What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
RAC have stolen my car! - jeremy young

Hi all

Please excuse the 'click bait' subject headline, but in my mind its true!

I cant believe I'm writing this as it seems rediculous to me. However, our VW broke down at 09.30 on Friday the 9th of December. It took until 17.45 that day before it was collected by Westbourne Motors on behalf of the RAC. because it was collected so late it was too late to take it to the VW main dealer in Maidenhead who supplied and servie the vehicle, so the car was taken to a compound with the promise it would be delivered on Monday 12th. Its now 10 days later and despite daily phonecalls and daily promisies on the part of the RAC have still not delivered our car to the VW dealer.

I'm at my witts end as as to what our options are? Do I report the car stolen as they will not return it? Anyone have any ideas of my options going forward......

Edited by jeremy young on 22/12/2022 at 17:17

RAC have stolen my car! - mcb100
Have you tried social media to get a response? A tweet on Twitter @ing the RAC will be seen by a lot of people.
I’d also be trying to find as many of these people via whichever platform is available and creating as much of a fuss as I could.
www.raccorporate.co.uk/about-us/directors

Edited by mcb100 on 22/12/2022 at 18:58

RAC have stolen my car! - Adampr

Do you have legal cover on your car insurance? Might be worth getting them involved.

Given the minimal effort involved, I would probably report it stolen via a police webform to generate a crime number and pass it on to the RAC and Westbourne.

You could also get a price for a hire car and ask the RAC to agree to pay it.

As said, Twitter is a good place to start making a fuss. If you contact them any more, do so by email. Your first email should set out a timeline of what's happened and when and who you've called.

All of this advice is, of course, ridiculous but so is taking someone's car and leaving it in the compound. It's almost certainly just an admin thing, but sometimes you just have to be an i**** to get things done...

RAC have stolen my car! - Xileno

I strongly recommend that you do not report this to the Police as stolen. Frustrating and ridiculous your situation is, there is no real possibility that the car has been stolen and there is no intent, there has just been a colossal breakdown in admin and communications somewhere. Making a false report could lead to a fine or worse.

RAC have stolen my car! - catsdad
There is a good maxim to bear in mind - keep it simple.
At the moment you are dealing with one party, the RAC. In practice you may also need to deal with the pickup company but unless you signed another contract with them you should maintain the position that they are the RAC's agent, not yours. Keep the pressure on the RAC.

Like Xileno I would not involve the police.. They would probably not get involved in a civil matter like this. If they did take it on as stolen then your insurer needs to be involved too. The car would then be unusable on the public road until the stolen marker is removed. On the car's return the insurer might even find the insurers regard it as stolen recovered and demand its inspected before being returned to the road. The police would also probably need statements at both ends of their involvement. It may not be as bad as this but it's not going to simplify matters to add two more parties.

Good luck in sorting it out.
RAC have stolen my car! - Adampr

This (and Xileno's) is good advice. I have changed my opinion. Don't bother with the police.

If you live somewhere relatively sleepy, you could speak to your local paper; they love this sort of thing.

RAC have stolen my car! - Chris M

Do you know if the main dealer in Maidenhead are expecting the car? Could they have told Westbourne not to deliver it as they haven't the space?

RAC have stolen my car! - FoxyJukebox
Very possible or maybe they are ultra busy and it’s on a job sheet to be done after everything else has been cleared from their workshops. Example-VW like you to book routine services/MoTs at least a month up front?
RAC have stolen my car! - Theophilus

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen

RAC have stolen my car! - edlithgow

When I contacted the cops about a missing vehicle, Rare as hens teeth Honda Acty Camper van I'd left in the care of a colleage who then passed it on to someone else, apparently in an episode of ...er...drunken generosity, though at that point he was saying it had been towed) they took the position that, since I had given them custody, it was a civil matter.

The situation here seems similar, though it doesn't apparently involve people from Essex, and is more likely to be satisfactorily resolved eventually

RAC have stolen my car! - skidpan

Example-VW like you to book routine services/MoTs at least a month up front?

Done that with all brands of cars we have owned for many years, you get the work done when you want and the MOT does not expire.

Its called planning ahead.

Those car brands include VW, Ford, Mini, BMW, Kia, Nissan, Seat, Skoda

Example-VW like you to book routine services/MoTs at least a month up front?

Done that with all brands of cars we have owned for many years, you get the work done when you want and the MOT does not expire.

Its called planning ahead.

Those car brands include VW, Ford, Mini, BMW, Kia, Nissan, Seat, Skoda

I always renewed my road tax just before my MOT expired, so I could effectively get 2 years use out of an MOT certificate. They didn't much like it in the PO Office.

"This MOT is just about to expire"

"Yes I know, That's why I'm renewing the tax disk now, while ithe MOT s still valid. Whats your point?".

I suppose I might have called that planning ahead as well, though perhaps there are other terms for it.

Worked with anycar brand.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/12/2022 at 15:37

RAC have stolen my car! - Simon

Various things could have happened here:

1, The RAC might not have given Westbourne Motors the 'job' to redeliver your car. Just because they picked it up and stored it doesn't automatically mean that they are sent the new task by the RAC for the onward tow.

2, Have the garage in Maidenhead refused to accept the car? A proportion of garages and bodyshops are refusing to take in vehicles that don't have a prior booking as they don't have the time or space to deal with them or store them. There is the possibility that your car has been taken to the garage, refused and returned back into storage.

