margin is higher on them?

When I search on Auto Trader, I see more SUVs for sale than hatchback (e.g. Kia Sportage vs Ceed).

Are people buying more expensive SUVs only nowadays or manufacturers are only pushing SUVs because profit margin is higher on them?

When I search on Auto Trader, I see more SUVs for sale than hatchback (e.g. Kia Sportage vs Ceed).

Crossovers are very popular, more spacious and more practical than the equivalent size hatchback - it's customer demand, not a manufacturers' conspiracy!

All - December sales figures - corax

Crossovers are very popular, more spacious and more practical than the equivalent size hatchback - it's customer demand, not a manufacturers' conspiracy!

Some bright spark in an office dreamt up the concept of a hatchback on stilts, then the first crossover was born, was it the Nissan Qashquai? There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. Then everyone buys the same, either to fit in with the crowd, or they actually like the concept and it suits them, or the model they really wanted has become obsolete or unavailable in the country and they have no choice but to buy one.

Edited by corax on 06/01/2023 at 19:54

Some bright spark in an office dreamt up the concept of a hatchback on stilts, then the first crossover was born, was it the Nissan Qashquai? There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. Then everyone buys the same, either to fit in with the crowd, or they actually like the concept and it suits them, or the model they really wanted has become obsolete and they have no choice but to buy one.

Of course there's a choice - no-one is forced to buy a crossover, there are still hatchbacks available to purchase, eg Corsa, Astra, Insignia, Fiesta, Focus, Polo, Golf.

Some bright spark in an office dreamt up the concept of a hatchback on stilts, then the first crossover was born, was it the Nissan Qashquai? There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. Then everyone buys the same, either to fit in with the crowd, or they actually like the concept and it suits them, or the model they really wanted has become obsolete and they have no choice but to buy one.

Of course there's a choice - no-one is forced to buy a crossover, there are still hatchbacks available to purchase, eg Corsa, Astra, Insignia, Fiesta, Focus, Polo, Golf.

Yes and no - as I've mentioned before, cars on the outside get bigger but are getting smaller on the inside due to more gizmos and safety features. I noticed this when I was looking to buy a replacement for my 2006 Mazda3 saloon a few years ago, where all of the possibles of the same type I looked at appeared to be less spacious inside.

I also think that many have far shallower boots (possibly because they have underboot areas by design) which is no use to me.

It means you often have to go up in the range and size, say to an SUV. Annoyingly, many saloons (like mine) have decent boot space but the aperture is small and not suitable to fit certain items through like large boxes. A hatchback opening (as all SUVs have as well as standard hatchback cars [obviously]) is useful for access and thus takes most saloons off my list, which is a shame, as they fit the bill in most other respects, some of them being excellent in terms of the drive, interior space and styling.

All - December sales figures - gordonbennet

There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. Then everyone buys the same, either to fit in with the crowd, or they actually like the concept and it suits them, or the model they really wanted has become obsolete or unavailable in the country and they have no choice but to buy one.

More truths about people and why we are where we are in that statement than enough, we badly need some individuals and individual choice again before they come up with a jab or legislation supposed to prevent it, which won't work of course but most will go along with it emporer's clothes like.

All - December sales figures - alan1302

There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. T

Nissan tried a new style of car - which was popular and people bought it. Other manufacturers saw that and so produced similar cars. People bought those as well - which is why there are so many of them now. So the make less more traditional hatchbacks as the majority don't want them. If you were a mainstream manufacturer would you produce cars the majority of people don't want?

There wasn't a demand by customers, they are given what they are given, no choice on the matter. T

Nissan tried a new style of car - which was popular and people bought it. Other manufacturers saw that and so produced similar cars. People bought those as well - which is why there are so many of them now. So the make less more traditional hatchbacks as the majority don't want them. If you were a mainstream manufacturer would you produce cars the majority of people don't want?

No, but I don't understand why so much technology is sunk into engines to use less fuel then those engines are placed in a car which is heavier and less aerodynamic than before, just to sit a bit higher. Those two factors are some of the easiest to implement. So when people moan about the price of fuel (the poor, downtrodden motorist), and then go out and buy a crossover, I don't have a lot of sympathy. People are welcome to buy whatever they want, and crossovers are one of those choices, but it's a strange mismatch of concepts by manufacturers in this day and age of striving for more efficiency.

