Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - DavidGlos

Following road closures yesterday, I ended up following a very slow moving stream of traffic up a single track lane. Very steep hills and extremely slow progress. Having been stationary on a steep hill for several minutes, the traffic ahead moved forward again. Except the car immediately in front didn’t move.

Turns out the Powershift gearbox on the Ford B-Max had overheated and was flashing up a warning that it needed to be left for five minutes to cool down! The poor driver (with a young child) was distraught, as she was completely blocking the road.

After 5 minutes, she was able to move off again, but the transmission overheated again after about 100 yards. Another wait, plus the ground becoming flatter allowed her to continue her journey.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for the reliability of dual clutch auto boxes, although I’ve no idea if she was using the throttle to hold the vehicle on the slope, rather than applying the handbrake and shifting into neutral.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Metropolis.
Interesting. I do wonder whether Honda have avoided this problem, they use DCTs on some North American models and the DCT is routed through a torque converter.
Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - John F

Hardly the fault of the transmission. The torque x time required to counter gravity (newton-metre x second or watt) via the prop shaft will eventually either fry the clutch lining or boil the clutchless gearbox oil. If people understood more about how the mechanical bits of their car worked, they might last longer......but hey, that's UK 'humanities' education for you with engineering still regarded as a second rate career.....mainly by those who are incapable of understanding it.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Chris M

I have some sympathy with your PoV JohnF, but I also believe Ford (and all other manufacturers) should be designing products that can handle the task reasonably presented to them. Being stuck in slow moving traffic on a hill is highly conceivable. As is having a driver who doesn't understand how the car works.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - pd

You could quite easily overheat/cook a conventional manual and clutch in similar circumstances.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Engineer Andy

You could quite easily overheat/cook a conventional manual and clutch in similar circumstances.

Only if you rode the clutch. The problem is that way too many dual clutch systems are:

a) poorly engineered to not be able withstand situations like this, even if used properly, or

b) sold as being (operably) the same as CVT or especially TC autos (which they are obviously not) and that as a consquence;

c) naive/lazy (didn't do their homework to check up before purchase) owners buy them for inappropriate usage patterns and/or use them (probably as in this case) in the wrong way.

Yes, a manual clutch can burn out in very short order if you don't use it correctly, but at least owners should know by now what not to do to avoid that. Many owners of DCT-quippped cars have no clue how their car's system works, hence why so many fail early compared to manual or TC auto boxes.

Of course, a well-engineered system (e.g. Hyundai/KIAs in-house or BMWs [presumably] Aisin unit) will be more reliable than, say VAG's older dry (smaller capacity) clutch DSGs and Ford's Powershift boxes, which were (to me, anyway) designed for efficiency on the move, and not robustness under heavy load, long-term reliability and accesss for maintenance.

Not helped by them IMHO being marketed either incorrectly or perhaps even deliberately witholding information on suich things because they were heavily (financially) committed to the tech and didn't want to lose face (and thus sales) once they were shown to be not as good / reliable as sold.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Manatee

We have a Skoda with DSG.

The manual explicitly says do not hold the car on the accelerator. The reason is obvious when you know how it works.

Many years ago I was with a colleague in his car. We reached a red light, on a hill. He put the car in 1st gear and held it on the clutch. When I commented (rude, but I couldn't help it) he said "that's what it's for". He said he usually got about 8,000 miles out of a clutch.

That's what holding a DSG on the accelerator is doing. I'd never buy one used.

I can well believe a lot of people do this if they have been long term drivers of automatics habituated to using 'creep'.

DCTs are commonly referred to as "automatic" and there will be many drivers who don't distinguish them from proper ones.

Edited by Manatee on 26/11/2022 at 19:36

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - madf

"We have a Skoda with DSG.

The manual explicitly says do not hold the car on the accelerator. The reason is obvious when you know how it works."

HOW MANY owners of a new car read the manual?

and How many users of a second hand car have a manual , let alone readit.

Typical VGA: poorly designed.. rather like Ford's Powershift

I drive a Honda Jazz CVT : no issues in 10 years of wonership. The only dos and don'ts are don't move into Reverse when moving forwards..

"We have a Skoda with DSG.

The manual explicitly says do not hold the car on the accelerator. The reason is obvious when you know how it works."

HOW MANY owners of a new car read the manual?

and How many users of a second hand car have a manual , let alone readit.

Indeed. Most people read (or when they do, understand / fully comprehend [often as it's either a translated document or one complied by someone where English isn't their first, or maybe even second language]) the manual for their TV or HiFi, let alone car. At most, people will check to what the tyre size/pressure whould be (if not on the door plate) and what engine oil type is needed.

Typical VGA: poorly designed.. rather like Ford's Powershift

I'd say that Ford's was worse. The main reason why VAG's gets cited more often is that there are so many more of them around due to the many sub brands and them staring production a lot earlier than Ford did.

I drive a Honda Jazz CVT : no issues in 10 years of wonership. The only dos and don'ts are don't move into Reverse when moving forwards..

That last 'don't' is covered in my 16yo Mazda3's manual for both the manual and TC auto gearbox versions - never a good idea for any gearbox to go against the direction of current travel.

The only CVT issues I've heard of were in Nissans, and normally at a much later stage in the component's life than in DCTs for similar usage. IMHO more likely due to the lesser engineering quality of Jatco boxes compared to, say, Aisin.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Manatee

>>Typical VGA: poorly designed.. rather like Ford's Powershift

I assume you mean the gearbox, not the manual?