3, Maybe Westbourne Motors just haven't had the time to redeliver your car. Roadside breakdowns tend to take priority and there is not an infinite supply of recovery trucks or time so sometimes you can fall down the queue. The RAC could themselves collect the car or get another contractor in, but if Westbourne are busy, so is everyone else.

You need to speak to the RAC and establish exactly what the circumstances are with your vehicle.

I always renewed my road tax just before my MOT expired, so I could effectively get 2 years use out of an MOT certificate.

An MOT is valid for 12 months, end of story. The expiry date is either 12 months after the test or 12 months after the expiry of the previous certificate whichever is later.

If you try to get 2 years out of an MOT you will be driving illegally, get the car impounded when you are caught and also get points and a fine. Should you be involved in an accident its highly likely your insurer will refuse to repair your car.

Giving advice like this is totally out of order.

RAC have stolen my car! - bathtub tom

The penalty for lack of MOT is just a fine, you don't get points. I thought the fallacy that a lack of MOT could render your insurance invalid was thoroughly debunked.

RAC have stolen my car! - Bromptonaut

An MOT is valid for 12 months, end of story. The expiry date is either 12 months after the test or 12 months after the expiry of the previous certificate whichever is later.

If you try to get 2 years out of an MOT you will be driving illegally, get the car impounded when you are caught and also get points and a fine. Should you be involved in an accident its highly likely your insurer will refuse to repair your car.

I read the point as being that the tax was sorted pre MoT so that there was not an issue with an untaxed car in the event of MoT failure.

I always renewed my road tax just before my MOT expired, so I could effectively get 2 years use out of an MOT certificate.

None of my anecdotal accounts (especially of arguably illegal dodges) should be interpreted as "advice" unless I say so, in which case it is still clearly up to the reader to accept or reject them as they see fit, which I believe are forum SOP's.

This was in lower surveillance pre-computer pre-OCR days. Doubt it would be a workable work-around now.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/12/2022 at 14:59

This was in lower surveillance pre-computer pre-OCR days. Doubt it would be a workable work-around now.

So you admit driving without an MOT.

RAC have stolen my car! - mcb100
It was a fairly pointless anecdote, but simply a case of using the same MOT certificate twice - once when freshly issued and once just before it expired.
Two years use of an MOT certificate, not a two year MOT.
RAC have stolen my car! - Crickleymal

No he didn't. All he said was he could get the car taxed twice on one MOT certificate.

It's about time we let this go.

RAC have stolen my car! - John F

I always renewed my road tax just before my MOT expired, so I could effectively get 2 years use out of an MOT certificate. They didn't much like it in the PO Office.

I suppose I might have called that planning ahead as well, though perhaps there are other terms for it.

That would be useful homework for a school citizenship class - think of as many one or two word terms as possible. Here's two for starters.....cheating.....illegal behaviour.....

RAC have stolen my car! - Andrew-T

<< That would be useful homework for a school citizenship class - think of as many one or two word terms as possible. Here's two for starters.....cheating.....illegal behaviour... >>

I don't see any cheating here. An MoT certificate lasts for (about) 12 months, as does VED if you pay 12 months up front. It doesn't have to be the same 12 months. If you buy privately a car with a running MoT, you can retax it for 12 months with several still left on the MoT. Where's the cheating ?

RAC have stolen my car! - RT

<< That would be useful homework for a school citizenship class - think of as many one or two word terms as possible. Here's two for starters.....cheating.....illegal behaviour... >>

I don't see any cheating here. An MoT certificate lasts for (about) 12 months, as does VED if you pay 12 months up front. It doesn't have to be the same 12 months. If you buy privately a car with a running MoT, you can retax it for 12 months with several still left on the MoT. Where's the cheating ?

The "cheating" relates to the poster claiming to get 2 years out of an MoT

The "cheating" relates to the poster claiming to get 2 years out of an MoT

Cheating and illegal behaviour.

I agree that you could tax the car twice on one MOT (possibly 3 if you do it every 6 months) but you cannot get 2 years out of an MOT that is only valid for 12 months.

As for no MOT not invalidating your insurance read this:

www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/ins.../

RAC have stolen my car! - badbusdriver

Doesn't seem to me that any advice being given.

That exactly; it was an anecdote.

Does that matter. The poster says he can get 2 years form an MOT. It may be legal in taiwan but its not her so its bad advice.

Does that matter. The poster says he can get 2 years form an MOT. It may be legal in taiwan but its not her so its bad advice.

Aside from the possibility of misunderstanding what was written an anecdote is about how he was treated in the Post Office is not advice.

I think this side discussion has run its course, can we get back to helping the OP with their problem please, although I'm not sure there's much more to add. There's been some good advice that the OP needs to follow through, hopefully they will come back and update us when they know what's happened.

In the meantime it's Boxing Day so spend time with friends and family - that's what I'm doing imminently.

RAC have stolen my car! - badbusdriver

I'm not sure he is saying that. The way it has been written may be a little ambiguous, but I read it as him being able to tax the car for two years using the same MOT (i.e, getting two years use from it). That isn't the same as saying he drove the car for two years on one MOT.

Even if he was, he still is clearly not advising anyone else to do the same, therefore it is clearly not advice being given.

I'm also not convinced this is something which refers to Taiwan, partly due to the past tense wording, but also due to a post in technical referring to his 6 monthly inspection (in Taiwan) being overdue.

"It's about time we let this go."

I couldn't agree more. None of this is relevant to the OP's problem and unlikely to be of interest.

I will email the OP and if/when they are ready to provide us with an update on what happened to their car, I will either unlock the thread or post their reply myself.

Mod