What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Honda jazzer

Hi guys i've got a slow puncture in my front tyre on my Honda jazz 2009

just wantred to ask what peoples thoughts were on best way to proceed. I've seen several kits to fix these things such as Holts Tyreweld 500ml

www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-...l

OR is it better to take it to Halfords they charge £25 to fix

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - badbusdriver

Better to get it fixed properly.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - catsdad

The Halfords link makes it clear this only a solution to get you to a garage. It’s not permanent so if the puncture is indeed slow then go to a tyre outlet. It’s probably a tyre issue but it could be an alloy wheel or valve failing. Any good tyre fitter will diagnose the issue.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Simon

Take it to a decent independent tyre outlet and they'll repair it properly and for significantly less than £25

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Engineer Andy

Take it to a decent independent tyre outlet and they'll repair it properly and for significantly less than £25

Indeed - my Mazda main dealer refitted my previous (then new) set of tyres FOC when one kept slowly going down because of a combo of a starting-to-corrode alloy plus poor sealant from the original fitter (who tried again and failed). It worked for another 5 years without fault. Even if they charge, it should be no more than a fitting charge, £10 - £15.

If it's a plug that needs fitting, probably a similar amount. Last time I had that done, on my old 96N Micra, it cost me £10 or less, but that was 20 years ago. I suspect prices haven't doubled in that time though, even with recent inflation.

The only higher charge might come if an alloy needs work done on it if it is slightly mishapen and the sealant cannot make up the rest of the 'gap'.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - madf

Almost certainly alloy wheel rim corrosion causing slow pressure loss. Had it on my Jazz and our Yaris

Any tyre centre will remove tyre and clean up rim. My local one charges £10:

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Surreydriver

Assuming the OP has alloy wheels.

Last one I did was £15 at our local independent tyre place. Repair, new valve and re balance.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - sammy1

Could be anything causing the air loss, some as above. If you have a nail or screw in the tyre they might not legally be allowed to plug the leak so be prepared to shell out for a new tyre. If the tread is near legal limit then not worth repairing. The tyre bay will blow it up higher than usual and put it in a bath of water if the cause of the leak is not obvious.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - edlithgow

Can you still get those sticky string thing kits in The Yook?

They were in a Triumph Herald owners manual I once bought in the vague hope of maybe someday getting a car to go with it, but may have since fallen victim to societal change.

Cost about a fiver equivalent here in Taiwan, with half a dozen strings and pliers, rasp and insert needle.

Used them on my Sierra DOHC, which seemed to get a lot of nail punctures, maybe due to wide tyres,or because I was failing a lot of students around then and parked on campus. Worked fine, though of course it wouldnt address rim-sealing issues.

Edited by edlithgow on 17/12/2022 at 12:18

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - RT

Can you still get those sticky string thing kits in The Yook?

They were in a Triumph Herald owners manual I once bought in the vague hope of maybe someday getting a car to go with it, but may have since fallen victim to societal change.

Cost about a fiver equivalent here in Taiwan, with half a dozen strings and pliers, rasp and insert needle.

Used them on my Sierra DOHC, which seemed to get a lot of nail punctures, maybe due to wide tyres,or because I was failing a lot of students around then and parked on campus. Worked fine, though of course it wouldnt address rim-sealing issues.

Yes,we can still get Tyre Strings in the UK - I bought a set when I bought my SUV, in case of punctures off-road.

Sorry guys I should have posted photo of the tyre , I been very busy a lot lately so dashing through things and to make it worse I'm pretty sure the tyre fitters have changed the 185 to 175 tyres . But I can't be sure as I don't have photos before I took it in to them .

They say the front rims are 15 inch not 16 so can't be 185

For my jazz it says from tyres should be from 185 and rear 175

Although they are reputable and have been around for ages .

Apparently my two front tyres were cracked 1 more than the other so had to get them replaced cost about £60 a tyre all in

Edited by Honda jazzer on 17/12/2022 at 14:14

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - madf

Sorry guys I should have posted photo of the tyre , I been very busy a lot lately so dashing through things and to make it worse I'm pretty sure the tyre fitters have changed the 185 to 175 tyres . But I can't be sure as I don't have photos before I took it in to them .

Although they are reputable and have been around for ages .

Apparently my two front tyres were cracked 1 more than the other so had to get them replaced cost about £60 a tyre all in

Are your tyres the original Dunlops? Notorious for cracking especially between treads.
Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Bromptonaut

Nearside front on the Berlingo was going down over 3-4 weeks. No obvious nail or similar.

Took it to my local tyre place where the tyre was removed, the alloy rim cleaned and tyre re-fitted with valve/balance. Cost a tad over £20 which seems reasonable for the operative's time.

First time I've seen a female tyre fitter.

when they fit new tyres are they supposed to do anything else to car your ?

There are some cars where the front and rear tyres are of a different size, but a Jazz is not one of them. They should all be the same size, and the info I have says it would be either 175/65 R15 or 185/55 R16.

Having said that, different sized tyres can be fitted as long as all four are the same size and within a small percentage (I think up to 2% is the recommendation) of the circumference as the originals (so the speedometer reads the correct speed). There are websites where you can compare the dimensions of each tyres size (if doing so, you'd need to inform your insurers, especially if is a 'non standard' size of tyre).

when they fit new tyres are they supposed to do anything else to car your ?

