What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Crickleymal

In my quest to find a replacement for my Sorento (2006) one of the vehicles that caught my eye was this

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209300279781?a...e

I'm after a reasonable amount of room (sufficient for a rotorvator for instance) and also ULEZ compliance as we do visit Bristol and Bath. Is the 1.8 petrol engine reliable?

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Adampr

I'm quite tempted by that myself! Everyone that has Yetis loves them, and that one must be pretty quick too.

As far as I know, there was an issue with cam chain tensioners on the early 1.8 TSIs, so maybe worth checking if that's been done or budgeting for it.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - badbusdriver

I also like the Yeti, but the early TSI engines are not considered that reliable.

A quick internet search on the 1.8TSI engine (EA888, which also covers the 2.0) throws up these as common problems:

1. Ignition Coil Failure
  2. Excessive Oil Consumption
  3. Thermostat Housing Leak
  4. Water Pump Failure
  5. Carbon Buildup in the Intake Valves
  6. Stretched Out Timing Chain
  7. Weak PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve

It also seems quite thirsty (if that matters) with stated MPG nearly 10mpg off the (150bhp) 1.4TSI which replaced it.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/12/2022 at 15:29

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Crickleymal

Thanks. Fuel economy isn't my first priority as the car I've got now averages 28 mpg diesel. All the 1.4s that are in my budget seem as slow as a snail.

Edit.

My mistake It's mostly 1.2s in my budget but there is a 1.4 120bhp which seems reasonably quick.

Edited by Crickleymal on 31/12/2022 at 17:06

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Big John

I really like the Yeti - generally a fab car although the "default" boot is on the small side especially if fitted with a spare wheel. To be honest I wish I'd bought one of the last 1.2tsi versions new latterly fitted with the EA211 engine.

The 1.8tsi version is quite lively in this car but some (not all) can be troublesome. It can have cam chain / tensioner issues especially if it's had extended / long life servicing. The 1.8 is also prone to the gumming up of piston rings causing excessive oil consumption although to be honest I have a friend that owns one and it's fine. Check for any discolouring / oil deposits near the exhaust pipe.

Very important is to check service record - especially relating to the Haldex 4x4 which needs an oil/filter change at 40k miles - Obviously only 4x4 versions - most 1.8s are.

Edited by Big John on 31/12/2022 at 17:36

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - ExA35Owner

Loved ours - 4yr lease as work car. Carried everything we wanted, great driving position, no faults or failures at all. Reasonably lively (it's so rare to need rapid acceleration these days as overtaking opportunities are few). Comfortable, quiet. We really miss it (have traded down a size or two as circumstances have changed).

Some slight use made of the 4x4 capability on snowy hills - with some Discoveries not succeeding!

Had good customer service when it went in for servicing, but that was so rare that I don't think I can give a helpful opinion - used two different agents.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - daveyK_UK
The engines are problematic, maybe buy one on the Skoda used scheme to get a good 1 year warranty and see if you can extend the warranty.
Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - KB.

Have owned a 1.2 petrol Tsi from new (in 2011).

Love it.

If they still made them I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

I wasn't aware that my enginewas considered troublesome. From new it's had a water pump (and they changed the rubber belt at the same timejust as a matter of common sense). It's still on the original brake pads.

I also have the DSG ... the one that apparently goes wrong at the drop of a hat. Strangely it hasn't exploded (but I will concede it had a clutch pack and a change of transmission oil under warranty just a year or two in from new).

The Yeti forum is helpful but from what I gather they offer caution regarding the 1.8 petrol.

I also see quite a lot of reference to the Haldex 4 wheel drive malarkey and wouldn't rush to have one of those unless necessary.

Edited by KB. on 05/01/2023 at 17:51

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Ian_SW

I had the same engine in my similarly aged Octavia (owned from new). By the time I got rid of it at about 120k miles last year, the oil consumption was close to that of a two stroke (1 litre of oil to 2 tanks of petrol!!), but it still ran OK. The timing chain rattled like a chainsaw too on cold starts. Annoying really, because the rest of the car was really solid and almost nothing else went wrong in the 10 years I had it.

Given that it wasn't MOTd when due a few days ago, I suspect it may not have lasted much longer after I moved it on.

They won't all be like that, but it's certainly a risk with that engine. The rattly timing chain noise is really obvious so easy enough to check for, but harder to tell for the oil consumption. Mine produced no visible smoke, other when pushed really hard (foot on the floor) above about 4500rpm the first couple of times after being driven around more normally for a couple of days. Other tell tale signs are a sooty exhaust tip and greasy mark on the bumper near the exhaust.

I might take the risk if this was a £500 car and there wasn't any visible signs of oilmconsumption issues, but wouldn't risk £5000 on it. The 2 litre diesel is probably the safest bet if you want a Yeti - the 1.4 and 1.2 petrols of that era also had issues with the timing chain, though not the oil consumption problem which was limited to the 1.8 and 2.0.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - badbusdriver

Have owned a 1.2 petrol Tsi from new (in 2011).

Love it.

If they still made them I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

I wasn't aware that my enginewas considered troublesome. From new it's had a water pump (and they changed the rubber belt at the same timejust as a matter of common sense). It's still on the original brake pads.

I also have the DSG ... the one that apparently goes wrong at the drop of a hat. Strangely it hasn't exploded (but I will concede it had a clutch pack and a change of transmission oil under warranty just a year or two in from new).

The Yeti forum is helpful but from what I gather they offer caution regarding the 1.8 petrol.

I also see quite a lot of reference to the Haldex 4 wheel drive malarkey and wouldn't rush to have one of those unless necessary.

The early chain drive TSI's (and I believe this would cover early 1.2's) do have known problems re the chain stretching. Subsequent belt drive TSI's are apparently fine (ignoring the 1.5's kangarooing issues).

The warnings about DSG's usually have the caveat that reliability is dependent to a large degree on how it is driven. So buying one second hand is not a good idea because (unless it is a car who's owner from you is known to you) there is no way to know how it has been driven.

As you have owned yours from new and (presumably) drive it with a degree of care and mechanical sympathy, it isn't really that strange or surprising to learn it hasn't caused you too many problems (averaged over 11+ years).

Skoda Yeti - Skoda Yeti opinions - Big John

The early chain drive TSI's (and I believe this would cover early 1.2's) do have known problems re the chain stretching. Subsequent belt drive TSI's are apparently fine (ignoring the 1.5's kangarooing issues).

The early 1.2tsi EA111 was a bit of an oddball as it was a 8 valve engine whereas the 1.4 tsi EA111 was a 16 valve engine. All versions of the EA111 were timing chain and early versions could have issues but it was the luck of the draw re the quality of the chain. Low miles oil change intervals critical with this engine. The latest revisions were much better. My 1.416v 2014 EA111(Skoda Superb) still sounds perfect at about 109k miles - negligible oil burnt between services. It seems to average mid 40's mpg. If you lift the bonnet of a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol the EA111 has an oil filter top left above the alternator. In the Yeti the 1.2tsi EA111 typically was 104/105ps

The impressive later 1.2tsi & 1.4tsi EA211 engines were all 16 valve and have a cambelt. The water pump (plastic) is at the opposite end of the engine compared to the cambelt. Generally a very good engine and it warms up quicker than its predecessor. My son has the 1.2tsi EA211 in an Octavia mkIII and thus far it's been impressive. 50 plus mpg easily achievable on a run. The EA211 is a totally different engine - oil filer at low level and turbo etc at the rear / bulkhead side of the engine. In a Yeti the 1.2tsi EA211 typically was 109/1110 ps.

Edited by Big John on 05/01/2023 at 20:45