What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
SUVs - height "advantage" - Bilboman

SUV are often claimed to provide two key advantages over lesser (priced) vehicles. First comes the "safe and commanding feel behind the wheel", claimed by this very website (www.honestjohn.co.uk/guides/best-suv). I have yet to see any empirical evidence of such a claim - a driver's gut feeling may say one thing but many reports say otherwise (e.g. tiny.cc/0s62vz ).
Alleged "safety" considerations aside, and without wishing to dispute the undoubted accessibility considerations of less able-bodied folk and those ferrying passengers in child seats, I am curious about the actual height "advantage". Exactly how many car lengths of visibility advantage is gained by driving a taller variant of a typical family hatchback? If the proliferation of similar vehicles is factored in, is there any advantage at all? Just wondering...

SUVs - height "advantage" - RJY

"Exactly how many car lengths of visibility advantage is gained by driving a taller variant of a typical family hatchback?"

You can better see over other vehicles. That's good.

SUVs - height "advantage" - Engineer Andy

"Exactly how many car lengths of visibility advantage is gained by driving a taller variant of a typical family hatchback?"

You can better see over other vehicles. That's good.

Perhaps we should all buy monster trucks then? The downsides of SUVs are:

They don't handle as well as comparable hatchbacks, estates and saloons because their centre of gravity is higher. Many will need the assistance of extra systems or where they kick in far more often to offset that to a degree. They are also more sensitive to wind buffeting as they are more high sided.

They are less aerodynamic and heavier, and thus have lower mpgs and are not as quick for the same engine size and useful interior space.

They cost more to buy (often 10-15% more than the non-SUV equivalent) because of the extra size and safety / handling systems, and will likely cost more to insure.

Unfortunately, most SUVs sold have no offroad ability, so the extra ground clearance they may have isn't really used, especially when most will also come equipped with low profile tyres.

Some may look nice, and some (like the Mazda CX-30) can be useful where the car they are derived off (Mazda3) has flaws in terms of practicality (hatch version has a 360L boot vs 430L in the CX-30, Fastback has a bigger 450L boot but a small opening compared to the hatch on the CX-30).

Sure, the extra height can be useful to see ahead, but as others have said, if everyone had one, that would (and is) disappear. I actually preferred the seating position of the non SUV car to the more upright one of the SUV (I tested a gen-3 Mazda3 vs a CX-3) - the better handling of the lower-slung car made the seated experience more relaxing as you don't get 'thrown around' as much when cornering at reasonable speeds. Fine otherwise.

SUVs - height "advantage" - RT

On congested roads it's easier for SUV drivers to see several vehicles in front, enabling better anticipation of queues suddenly stopping - of course if everyone drove an SUV that advantage would disappear.

SUVs - height "advantage" - Miniman777

More anti-SUV thinking.

While it has better visibility allowing improved awareness of what may be going on ahead, another reason I and several friends like SUVs or Crossovers is they are fare easier to get in and out.

No pushing your body weight from a low position putting more pressure in the knee joints.Leg out, on the ground off you go.

Contrary to Sammy1's view, my wife is 5ft 4in, and has no problem getting in my SUV, neither does a 6ft5in male colleague - who also has an SUV type car.

It's what people prefer, and their popularity cant be denied.

SUVs - height "advantage" - badbusdriver

Is it possible to provide 'empirical evidence' of a feeling?. Surely all you can get is opinion?.

That people in general prefer them is obvious because of how many SUV's there are on the road. Of course you could debate how many people actually do prefer the higher position for whatever reason rather then simply jumping on the bandwagon (all my neighbours/family/work colleagues, etc, have one, therefore I must have one too).

I do prefer a higher seating position, but this has nothing to do with feeling safer or being able to see more. I just find it more comfortable.

When I first started cleaning windows I had an Iveco Daily, and that towered over most SUV's. Great thing to drive very comfortable and refined (compared to the two vans I've had since, especially the current one)

But back when I drove buses, I used to ponder what it would be like to drive a double decker from upstairs..............

