What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Dashcams - mcb100
So, following on from being driven into yesterday, sitting waiting at a give way this morning a pedestrian runs along the pavement to my left and straight into the busy major road trying to catch a bus. Apart from seemingly setting an altitude record off the top of the windscreen of the car that hit her, she’s a bit battered and bruised but largely unscathed. Modern car design saved a lot of injuries.
It’s time to look at getting dash cams in our cars - if you have one, what is it and would you recommend it?
Any - Dashcams - badbusdriver

When the current shape Citroen C3 first came out in 2016, one of its USP's was that there was a dashcam built in to the interior mirror. This could be used as normal, but could also upload clips directly onto Facebook, YouTube etc. I thought then and still do that this was a great idea, no faffing about with wires, suction pads and whatever. I felt sure that other makes would jump on the bandwagon.

Apparently not though, I'm not aware of any other cars with this facility, even though, as most cars these days have camera's anyway, surely it would both make sense and be very easy to include?. Further more, l was on Citroen's website the other day, and it seems the dash cam is no longer fitted to the C3!

Any - Dashcams - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve seen some BMW models with factory fit dash cams . As for aftermarket devices, I can from experience, only recommend Nextbase .
Any - Dashcams - paul 1963

Nextbase for me, took around half hour to fit, they come with a excellent set of tools to prise trim away inorder to hide the wires. I'm with BBD, surprised there not a factory fit.

Any - Dashcams - Gibbo_Wirral

Nextbase or Vantrue. Both have great night vision qualities where you can actually read the reg plate of the car in front!

Any - Dashcams - focussed

I've got a Nextbase - when it's fitted either by you or a garage etc make sure that the supply used is ignition controlled if it's hard wired.

Mine is unfortunately hard wired to a permanent fused live via a switch under the dash to switch it off when parked at home.

If I forget to switch it off it will flatten the battery in 5 - 6 days to the point where the car won't start despite Nextbase tech blurb stating that it's power supply has low battery protection.

They provided me with a replacement power unit which is no different to the original supplied.

When the weather gets a bit warmer I shall rewire it to an ignition controlled fuse circuit.

Any - Dashcams - alan1302

Apparently not though, I'm not aware of any other cars with this facility, even though, as most cars these days have camera's anyway, surely it would both make sense and be very easy to include?. Further more, l was on Citroen's website the other day, and it seems the dash cam is no longer fitted to the C3!

Think some Tesla cars have them fitted

Any - Dashcams - Maxime.

WE have a Nexbase 312 in one car and 522gwifi in the other (download via the app) which has a rapid mount fix which kept falling off, but in the box there was a suction cap which is fine.

Any - Dashcams - Wee Willie Winkie

Think some Tesla cars have them fitted

Front, rear and side cameras, all recording to a USB stick.

Any - Dashcams - Mike H

Perhaps because they are not legal in all countries? I live in Austria and they are not allowed here.

Any - Dashcams - Heidfirst

I have had front & rear dashcams (Thinkware F800 Pro) for the last 5 years. Expensive at the time but they had the best reputation for parking mode (important for me in my street). Obviously not the latest model now but they are still working & still get regular updates.

Any - Dashcams - gordonbennet

Youtube video maker Techmoan was always a handy source, he tested dozens of the things, haven't a clue if he's still going.

Any - Dashcams - alan1302

Youtube video maker Techmoan was always a handy source, he tested dozens of the things, haven't a clue if he's still going.

He is still on there - although don't think he's done a dashcam video in a while.

Any - Dashcams - KBB

I have a Viofo A119 v3, which I have had for about a year and it seems to be performing well - I occasionally take the card out to check it is still recording properly.

I mainly chose it as it has a nice compact wedge size which is not readily visible from outside, therefore I don't feel the need to remove it when parked to avoid it being stolen by miscreants. It was also generally well reviewed in various places.

I avoided one with wifi functionality due to the potential of interference with all of the electronic gubbins in the rear view mirror console, but I agree in theory that functionality would be handy.

Any - Dashcams - gordonbennet

Oddly enough, we both witnessed an accident from 50 yards away and closing at a junction an hour or two ago, neither of us could agree on what happened, checked the Transcend camera footage which whilst clear due to other vehicles at the junction itself wasn't of any benefit, hence no point in offering either us or our footage as witnesses.

However the footage was very clear had our vehicle been involved in the incident.

Any - Dashcams - primus 1

There are a few cams out there but it depends on your budget, I used to have a nextbase front and rear cameras fitted by halfords I found the front camera got very hot, I mean VERY hot, a bit worrying but turning off the screen cured this, I now have a blackvue front and rear set up powered by an external battery which is hardwired via a permanent and ignition controlled fuses, which is better than the park mode supplied , it’s not cheap, but it works just fine and am pleased with it as it doesn’t have a screen and downloads directly to my phone, you can subscribe and pay a monthly fee to upload to the cloud so you can view your camera from anywhere but I don’t use this feature,