What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Martin Sorensen

Hi there,

We are considering updating our car situation, at present we have a 2005 Accord 2.4Aut and a 2002 Clio. Both work and pass inspection, but the ages are showing and one car would do.

We are considering something of a size in-between the two. Criteria:

- Space. I am 1.9m, my wife 1.77 and my son 1.95. We have to fit all 3, at least for an hour.

- hatchback or estate.

- Not too low. Clio is ok, Accord does not quite agree with my knees

- Automatic.

- comfort rather than sport. Rented a Corolla (or was it Auris?) which was too firm for my taste, otherwise fine.

We are in Portugal, so prices are different but models much the same. Also, looking at something 2-3 years old to let others take the first hit. I have never owned a new car, Accord was bought at just over 2 years old (and 40% off new price).

Edited by Martin Sorensen on 03/01/2023 at 21:41

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Adampr

I think I'd be looking for a Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4

Edited by Adampr on 03/01/2023 at 21:59

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Big John

I am a tall driver(6ft 4" / 1.93m) and have an even taller son (6ft 5"/ 1.96m). So fitting myself comfortably complete with my wife, son & luggage was interesting - my car of choice has been a Skoda Superb with its amazing rear legroom. It also has a bigger front doors compared to many cars putting the B pilar into a much better position for a tall driver.

I tried a Corolla a few months ago - to be honest I found it felt tight for space (re driver / rear passenger) but it wasn't the Touring model.

Now my son has flown the nest and I've retired I have been investigating downsizing to one smaller car that I'll still be comfortable driving over long trans Europe trips and my wife likes driving (she finds the Superb to be a bit big!). I test drove a Skoda Kamiq and was reasonably impressed driving it. It seemed surprisingly roomy and ride was good although compared to the Superb the boot seems small. Possibly a similar SUV might give you the extra height that helps re tall driver/passengers - and your knees?

Lots of test drives ahead me thinks?

Edited by Big John on 03/01/2023 at 22:38

Thanks (to both!).

I was considering something in the Focus/Octavia size, it must be possible spacewise. We managed to get the family of 4 (avr. height then 182) into a Fabia estate and it was OK. Think I will have a closer look at Hyundai Ioniq hybrid, inside seemed ok but I have no clue how it drives.

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - badbusdriver

The Hyundai Ioniq is a pretty low car, If your knees objected to an Accord, I can't imagine they'd like an Ioniq any better. Plus, your wife would probably have to go in the back rather than your son, the sloping coupe-like (though admittedly aerodynamic) roof eats into rear headroom.

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Engineer Andy

The Hyundai Ioniq is a pretty low car, If your knees objected to an Accord, I can't imagine they'd like an Ioniq any better. Plus, your wife would probably have to go in the back rather than your son, the sloping coupe-like (though admittedly aerodynamic) roof eats into rear headroom.

One of the other problems with many a modern family (Focus-sized) hatchback is that many now are lower than the previous generations of the model because the roofline is more sloped and lwoeer to presumably give better aerodynamic performance and thus mpg.

The Focus is one, the Mazda3 in particular is another, but many others definitely look more 'squat' than those designed 10-15 years ago. When I test drove a gen-3 Mazda3 (2014-19) it felt smaller inside than my gen-1 car, because it is 3cm lower. Not so bad for me at 5-10, but not so good for 6ft ers, especially in the back, particularly in the saloon ' fastback versions.

Many SUVs and especially crossovers may also not be that much better, because the higher overall height of the car is mainly from it being elevated at the bottom, which means they aren't as good handling (or rely heavily on stability control) and also not so good on mpg and in-use (wind) noise.

I might suggest the OP possibly looks at the converted van type cars, whilst they aren't the most aerodynamic or pretty, they may have extra headroom and better use of space (footprint) as well as others already suggested.

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Adampr

Good plan. Citroen Berlingo could be ideal.

Good call, the Berlingo or it's kissing cousins from Peugeot and Opel could be ideal. And auto versions of the current shape use a t/c box rather than the automated manual on the previous shape.

Thanks again.

It is something with the Accord in particular, even the Clio is OK in the entry height. And has sufficient headroom.

Family also tried a 2008 a few years ago, btw, and again we managed.

For a lot of models automatic is the restriction, unless it is electric or hybrid.

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Engineer Andy

Thanks again.

It is something with the Accord in particular, even the Clio is OK in the entry height. And has sufficient headroom.

For a lot of models automatic is the restriction, unless it is electric or hybrid.

Ironically, my old mid 90s Nissan Micra had more headroom than my current (well, now 17 years old) Mazda3 saloon, which shows how later versions of that car and others have regressed in this regard.

Cars (aside from a few) were often far more practical 10-25 years ago. The ironic thing is I really don't like the styling of the majority of modern cars with all their fiddly lines, fake air intakes, ugly front grilles and pimp-my-ride wheels and tyres.

Suggestions for car - tall(ish) driver - Big John

We are in Portugal, so prices are different but models much the same. Also, looking at something 2-3 years old to let others take the first hit. I have never owned a new car, Accord was bought at just over 2 years old (and 40% off new price).

I don't know what used prices are like in Portugal at the moment but currently in the UK nearly new prices don't offer much of a saving on new because of various recent factors such as Covid shutdowns, chip shortages etc. Actually in some cases the used price is more than the new - supply , demand and availability - all bonkers. Over here it's not a great time to buy.

I am a fan of the Skoda Octavia but I thought that might be as low as the Accord you are having knee problems with. That's why I mention the "potentially" higher to get in SUV with extra headroom as well front and rear.

Edited by Big John on 04/01/2023 at 14:34

The 2008 shares a lot of mechanical parts (maybe even the same platform) to the aforementioned Berlingo (and friends). Assuming we'd be talking about a late previous shape version rather than the current (2020 on) version, a forum member has had one (1.2 petrol turbo auto) for the last few years and seems happy with it. I have read that the rear seat isn't very comfortable on them, but if already tried one and were happy with it, no probs.