Now that definitely would give an advantage in terms of view!

SUVs - height "advantage" - corax
But back when I drove buses, I used to ponder what it would be like to drive a double decker from upstairs..............

Now that definitely would give an advantage in terms of view!

When I was a kid I always wanted to be at upstairs and at the front. I used to hold the dash mounted mirror and pretend to drive. Sometimes I'd look down it to see the disgruntled drivers eyes looking up at me :-)

I liked the sound of the engines and tranmission whine too.

SUVs - height "advantage" - sammy1

I frequently get a lift in an X3 and a Tiguan. I do not find them particularly easy to get in or out of them. I am 6ft and fit. My wife is 5ft 3 and also finds them difficult. I like the elevated height and ride of both but would not buy a SUV because of the brick shape and MPG penalty

SUVs - height "advantage" - Ethan Edwards

Wait till you get a bit older with an arthritic hip. Taller SUV is just easier then.

SUVs - height "advantage" - gordonbennet

One useful advantage is the slightly higher eyeline means you get marginally less glare from the stupidly bright lights now so popular.

My ex was always nervous on the open road of tailgaters looming large in the mirror intimidating her, after we had parted the ways we had reason to make a long journey together (we're on reasonable terms), we travelled in my Landcruiser, after a while she commented on how much safer it seemed not only being in something more solid but the raised back end disguised the bonnet lines of all but the biggest vehicles, she soon bought a medium sized 4x4 for herself and still has a decent sized one to this day.

Another advantage is if you buy van or 4x4 based higher vehicles they are usually tougher so don't fall apart on our third world roads, often simpler so more reliable to boot and usually fitted with door mirrors a lot more useful than the fashionable but otherwise useless things so many cars have.

SUVs - height "advantage" - Andrew-T

But back when I drove buses, I used to ponder what it would be like to drive a double decker from upstairs.............. Now that definitely would give an advantage in terms of view!

Like Mr.Bean in/on a Mini, you mean ?

SUVs - height "advantage" - Ian_SW

But back when I drove buses, I used to ponder what it would be like to drive a double decker from upstairs.............. Now that definitely would give an advantage in terms of view!

The view into the distance is better, but worse immediately around the vehicle, particularly the big blind spot in front - which is a problem on larger goods vehicles where a complete car can disappear in front (albeit not as bad on ours as the American ones with a long bonnet!).

Most coaches, and some commercial vehicles specifically designed for use in urban areas like bin lorries sit the driver is as low as possible to avoid this.

The same problem occurs, albeit on a smaller scale with everyone driving around in SUVs. A typical small school age child, standing immediately in front of a normal car such as a Fiesta has a good chance of being visible to the driver. In front of an X5, Range Rover etc. they can become completely invisible if the driver is quite small. Despite being just as high, if not higher, vans aren't as bad as the bonnet is much shorter, so the driver gets more of a downwards view.

SUVs - height "advantage" - FoxyJukebox
Higher SUVs get less dirty around the base areas and other body work.Quicker to keep clean/wash
SUVs - height "advantage" - Adampr

I do sometimes wonder about the wisdom of driving SUVs for visibility reasons. Once everyone has one, will we need to get some kind of giraffe car to see over the top of those?

I get the accessibility thing, but I mostly bought an SUV because of the lack of choice amongst 'proper' cars. Most manufacturers seem to reluctantly offer one mid size hatch/estate that they don't really market and then a whole load variations of 'car on stilts '. VW are the worst; they have something like five different indistinguishable boxes on sale.

Higher SUVs get less dirty around the base areas and other body work.Quicker to keep clean/wash

Do they ? Why ?

Do they ? Why ?

It's further from the ground. You never see people washing their hot air balloons on a Sunday do you?

Higher SUVs get less dirty around the base areas and other body work.Quicker to keep clean/wash.

It's further from the ground. You never see people washing their hot air balloons on a Sunday do you?