Edited by corax on 07/01/2023 at 11:44

All - December sales figures - badbusdriver

Crossovers are very popular, more spacious and more practical than the equivalent size hatchback

Not really that easy to compare like for like though, because the SUV/crossover will invariably be bigger than whatever hatchback it is most closely related to. In most cases, the footprint of the estate version of the hatch will be closer in size, which puts a different slant on which is most practical. Being purely pragmatic, that really boils down to whether or not sitting up a bit higher/having a little more headroom/ease of use for child seats is more important to you than boot size/capacity/floorspace plus ultimate load length with seats folded.

Arguably one of the first crossovers was the original Juke which, in terms of space and practicality was utterly hopeless and had (despite a 15% bigger footprint) no more boot space or interior space than the Micra of the same age. The Jazz of that age completely destroys the Juke for practicality and space despite also being shorter and narrower.

If you look at interior space and practicality within a given footprint, an MPV will beat an equivalent sized SUV/Crossover hands down. But these days image comes first, so the MPV as a breed has all but died out.

Crossovers are very popular, more spacious and more practical than the equivalent size hatchback

Not really that easy to compare like for like though, because the SUV/crossover will invariably be bigger than whatever hatchback it is most closely related to. In most cases, the footprint of the estate version of the hatch will be closer in size, which puts a different slant on which is most practical. Being purely pragmatic, that really boils down to whether or not sitting up a bit higher/having a little more headroom/ease of use for child seats is more important to you than boot size/capacity/floorspace plus ultimate load length with seats folded.

Arguably one of the first crossovers was the original Juke which, in terms of space and practicality was utterly hopeless and had (despite a 15% bigger footprint) no more boot space or interior space than the Micra of the same age. The Jazz of that age completely destroys the Juke for practicality and space despite also being shorter and narrower.

If you look at interior space and practicality within a given footprint, an MPV will beat an equivalent sized SUV/Crossover hands down. But these days image comes first, so the MPV as a breed has all but died out.

The first crossovers were the 1977 Matra Rancho and 1994 Subaru Outback

That might be because more people are rightly holding onto their smaller supermini and C-sector car (I am) because new versions are vastly more expensive than what I paid for mine (even taking inflation into account), and frankly a good percentage can't afford £20k+ for one.

I know I can't at the moment, so why change when your existing can does a perfectly decent job at a low cost and practical zero depreciation. Mine just passed its 15th MOT in a row.

I'd also wager that some people who've bought 'fashionable' cars often become uphappy with them because they don't live up to the hype or they are all looks and not good at driving or are expensive to run.

It would be nice to also think that more and more people are ditching cars with bling large alloys and low profile tyres + hard suspension, but that would be asking a bit too much of most. Some will, but not that many.

All - December sales figures - expat

Interesting. In Australia EVs were 3% of 2022 sales.

Interesting. In Australia EVs were 3% of 2022 sales.

Not really a suprise, especially as I watch videos from John Cadogan on his YT channel. Whilst most Aussies are commuter / shopper drivers like us, for longer trips, range anxiety and an even worse situation on the public charger provision front Down Under makes EVs a far less viable option.

Plus a LOT of them need and/or like Utes (which make up the majority of their sales), where being electric isn't really a viable option as of yet - the Tesla 'pickup truck' is still in development.

Like in the US, Aussies also are more practical and less fashion-conscious on cars than us Brits.

All - December sales figures - Will deBeast

I've had a Toyota on order since June, which should have made the December list. But now delayed - the latest date seems to be June.

I've had a Toyota on order since June, which should have made the December list. But now delayed - the latest date seems to be June.

Did it go down with that ship that caught fire?

Just out of interest what have you bought please?, you've probably already said but keep in mind i have the memory span of a goldfish.

All - December sales figures - John F

Just out of interest what have you bought please?, you've probably already said but keep in mind i have the memory span of a goldfish.

I'd like to say a word for the goldfish - not only have they got a memory but they can also be taught to drive!

www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/59967178

In the end, I bought an SUV because there is a limited and largely unsatisfactory choice of hatches and saloons. It seems the only way to get a decent interior and a bit of comfort is from a small selection of Mercs, BMWs and Audis. Other brands make 'premium' versions (Vignale etc) but they're pretty half hearted and they stick enormous wheels on them that make the whole thing bone- rattling.

