What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying advice please - Crickleymal

Hi all.

I have a Kia Sorento mk1 at present. It's a superbly comfortable car to drive but with fuel prices the way they are I'm going to get a different car in the next 6 months.

I need the space. I have to carry around large rotavators and bee hives so I'm looking at Citroen Berlingo or Fiat Doblo. But it occurred to me that the Ford Galaxy might be more comfortable. Most of my journeys are less than 5 miles so I'm looking at a petrol model. My budget is £7k. A lot of the Ford Galaxies use the Ecoboost engines so should I be wary of them?

Buying advice please - badbusdriver

I would suggest that very little mpg would be gained by changing to a Galaxy, which is a also a large and heavy vehicle.

Berlingo and Doblo?, the Diesel engines in each are not considered the most reliable (unless meticulously maintained and looked after) and petrol versions are like hens teeth. Plus, if you did find a petrol Berlingo or Partner, at this price it would probably have the infamous Prince engine, so not desirable either.

Sound like you don't do that many miles, so if it was me I'd stick with the Sorento.

Buying advice please - elekie&a/c doctor
Older Ford petrol engines like the Zetec and Duratec were pretty good and reliable. Sadly the Ecoboost range is not . Overheating with cracked engine blocks are common. Best avoided .
Buying advice please - RT

With a budget of £7k and most journeys under 5 miles you're not going to save any money by changing your car - your Sorento will have very low depreciation so stick with the devil you know.

Buying advice please - Andrew-T

With a budget of £7k and most journeys under 5 miles you're not going to save any money by changing your car

Changing a car nearly always costs money, and it sounds as if you won't recover much of that by using less fuel. Many people feel an itch to change, and then look for dubious ways to justify the cost.

It's reaching the end of the road. I had to have £500 worth of welding this year and it drinks fuel. I get 35 on a long run and probably closer to 20 around town. Plus I'm banned from ULEZ towns like Bristol and Bath which we visit quite often. If the clutch goes it'll be lots of money too. Plus it's 17 years old and the wheel arches are shot.

Edited by Crickleymal on 25/11/2022 at 11:59

Buying advice please - paul 1963

It's reaching the end of the road. I had to have £500 worth of welding this year and it drinks fuel. I get 35 on a long run and probably closer to 20 around town. Plus I'm banned from ULEZ towns like Bristol and Bath which we visit quite often. If the clutch goes it'll be lots of money too. Plus it's 17 years old and the wheel arches are shot.

In that case maybe it is time to start looking around, I drive a ( diesel) Berlingo for work and get high 50's mpg, quite a pleasant thing to drive as well if it helps?

In that case maybe it is time to start looking around, I drive a ( diesel) Berlingo for work and get high 50's mpg, quite a pleasant thing to drive as well if it helps?

Thanks. I've had a Berlingo before and liked it. But because most of my journeys are less than 5 miles diesel is out.

Buying advice please - Adampr
How many seats do you need?

5 but plenty of boot space as I have to transport rotorvators which are at least 6 ft long.

Sounds like you need a Dacia Jogger and ten grand extra to buy it with! I was thinking you might be able to find something like a Renault Kangoo, Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Scudo,Citroen Despatch etc with a wheelchair ramp. That way, you could just roll the rotorvators in. Not many petrol ones around I guess.

What about a Dacia Logan?

There are a few petrol Berlingos out there if you're prepared to travel.

The trouble with a wheelchair accessible car is a. There's often less ground clearance which is important to me and b. Often they're very low mileage and that seems to bring its own problems and c. Often the rear seats are tiny and no good for adults on a long journey. We go camping in the summer and need to fit a big tent and a fridge in as well as 4 adults and their gear.

I did own a wheelchair accessible Mercedes Vaneo for a short while. Terrible car, tiny seats, low ground clearance and very unreliable.

I'm not sure the Logan is tall enough, the rotavator is nearly 4 ft tall.

Buying advice please - corax
I'm not sure the Logan is tall enough, the rotavator is nearly 4 ft tall.

What is it, a Howard Gem :-)

I'm not sure any of the small vans have a 6 ft load length. If they do then it'll be tight. You would need to go for a longer XL version of any of them.