I hope you don't take off in your SUV just to keep it clean ... :-)

SUVs - height "advantage" - RT

Do they ? Why ?

Crossovers and soft-roaders that look like SUVs but are front-wheel drive hatchbacks/estates with a suspension lift may stay cleaner but proper SUVs, with full-time 4wd, are in their element with a layer of mud all over.

SUVs - height "advantage" - corax

The advantages of SUV's/crossovers I can see are

- visibility over low cars / less dazzle as discussed

- easier to get in and out

- easier to put heavy items in the boot because the floor is higher meaning less bending.

Do they have a higher seat in relation to the pedals? That is my preferred set up to put less strain on the sciatic nerve. My old Forester had the same arrangement as a conventional car, it was just higher from the ground. Commercial vehicles certainly do. Going back to driving something like my mates Triumph Spitfire would be the ultimate nightmare.

For short journeys I would like a tall design of car that makes you stand while driving. Maybe a slight perch, but you would be strapped in. Probably hand controls because you wouldn't be able to have any sensitivity on pedals in that position. That would allow you to adjust your position, particularly around corners, rather than being shoved from side to side against a seat squab like a sack of potatoes. Just step in and out, no strain on the back, or is that too zany?

I'm not sure about the dazzle thing. I noticed the other night driving home that it's almost exclusively SUVs that cause the problem in the first place because their light are at head height for a car driver.

As for seating position, it does always seem odd that vans are infinitely more comfortable on long journeys than cars. We still have this obsession with being sporty and having low-slung seating positions. Maybe it's my age, but I would rather be sat comfortably. Maybe an upright driving position will be the next trend.

SUVs - height "advantage" - bathtub tom

Maybe an upright driving position will be the next trend.

Ever drive an Austin Maxi? It was like sitting on a bar stool, with an almost horizontal steering wheel. The most comfortable car I've ever had for long journeys

SUVs - height "advantage" - gordonbennet

Ever drive an Austin Maxi? It was like sitting on a bar stool, with an almost horizontal steering wheel. The most comfortable car I've ever had for long journeys

Landcrab too, you'd also like Landcruisers BT and the 2006 on Hilux is remarkably comfortable sitting upright too.

Daughter won't put her car on or off our driveway, we have a level parking area but the entrance is pretty steep, how she drives her Civic type R i haven't a clue, takes me couple of painful minutes to shoe horn myself in past the stupidly sloping screen and its a work of art getting out again, end up falling on to my hands and knees on the ground to extracate myself, she has the seat squab tilted back and the seat back reclined so you are almost lying down, very competent car but the most awful driving position its been my misfortune to experience, if it went up in flames i'd end up going up with it!

Ironically one of the best sporty cars for someone lanky to access is the tiny Mazda MX5, BMW Z4 was on a par with that Civic, wouldn't give you a thankyou for one, i really don't like 2 door cars at all especially if the screen slopes back as so many modern designs do.

The easiest car we've had to access though is our 2008 Forester, comparitively upright screen with sensible A pillars, not too wide front doors, seats at the right height and frameless door windows and loads of headroom, bliss.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/12/2022 at 13:25

I don't remember it feeling like a bar stool driving a series of Maxis between 1973 and 1983, when we took one to Switzerland. One thing that stands out now is the size of the steering wheel, since few everyday cars had PAS. Even the humble 1100's wheel looks large by today's norms.

As for seating position, it does always seem odd that vans are infinitely more comfortable on long journeys than cars. We still have this obsession with being sporty and having low-slung seating positions.

I think it is a legacy of the period when designers were seeking the lowest drag factor to put in sales brochures, as contributing to better mpg. That usually meant a lower, sportier body shape - a thing not usually important for a van :-)

More recently, the arrival of the SUV cult shows that is no longer a primary consideration.