Buying an SUV seemed to be the only real way to get decent ride and interior. It be ones self-perpetuating; the manufacturers focus on these models because they sell the best and buyers choose them because the manufacturers have actually put some effort in.

At some point, an 'innovation' will be along that will disrupt the order again despite being blindingly.obvious in retrospect. Like Nissan with the Qashqai (as above, it's basically a Talbot Rancho), Mazda with the MX5 (cheap to build, retails for more than a hatch) or even whoever came up with the hatchback.

"Talbot Rancho"

Now that brings back childhood memories. I suppose the modern equivalent is possibly the Dacia Jogger.

"Talbot Rancho"

Now that brings back childhood memories. I suppose the modern equivalent is possibly the Dacia Jogger.

Originally the Matra-Simca Rancho, it was the first crossover - based on the mundane FWD Simca 1100.

The first crossovers were the 1977 Matra Rancho and 1994 Subaru Outback

So a Humber Super Snipe staff car of circa 1940 wouldn't qualify as a crossover then? ;-)

In reference to the Juke, I didn't actually say it was the first. With the thread being about sales figures, I was thinking more about cars which, thanks to huge sales success, turned the genre from very much a niche product to the all consuming sales juggernaut that it has since become.

But the terms crossover and SUV (these days anyway) pretty much mean the same thing. And at the same time neither really mean anything, at least nothing that limits them to the type of vehicle they are generally applied to.

Crossover surely just means a car which blends aspects of one type of car with another?. In which case (as well as the aforementioned WW2 Humber) the term could also be applied to cars like the Chevrolet El Camino, especially those from the mid 60's on. The term SUV is equally vague, but could also be applied to the above given (as a pickup truck) they have the 'U' covered, and with a powerful V8 engine, the 'S' too!.

But back to the Rancho and Outback, with 17 years between them, surely they can't both be the first crossover's?. While I would agree that the Rancho definitely fits with what is considered a crossover these days (in so far as it looks like it can go off road, but in reality it can't, at least not very far), I'm not convinced on that term for the Outback. With a proper 4wd system, high and low ratio transmission, it can go pretty much as far off road as its ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles will allow. But if we are allowing the Outback as a crossover, it would only be fair to also include the (1979 on) Subaru Leone/1600/1800, which had a primitive system to raise the ground clearance using a spanner!. But we'd also need to allow the AMC Eagle (1979), the original Dacia Duster (1980), original Panda 4x4 (1983), and the MK 2 Golf County (1990) to name but a few which came along, pre-Outback.

But regardless of what the first crossover was, it doesn't change the point that crossovers are not necessarily any more practical than an equivalent sized hatchback or estate. And in fact your mentioning the Rancho and Outback highlights this. The Rancho may well have had a huge volume of load space courtesy of the high roof and boxy shape, but as it was only ever offered as a 3 door, it wasn't actually that practical. And the Outback is just a Legacy estate with a little extra ground clearance and some plastic cladding. So unless you needed the extra ground clearance, it was no more practical.

In the end, I bought an SUV because there is a limited and largely unsatisfactory choice of hatches and saloons. It seems the only way to get a decent interior and a bit of comfort is from a small selection of Mercs, BMWs and Audis. Other brands make 'premium' versions (Vignale etc) but they're pretty half hearted and they stick enormous wheels on them that make the whole thing bone- rattling.

It comes down to personal choice and circumstance. I like big estates because they can carry lots of stuff with good running costs, but unless you want German, there is a dwindling number of good, Japanese petrol examples. Mondeo has been axed, and I can't see the Insignia hanging on for much longer.

It comes down to personal choice and circumstance. I like big estates because they can carry lots of stuff with good running costs, but unless you want German, there is a dwindling number of good, Japanese petrol examples. Mondeo has been axed, and I can't see the Insignia hanging on for much longer.

I thought that the Insigia has already gone - according to Autocar, Vauxhall won't be selling an ICE version any more but it may return in 2026, but as an EV only...

The Mazda6 has I think also just gone out of production, with models still being sold in the UK as stocks dwindle, but I doubt if they sell many, despite it's stylish looks (best in the Mazda range) and excellent drive. A new model is supposedly imminent, but like with many other makes, I'd be we won't get it due to low historical sales over the last 10 years.

The Toyota Avensis and Camry have also recently departed, at least in the UK (I'd bet that many of this type of car are still sold in North America), so it looks like it's VAG, German or the few luxury brands of the Orientals that still sell in the UK (mainly Lexus), and I'd bet many of them will be EV-only options sooner rather than later.