Not sure I understand the question?. Assuming the wheels have been balanced, and they have been put back on the car, no.

What are you expecting them to do?

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/12/2022 at 17:59

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - mcb100
Narrower rear tyres on a FWD has ‘lift off oversteer’ written all over it.
Coming off the accelerator briskly whilst cornering could well result in the back of the Jazz trying to overtake the front.

That's too funny the back trying to over take the front lololololol too many lololol

sounds like a Disney cartoon lol

to balance the wheels do they need to put it on a machine, as they didn't with mine just put the wheels on and off

to balance the wheels do they need to put it on a machine, as they didn't with mine just put the wheels on and off

Not 100% sure on this, but I think there are machines that can balance the wheel while on the car.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - gordonbennet

Not 100% sure on this, but I think there are machines that can balance the wheel while on the car.

I used to use one back in the dark ages circa 1973, haven't seen one in use for years...the depot manager supervised its use one day training a new chap in its use, car not jacked up high enough so the powered wheel of the machine was rubbing on the sidewall of the tyre to bring the wheel up to balance speed not the shoulder...tried to tell manager but he insisted tis was how it was done...it dug a very pretty groove around the middle of the sidewall scrapping a brand new tyre...manager cleared off back in the office and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - galileo

I used to use one back in the dark ages circa 1973, haven't seen one in use for years...the depot manager supervised its use one day training a new chap in its use, car not jacked up high enough so the powered wheel of the machine was rubbing on the sidewall of the tyre to bring the wheel up to balance speed not the shoulder...tried to tell manager but he insisted tis was how it was done...it dug a very pretty groove around the middle of the sidewall scrapping a brand new tyre...manager cleared off back in the office and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Our local Ford dealer had one of these, tried to balance my Zephyr fronts but the initial unbalance shook the wheel off the powered roller, so had to take wheels off.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - gordonbennet

Our local Ford dealer had one of these, tried to balance my Zephyr fronts but the initial unbalance shook the wheel off the powered roller, so had to take wheels off.

We had quite a good standard dynamic balancer at Marshams, i had a bit of knack with it and enjoyed getting them spot on, the on-car balancer was OK but was a lot of faff.

That's too funny the back trying to over take the front lololololol too many lololol

sounds like a Disney cartoon lol

Not "too funny" when it happens, as it has twice to me

First time, borrowed Metro, spun 180 and went through a hedge backwards (probably the best way to go through a hedge) and stopped on the edge of a sea cliff. That car had uneven front brakes so the rotation MIGHT have been initiated by my braking, rather than purely engine braking. Not sure. Was very fast and I didn't have time (or indeed skill/knowledge) to do anything other than centre the steering.

Second time, on the Skywing, was purely engine braking plus a curve in the road. Car slewed its rear out into oncoming lane but I was able to correct in time. No tyre assymetry known but I run higher than standard tyre pressures which might have been a factor.

On the upside, I can take it as an endorsement of my coasting practice, which would normally eliminate engine braking on descending curves.

Re your second bit, are you sure they did in fact balance your tyres?

how much does it cost generally to balance ones tyres and would this come as part of tyre replacement service , as i had 2 tyres replaced (but not balancing ) it felt a bit dodgy the garage but they have been going for years and i didn't really get a rip off feel for it

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - mcb100
A reputable tyre retailer will include the tyre itself, a new valve, balancing and tyre disposal in the price of the tyre.
If I’ve a tyre gone out of balance, I’d expect to pay £10-£15 for just a balance, per tyre.

A reputable tyre retailer will include the tyre itself, a new valve, balancing and tyre disposal in the price of the tyre.

Indeed, I wouldn't go back to a garage which does not balance the wheels as a matter of course. As far as I'm concerned, not doing so means they haven't completed the job. A very poor show.

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - Xileno

I have never experienced a tyre change without balancing being done. It makes no sense. Whether they do the balancing properly is a different matter, some places seem to have difficulty with it. Whether it's operator error or the machine being out of calibration I don't know.

I have never experienced a tyre change without balancing being done. It makes no sense. Whether they do the balancing properly is a different matter, some places seem to have difficulty with it. Whether it's operator error or the machine being out of calibration I don't know.

I have, but only when I've changed the tyre myself. which IIRC I've only done twice, fitting remoulds using Girling branded tyre irons I bought in a charity shop, and using the weight of the vehicle to break the bead.

Wasn't all that difficult, and, for whatever reason (luck or lack of perception of vibration subtlties?) didn't seem t cause any issues.

I tried it again fairly recently in Taiwan and found bead breaking extremely difficult, even with fairly desperate improvisation, though the tyre I was removing was old and hardened which might have been a factor, or I've just lost my touch.

Doubt I'll be doing it again

tw.forumosa.com/t/bead-breaking/185598

I'd agree that someone supplying tyres should balance as part of the fitting.

Edited by edlithgow on 27/12/2022 at 14:07

Honda Jazz - Slow puncture - bathtub tom

You need a Stenor bead breaker.

Edited by bathtub tom on 27/12/2022 at 16:49