SUVs - height "advantage" - primus 1

I have a ford puma, not a massive height difference over a hatchback, it goes around corners like it’s on rails and regularly see 52+ mpg in mixed driving, mines in for some warranty work and I am driving a loan car, a fiesta, both my wife and myself find the fiesta too low ( despite having owned two) so it’s suv for me for as long as i am able to keep driving…

SUVs - height "advantage" - John Boy

That reminds me of a dream I had a little while ago. I was driving a double decker from upstairs. The problem was that I was sitting at the controls halfway along the gangway. My view in front wasn't good. I was driving along a street market in East London which had stalls on both sides of the street and my view of them and the people either side was minimal.

Edited by John Boy on 20/12/2022 at 19:00

SUVs - height "advantage" - Metropolis.

With the height advantage it also helps seeing over hedgerows. Think for example driving down a twisty country lane, you can often see what is around the bend before regular cars can, and when there are dips in the road, you can see oncoming traffic earlier than you would in a saloon. Also there's a lot of room for comfy very long travel suspension which doesn't get fussed by particularly deep potholes. Add to that the "command driving position" (I *think* LR coined that phrase) offered by some brands, with a captains chair with its own separate arm rests and a sit up driving position, and the possibility of stadium seating in the back so everyone gets a view out. There are clear advantages.

Not all of these are replicated by crossovers and strangely LR have abandoned stadium seating in the Disco 5.

With the height advantage it also helps seeing over hedgerows. Think for example driving down a twisty country lane, you can often see what is around the bend before regular cars can,

At our time of life when the offspring went to uni, we traded our Cavalier estate for an ex-demo Mk.1 Prairie (the brick-shaped one, as the salesman said). It lumbered along with its 1.8-litre engine, getting 40mpg or thereabouts, and had a useful load volume and a double-bed capability. But the high seating position was memorable for the time (about 1989).

SUVs - height "advantage" - Metropolis.

The salesman's comments made me laugh. How was the Prairie, reliable?

I seem to remember they featured prominently in the Highway Code of the early 90s. Presumably an illustrator's dream come true.

I don't recall having any trouble with it, but we only kept it 2 or 3 years while we needed the load space. Actually it moved on to SWMBO's BiL, who believed cars should look after themselves, so the window rubbers slowly turned green with algae. Eventually it failed MoT because the sliding doors made the bodyshell more prone to folding up in the middle from corrosion.

SUVs - height "advantage" - HGV ~ P Valentine

What diff does it make ? If you give yourself

1 . Stopping distance ( highway code rule 126 )

2 . Allow that to be increased when slippery.

The rule of thumb is that when you stop ( traffic lights ) you should be able to see the road in front of you. But you cant blame the vehicle for bad driving as it is people who do the driving not he vehicle itself.

The rule of thumb is that when you stop ( traffic lights ) you should be able to see the road in front of you. But you cant blame the vehicle for bad driving as it is people who do the driving not he vehicle itself.

You can if the design of the vehicle limits forward vision. When I replaced my Pug 306 with a 207SW one of my earliest impressions was the difficulty of seeing anything ahead when crossing a hump such as a canal bridge or a Lake District back lane - because the screen was more raked, with less angle between it and the bonnet.

SUVs - height "advantage" - Alby Back
I must be an outlier. I just don’t like the “feel” of a tall vehicle to drive. Feels like driving while sitting on a bar stool as opposed to a comfortable chair.
My wife likes them though, as do many it seems, so I’m not claiming to be correct, just expressing a personal preference.
SUVs - height "advantage" - Engineer Andy
I must be an outlier. I just don’t like the “feel” of a tall vehicle to drive. Feels like driving while sitting on a bar stool as opposed to a comfortable chair. My wife likes them though, as do many it seems, so I’m not claiming to be correct, just expressing a personal preference.

To me, it felt akin to driving a transit sized van than a car - way too upright for my liking, almost like sitting at the dinner table.

The drive itself in the CX-3 I test drove back in early 2017 was fine (few Mazdas handle badly, especially these days), but I felt like I was 'perched' on the seat, whereas the 3 felt like sitting in the seat and far better for me around the bends.

I much prefer the feel of sitting lower down and not tipping around all over the place, but I find it physically uncomfortable.