The days of the big ICE barge is over. What a shame.

All - December sales figures - Heidfirst

The Mazda6 has I think also just gone out of production, with models still being sold in the UK as stocks dwindle, but I doubt if they sell many, despite it's stylish looks (best in the Mazda range) and excellent drive. A new model is supposedly imminent, but like with many other makes, I'd be we won't get it due to low historical sales over the last 10 years.

The Toyota Avensis and Camry have also recently departed, at least in the UK (I'd bet that many of this type of car are still sold in North America), so it looks like it's VAG, German or the few luxury brands of the Orientals that still sell in the UK (mainly Lexus), and I'd bet many of them will be EV-only options sooner rather than later.

~5,000 pa of all Mazda6 variants sold throughout Europe in 2021, 2022 looking on track for similar. carsalesbase.com/europe-mazda6/

Very, very few hatches/station wagons sold in the US these days. Whilst the likes of the Camry /Accord are hanging in there as saloons/sedans, sales are way down on what they would have been only a few years ago. Most of the US brands have already given up on sedans leaving them to Japanese, Koreans & at the luxury end, German brands.e.g. Ford dropped the Fusion/Mondeo. carsalesbase.com/us-midsized-cars-2022-q3/

It is mostly SUV/Crossover & of course, pickups in the USA (the 3 biggest sellers are not only all pickups but all large pickups).

~5,000 pa of all Mazda6 variants sold throughout Europe in 2021, 2022 looking on track for similar. carsalesbase.com/europe-mazda6/

Very, very few hatches/station wagons sold in the US these days. Whilst the likes of the Camry /Accord are hanging in there as saloons/sedans, sales are way down on what they would have been only a few years ago. Most of the US brands have already given up on sedans leaving them to Japanese, Koreans & at the luxury end, German brands.e.g. Ford dropped the Fusion/Mondeo. carsalesbase.com/us-midsized-cars-2022-q3/

It is mostly SUV/Crossover & of course, pickups in the USA (the 3 biggest sellers are not only all pickups but all large pickups).

The main difference is though that the North American market is 6x and more the size of ours and thus its (for the moment) enough to keep selling them, albeit less of them than before, and that (as you said), most Europeans will buy German makes if they want a large car.

All - December sales figures - Heidfirst

Mazda have dropped the 6 from the USA lineup & it isn't being replaced afaik.

What I said was at the luxury end, German. carsalesbase.com/us-upper-class-cars-2022-q3/

If you want to see the results for the large car segment in the USA carsalesbase.com/us-large-cars-2022-q3/

All - December sales figures - Will deBeast

Did it go down with that ship that caught fire?

No ships involved - it's a corolla estate, coming from Derby.

One benefit of the delay is that the MY23 has some significant upgrades from the MY22. I've gone for a 2.0 Hybrid Excel (the top spec).

It'll be replacing a Civic 1.8 estate.

No ships involved - it's a corolla estate, coming from Derby.

One benefit of the delay is that the MY23 has some significant upgrades from the MY22. I've gone for a 2.0 Hybrid Excel (the top spec).

It'll be replacing a Civic 1.8 estate.

Good choice, probably the only modern cars sold here we would consider, i pulled lots of cars out of Burnaston in my previous work, quality control is taken very seriously there.

All - December sales figures - maz64

Won't a lot of the Tesla sales be company cars?

When I was choosing my first ever company car in 2015, the 1.4 150ps A3 pretty much chose itself due to its mix of performance and low BIK tax. And coming from a 14 year old Focus estate, the fact it was a shiny new Audi certainly didn't put me off :)

But looking on comcar.co.uk/ now I see the cheapest A3 is £1532p/a (at 20%), which gets you the 1.0 110ps in lowest Technik trim with a 0-60 of 10.6s. However, for £246p/a, or more than 6 times less than the cost of the A3, you can have a Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD, 0-60 in 3.1s, and seats that make f*** noises youtu.be/inABTcyNLrc

I'm no longer a company car driver, but for those who are, I would have thought that a Tesla must look pretty tempting.

All - December sales figures - Random

The more EVs sold the more the NHS suffers.