Your criteria of needing a large load space and petrol is difficult. I would do a few longer journeys even with a petrol as 5 miles is not going to be good for anything long term.

People carrier version on the Toyota Proace, Peugeot Traveller, Citroen Space Tourer would be ideal but not for your budget. You would need somewhere to store the seats as there is not much room when they are folded. They are best removed.

Edited by corax on 25/11/2022 at 17:47

Buying advice please - bazza

There are petrol 1.4 doblos about, mostly with disabled conversion which as above might be useful. That engine is I believe largely ok, mpg will not be great but good enough, and definitely more suitable for your useage. The petrol Berlingos etc in your budget have the 1.6 Prince engine, with a very poor reliability reputation, mainly around cam chain weakness. What about a small trailer?

Buying advice please - badbusdriver

I'd be concerned about the load bay length in a Berlingo. Stated maximum load bay length for the van is 1800mm, just under 6'. But that measurement will be at floor level because that is usually the longest point. At the level of the top of the backrest, you could knock as much as 200mm off that for the backrest angle. On the car version there will be slightly more length than a van with bulkhead but, unless you are particularly short, you probably wouldn't be able to drive comfortably with a 6' rotovator in the back. A LWB 5 seat version of Fiat Doblo would probably work but doubtful you'd find one for £7k (even less likely with a petrol engine)

Is a trailer not a viable option?. That would open up much more choices for a replacement car with lower running costs.

Good points BBD, must add in my van the 2 passenger seat fold flat and the bulkhead panels fold flat with a simple catch mechanism, I often carry long exhaust sections with no trouble.

Must admit the op will struggle to find something to fit his requirements on 7k, as suggested a trailer would be ideal, would you really want to carry large turf machines and hives one minute and then carry family the next inside the vehicle?

I have thought about a trailer but don't have anywhere to store it. I've fitted the rotavator in the back of the Sorento with the seats down and also in the back of a Berlingo with the seats down so that's no problem. Looks like a Doblo is going to be the vehicle to go for.

I don't see what the problem is with putting a rotavator in then carrying the family later. You just sling a tarpaulin in before the rotavator.

5 but plenty of boot space as I have to transport rotorvators which are at least 6 ft long.

If you need to carry 5 along with 6 foot rotorvators then you need a Ford transit.....

Buying advice please - Big John

In my Skoda Superb hatch I frequently carry 2.4m lengths of wood with the a front seat not fully back so I would imagine a Skoda Superb Estate would cope well with 6ft long loads (not sure re height of rotovators though). I have a 1.4tsi petrol and it's pretty economical, overall average mid 40's mpg with low 50's possible on a steadyish run. Carries 5 people but it's perfect for carrying 4 (loads of legroom etc) but less palatial for 5. It wouldn't be great if the middle seat person was large.

Edited by Big John on 25/11/2022 at 21:49

I'm assuming it's five with the seats up and rotorvators with the seats down.

In terms of fuel / tax economy (and looking on Autotrader), it would.appear that a Renault Grand Scenic or Citroen C4 Grand Picasso are both available with a 1.2 petrol and will no doubt be comfy. The Vauxhall Zafira Tourer.is available with a 1.4.

I hadn't considered the Grand Picasso. I assumed that it would be the same petrol engine as the Berlingo and Partner.

Buying advice please - Andrew-T

If you need to carry 5 along with 6 foot rotorvators then you need a Ford transit.....

All this discussion of long loads reminds me of a trip with one of our Maxis some time in the 1970s. We carried a slab of kitchen worktop, plus a complete kit of aluminium angle and glass to build a greenhouse .... Admittedly some parts stuck out a bit under the tailgate.

A friend of mine always had Maxis until it got too difficult to maintain them. Bungee strap to hold it in 5th gear. He rolled one on a Welsh hillside. The windscreen popped out intact so he got a jack and forced the roof back to roughly normal then replaced the windscreen. Bit of filler and Bob's your uncle.

Buying advice please - Xileno

"Bungee strap to hold it in 5th gear."

Early Maxis had a cable gearchange which wasn't very good. It was often a bit of luck changing gear. It was quite soon changed to using rods which improved things.