What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - Theophilus

"The city of Lille in northern France has voted in favour of an ‘écobonus’ incentive aimed at encouraging drivers to avoid certain roads at rush hour.

Drivers will be able to earn up to €80 a month through a ‘péage positif’ if they help to reduce the bottlenecks on the A1 and A23.

Drivers will be eligible for the payment if they agree not to drive alone but instead car sharing at peak times on those roads.

Each solo journey avoided will result in a €2 payment.

Automatic number plate recognition will be used on the affected roads to verify people’s claims"

Perhaps blow-up dolls will begin to occupy the passenger seats :-)

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - Big John

Perhaps blow-up dolls will begin to occupy the passenger seats :-)

Hmm, brings back to mind a fabulous Only Fools and Horses episode !

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - sammy1

I think the answer to all the road pricing systems and emission zones is revolving number plates like 007. I wonder how many more drivers will be going around on cloned plates, seems very difficult to police if a real price squeeze is put on motorists

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - Theophilus

I think the answer to all the road pricing systems and emission zones is revolving number plates like 007. I wonder how many more drivers will be going around on cloned plates, seems very difficult to police if a real price squeeze is put on motorists

But the point is that this scheme proposes to identify vehicles in order to make payments TO the motorist for travelling with a passenger.

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - sammy1

Yes but who is paying for this and all the admin people without cars? Might as well have free buses or may be Lille already as them

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - Terry W

An interesting take on road pricing to give a rebate for not using - the norm is to charge for using.

However, who is eligible for the rebate - just those with a passenger? It may even encourage those who usually car share to make a small diversion - mway tolls permitting.

Edited by Terry W on 02/01/2023 at 17:58

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - veryoldbear

Any road pricing scheme that uses a rebate if you have a passenger is much more viable in France. They already do quite a bit of car sharing ("covoiturage") because they tend to have standard and fairly rigid working hours.

Any - Yet another road pricing scheme announced - Engineer Andy

An interesting take on road pricing to give a rebate for not using - the norm is to charge for using.

However, who is eligible for the rebate - just those with a passenger? It may even encourage those who usually car share to make a small diversion - mway tolls permitting.

Or locals near to the toll booths doing a roaring trade in short trips as passengers in return for a cut...or 'ladies of the night' changing their pick-up points to score more cash via a discount for punters? The prospective rubber dinghy lot might go in for some extra pocket money before they departe for LeRosbifland?

I wonder if dogs and cats also qualify as 'passengers'?