Go on, I’ll bite. How?
All - December sales figures - movilogo

That might be because more people are rightly holding onto their smaller supermini and C-sector car

Yes, I'm holding on my hatchback because I can't justify spending ££££ getting an SUV which is not drastically superior to my current car.

I like big estates because they can carry lots of stuff with good running costs

But they are being phased out by manfacturers!

Again taking an example for Kia, they had 2 estates, Optima Sportwagon and Ceed Sportwagon. The Optima is no longer available. Ceed Sportwagon and Proceed are only available in manual mode! Perhaps Kia wants people to buy Niro and Sportage instead. The proof their strategy is working because Sportage is within top 10 most selling cars in UK.

All - December sales figures - Random
Go on, I’ll bite. How?

Less revenue coming in as the government loses out on fuel duty.

Also when people fill their car with diesel/petrol most just buy fuel, that's what I do.

Charging time is longer than filling a tank with fuel there people need to occupy time, invariably stuffing their face with food they sometimes won't need leading, potentially to more over weight people and diabetes, and the NHS suffers unnecessarily. Controversial view from me, that's life!

Fuel duty is about £26bn a year every year (notwithstanding lockdowns). It isn't going down in any noticeable way.

NHS budget is around £170bn a year.

Between the £350mn a week which that nice Mr Johnson said was going into the NHS once we had left the EU (£18bn) and the 5% VAT on electricity that these EVs are consuming, surely the NHS could have more funding even if fuel duty did decrease.

That £26bn will be recouped in other ways once EV ownership gets to a critical mass. We've already got VED or whatever it's called being applied from 2025. BIK will get less generous and I'm convinced some form of road pricing will be coming down the track (road?)

All - December sales figures - expat
Go on, I’ll bite. How?

Also when people fill their car with diesel/petrol most just buy fuel, that's what I do.

Charging time is longer than filling a tank with fuel there people need to occupy time, invariably stuffing their face with food they sometimes won't need leading, potentially to more over weight people and diabetes, and the NHS suffers unnecessarily. Controversial view from me, that's life!

Perhaps the hospitals may have fewer patients if a reduction in emissions leads to better health.

www.who.int/news-room/spotlight/how-air-pollution-...h

Go on, I’ll bite. How?

Perhaps the hospitals may have fewer patients if a reduction in emissions leads to better health.

Indeed.

But there are a couple of other area's where the, err, 'controversial' (ill informed?) view expressed does not really stack up.

First is that most people these days are able to and do occupy their time on their smart phone, which will also be available to them if they are sat in their EV waiting for it to charge.

Second, following on from the first, IMO the type of person who would automatically reach for an unhealthy snack while sat in their EV waiting for it to charge is the type of person who would also do that anywhere else, including home. But I don't believe the type of person who wouldn't do this at home will start chugging down sweet treats just because they are sat in their EV waiting for it to charge.

Third, AFAIK, the government taxes unhealthy snacks much more these days. So those who are sat in their EV eating one while waiting for it to charge, are actually contributing more in tax by doing so.

First is that most people these days are able to and do occupy their time on their smart phone, which will also be available to them if they are sat in their EV waiting for it to charge.

Which brings us on to the modern phenomenon, 'tech neck'. The forward head posture brought on by looking down at smartphones too much, and probably giving the therapy industries more work. There's always something :-)

All - December sales figures - sammy1

One months sales does not say a lot. The trend now according to some is that with money being tight people will swing more to smaller cars and that the days of your SUV are perhaps waning.

What is interesting is that both VW Group and Stellantis are growing more fearful of China and its cheaper manufacturing and see them as a real threat going forward. When you think that nearly all cars have a lot far eastern components one wonders if this is a wise thing going forward and perhaps the west should be less dependant.

Tesla are also worried about their market share in China and have slashed their prices in this market.

MINI are moving their electric car production to China, seems the wrong move to me, fine in a stable world but

MINI are moving their electric car production to China, seems the wrong move to me, fine in a stable world but

I'd give it another few years and wouldn't surprise me to see the MINI factory and land at Cowley become yet another housing estate shops and leisure facilities, it won't help an industrial site like that when Oxford instigate the private transport zoning of the city, making it harder than ever for the workforce who live in other quadrants to commute to work, did anyone think of people who actually work in the real world for a living who travel outside office/academic hours before coming up with that gem?

Similar i have long suspected in due course from the Tata takeover of Castle Bromwich and Solihul factories.