I wouldn't say badly designed. Inappropriate for the application, maybe. In a sense they are an engineering triumph.

My recollection is that DCT were developed by (or for) Porsche for racing. The standout feature is millisecond gear changes. Within reason, durability is less of an issue on a GT racing car than on a consumer vehicle as is refinement. Gear changes would normally be commanded by steering wheel switches but given that actuation is electronically controlled, it is feasible also to have automatic control

Bragging rights aside, the virtually instant changes don't matter for a family hatchback. But the absence of a power-sapping fluid drive means a leap in economy. Irrelevant for racing but a major consideration on consumer cars.

Unfortunately ordinary private motorists spend much more time manoeuvring, starting off, and crawling in traffic than GT racers. And if the DCT is sold as "automatic" then those habituated to autos will (1) expect them to behave like the ones they have driven previously, (2) drive them in the same way, and (3) not bother too much with reading the manual.

The manufacturers have continually improved the programming to make them behave like proper autos. The wet clutch DSG's are very close now, the dry clutch ones less so but still passable. The programming is very sophisticated IMO.

Nevertheless they have proved, if not inherently fragile, then perhaps susceptible to failure consequent on the manner of use. Actual information in the public domain seems spa*** - naturally the manufacturers aren't very up front about it. The fact that some are reverting to epicyclic/TC type autos is telling.

It doesn't help that the dealers just pass them off as "automatics". To me they will always be a fudge, pretending to be something they aren't.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - corax

Hardly the fault of the transmission.

Interesting though that Ford has now reverted to a torque converter gearbox for the newer models.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Xileno

Yes very interesting. What is the advantage of these fancy gearboxes? Lower cost of production, emissions?

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - RT

Yes very interesting. What is the advantage of these fancy gearboxes? Lower cost of production, emissions?

Fuel economy and emissions are lower with DCTs than conventional torque converter automatics

When DSG gearboxes came in nearly 20 years ago a typical auto was 4 or 5 speed and the hit on economy and emissions on particularly diesels was significant when attached to one. A 10mpg difference was not untypical.

Manufactures tried various solutions including CVT (e.g. Audi) and automated manuals (e.g. PSA). DSG/CVT was by far the nicest to drive.

With the advent of 8 speed autos the difference is small or negligible.

I suspect there will be little more development of either autos or DSG/DCT. There won't be the time to get development costs back before they are all defunct.

Edited by pd on 25/11/2022 at 16:28

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - gordonbennet

Is the rest of the world going to join our supposed leaders (dressed for discotheque) at the G20 in net zero economic suicide?, because i suspect the rest of the world will be making and buying new real cars vans and trucks for decades yet.

Mind you likely to more reliable proven drivetrains than the fragile things being discussed here.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/11/2022 at 16:41

With passenger cars a lot of countries seem to be setting a 2030-2035 timeframe for a ban on ICE. US is going state by state but 2035 seems a common year mentioned. Even China are keen to move that way as they see it to the advantage of their car industry.

So, take out Europe, USA, China and probably a few other places you are talking a lot less cars and a lot less units and years to amortise your investment in new technology over.

Manufacturers will clearly reduce investment in ICE engines and drivetrains for passenger cars because they simply won't get their money back. Indeed there is talk of many manufacturers axing entire ranges early next year because they don't think investment in Euro 7 worthwhile.

Not saying it is by any means good or I agree with it but that's the reality.

Edited by pd on 26/11/2022 at 10:34

Fuel economy and emissions are lower with DCTs than conventional torque converter automatics

Indeed - even where makes have improved the efficiency of troque converter auto boxes, they still lag about 10-15% behind in efficiency compared to a CVT, DCT or (when used properly) manual box.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Metropolis.

Do you have sources for that figure? Lock up torque converters are pretty good.

Do you have sources for that figure? Lock up torque converters are pretty good.

I was mainly going by the comparisons between autos and manuals' mpg on the HJ review data (mixed driving) I've seen for various cars, including later versions of my own Mazda3. As you say, newer designs have improved, and a 10% difference is only about 4-5mpg, which isn't that much in the grand scheme.

Still prefer them to DCTs because of the better reliability.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - John F

Indeed - even where makes have improved the efficiency of troque converter auto boxes, they still lag about 10-15% behind in efficiency compared to a ....... (when used properly) manual box.

Not these days. I found this comment about the Cactus with an EAT6 - same powertrain as our Peugeot 2008....

There's a small impact on fuel economy, with a claimed 61.4mpg combined to the manual car's 65.7mpg.

....way below 10%

Edited by John F on 29/11/2022 at 17:28

The EAT6 used a fairly old 6-speed Aisin gearbox I think which dates from about 2005/6. A 6-speed torque convertor is almost certainly going to be less economical than a manual.

However, the latest 8-speeds and the like (called, drum roll, the EAT8 by PSA) have little or no impact (in fact sometimes more economical) compared to manuals.

Reliability of Ford Powershift ‘boxes - Adampr

Without wishing to get knee-deep into an argument I have no stake in; the 'Real MPG' figure would seem to suggest that the EAT6 in a C4 Cactus uses around 15% more fuel than the manual. The EAT8 in the Peugeot 3008 is closer to the manual but still 5-10% worse.

Now, none of us can see any of the detail behind that, but it's better than guessing (probably).