Which brings us on to the modern phenomenon, 'tech neck'. The forward head posture brought on by looking down at smartphones too much, and probably giving the therapy industries more work. There's always something :-)

To be honest, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more accidents caused by 'smart' phone users walking into lamp-posts and roads, never mind people using them whilst driving...

Maybe it's just not reported.

Go on, I’ll bite. How?

Only if the electricity that runs them is produced in a way that doesn't pollute as much. Rather pointless if the Drax power station imports old forest woor pelets from Canada and the net effect is worse pollution than using home-mined coal.

All EVs really do is shift pollution from inner cities to around power stations or the oceans (from pollution emitted by ships carrying fuel and goods) and other nations (where other raw materials come from).

Note also that the recent finding that particulate pollution from tyres is far worse than from ICE car exhausts, and that EVs are much heavier than ICE cars, and thus those emissions (and the environmental cost of producing tyres than can cope with the extra weight anyway) will be that much higher for EVs.

Note also that the recent finding that particulate pollution from tyres is far worse than from ICE car exhausts, and that EVs are much heavier than ICE cars, and thus those emissions (and the environmental cost of producing tyres than can cope with the extra weight anyway) will be that much higher for EVs

An EV is only much heavier than its ICE counterpart if it is a small car, but the prevailing trend is very much towards bigger cars. The bigger the car, the smaller percentage of extra weight an electric one carries over an ICE equivalent.

And in fact a Land Rover Discovery 3 (2004-2017) is heavier than pretty much any current EV.

And as as I am aware, the findings were surrounding the particulate pollution from tyres and brakes, rather than just tyres. So brake regen on EV's should balance things up in that department.

Note also that the recent finding that particulate pollution from tyres is far worse than from ICE car exhausts, and that EVs are much heavier than ICE cars, and thus those emissions (and the environmental cost of producing tyres than can cope with the extra weight anyway) will be that much higher for EVs

An EV is only much heavier than its ICE counterpart if it is a small car, but the prevailing trend is very much towards bigger cars. The bigger the car, the smaller percentage of extra weight an electric one carries over an ICE equivalent.

And in fact a Land Rover Discovery 3 (2004-2017) is heavier than pretty much any current EV.

You can only say that's reasonable if you compared apples with apples, i.e. an ICE Disco and and EV version.

It's been shown many times that there currently is a difference (though beginning to narrow) because of the EV's batteries, especially when they are much nearer to the range of the ICE equivalent in size / load capacity. Probably not much different when considering sports or high end luxury models.

And as as I am aware, the findings were surrounding the particulate pollution from tyres and brakes, rather than just tyres. So brake regen on EV's should balance things up in that department.

True, but as I recall (I think it was John Cadogan who brought it to my attention through a report he'd read), the issue with tyres was significantly higher, especially after improvements in ICE particulate filtering over the past 5 years or so.

Think of it rather like the brake dust issue (asbestos in olden days or not) on the London Tube as regards air quality, although the tyres issue may also affect the environment as per microplastics contamination as well (large particles). The heavier the car, the more tyre particles give off when used. The bigger the tyre, even more so.

There's a good reason why people working in the Tube tunnels there where proper high grade facemasks even when doing mundane stuff.

Here’s the RAC’s take on the tyre particulates issue - the report quoted above is largely down to some dodgy maths.
www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/do-elect.../
Tyre manufacturers are also reporting that tyre wear on EV’s, assuming like for like vehicles, conditions, driving styles, etc, is lower than that of ICE’s. Partly it’s because of tyres being specifically modified to suit the weight and acoustic characteristics of electric propulsion, and partly because of the much smoother and more linear power delivery.
All - December sales figures - daveyK_UK
From the sales manager at a Lookers branch this weekend told me there is huge demand for estate cars, especially petrol estate cars and they can’t get enough especially on the new side.

He said more customers are sick of SUVs and want estates.

5 month wait for a new Passat 1.5 petrol estates is a frustration, he said he could sell stacks of them if they didn’t have such a long lead time.
Compared to a T Cross or a Tiago which you can have within 2 months.
From the sales manager at a Lookers branch this weekend told me there is huge demand for estate cars, especially petrol estate cars and they can’t get enough especially on the new side. He said more customers are sick of SUVs and want estates. 5 month wait for a new Passat 1.5 petrol estates is a frustration, he said he could sell stacks of them if they didn’t have such a long lead time. Compared to a T Cross or a Tiago which you can have within 2 months.

Very interesting, thank you. It seems I'm not the only one who sees the value in a traditional estate.

All - December sales figures - sammy1

Re the RAC report. I wonder if the Environment secretary was briefed before making his statement or just came out with his own opinion that heavier EVs have greater tyre wear. How many drivers of EVs are making the most of regenerative braking or putting on the anchors at the last possible moment like ICE drivers in a hurry. A considerate driver in either vehicle could probably have equal tyre wear. If we are seriously concerned about nano particles from tyre wear we might as well all stop driving or go back to a wooden or stone wheel. As regards brake wear again any considerable driver can make their brake pads last 3 or 4 times the guy who drives on the brakes

All - December sales figures - pd

I do wonder who is mad enough to buy a Leaf with it's non temperature controlled battery and Betamax charging port unless it came with a whopping discount.

Here’s the RAC’s take on the tyre particulates issue - the report quoted above is largely down to some dodgy maths. www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric-cars/running/do-elect.../ Tyre manufacturers are also reporting that tyre wear on EV’s, assuming like for like vehicles, conditions, driving styles, etc, is lower than that of ICE’s. Partly it’s because of tyres being specifically modified to suit the weight and acoustic characteristics of electric propulsion, and partly because of the much smoother and more linear power delivery.

I wonder which vehiclke they compare - equivalent sized ICE cars, or equivalent performance, which would make a LOT of difference to the wear rate, because of how they are used. The other thing is, at least when comparing them with 'normal' ICE cars, is the actual size and composition of the tyres.

It's a pain that we get so many contradictory reports on environmental issues - given the prevalence of motor industy lying in order to bolster sales generally or (perhaps now, at the behest of certain activist groups and/or governments) to push those of certain types of vehicle.

Remember, we heard similar 'definitive evidence' of the environmental credntials of switching to diesel 20 years ago which turned out to be nowhere near true for a lot of people. Reports and 'scientific studies' can easily be manipulated to suit an agenda.

Remember, we heard similar 'definitive evidence' of the environmental credntials of switching to diesel 20 years ago which turned out to be nowhere near true for a lot of people. Reports and 'scientific studies' can easily be manipulated to suit an agenda.

The government was pushing it as they do produce less CO2 - but I'd not class something the government of the day said as 'definitive evidence'. What scientific studies were you referring to?

The government was pushing it as they do produce less CO2 - but I'd not class something the government of the day said as 'definitive evidence'. What scientific studies were you referring to?

Whatever they used at the time to justify the change in policy. Don't forget that there already were studies from the early 90s that stated the serious health dangers of particulates from vehicles, and especially diesel engines, and yet (despite all those 'experts' governments employ to 'advise' them) they still went ahead..

Note that this wasn't just UK policy, but EU policy as well - so (barring a few who knew what they were talking about) politicians of all stripes and many officials were to blame, as was the MSM who did very little investigating for years to pick up this issue.

Whatever they used at the time to justify the change in policy. Don't forget that there already were studies from the early 90s that stated the serious health dangers of particulates from vehicles, and especially diesel engines, and yet (despite all those 'experts' governments employ to 'advise' them) they still went ahead..

Note that this wasn't just UK policy, but EU policy as well - so (barring a few who knew what they were talking about) politicians of all stripes and many officials were to blame, as was the MSM who did very little investigating for years to pick up this issue.

So the definitive evidence for the change does not exist? It was governments/EU that brought in the push for diesel. I can't see whre scientific studies have been manipuated to prove the change to diesel should be done - just governemtns have rushed headlong into something without a full understanding of things.

So the definitive evidence for the change does not exist? It was governments/EU that brought in the push for diesel. I can't see whre scientific studies have been manipuated to prove the change to diesel should be done - just governemtns have rushed headlong into something without a full understanding of things.

I said they manipulated studies, similarly they used selective bits of reports. I'm not sure why you are nickpicking such a minor thing. I also suspect there were actual studies done to justify the policy change - given that's what politicians like - where the outcome is already decided upon.

I may not remember every single report done since 1995 or so, but I do recall it wasn't just political rhetoric - so I presume newspapers niavely took them at their word because some report was 'fabricated' to 'prove' they were right. It's not as though most politicians have the technical expertise to change such policies without something/one to 'back' up the policy change, is it?