12v tyre inflators - Metropolis.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand or model of cigarette socket driven tyre inflator? Looking around, Amazon is full of brands I have never heard of, and I don't want to be relying on those in a pinch, to be honest. Happy to consider any brand if forum members have had good experience though.

Any recommendations/models to avoid?
Thank you.

- The car does not come with a spare, or even space to carry a spare...

12v tyre inflators - Andrew-T

I have had a Ring inflator for several years, since my long-serving foot pump finally refused to stay on the valve as I pumped. No problem so far, tho I have heard some complaining about theirs.

12v tyre inflators - Ian D
In a recent Autoexpress test the Ring RAC 635 and the Ring RTC 1000 came out tops…
12v tyre inflators - Ethan Edwards

Another vote for Ring

12v tyre inflators - alan1302

I've got a Ring one as well...had it at least 10 years and never had a problem with it.

12v tyre inflators - catsdad

Yet another basic Ring in my boot. It’s now over ten years old and has outlasted much more expensive predecessors from Michelin (all singing and dancing but packed in after two years) and an AA branded one.
None of these were used much. Even the Ring has probably had less than an hour running time over its whole life.
I am sure this came up a while back and there were recommendations for some more robust, and expensive, inflators for frequent use.

12v tyre inflators - gordonbennet

I have a twin cylinder inflator which came from Paddock Spares many years ago, they still sell them but they are now over £100, something like 150l/min inflation rate which will fully inflate a standard 16/17" car tyre in just over a minute and a large 4x4 tyre in about 2 mins, no cig lighter connection with these they use far too much current.

There are several smaller versions of these on offer, if you punch twin cylinder tyre inflator in to the search box on your favourite sale site they will come up, inflation rates quoted from 60l/min up to around 80l/min (they all look similar design to me so judge for yourself), some appear to have both cig lighter and croc clips for direct to battery connection and come with a long coiled air pipe, same as the larger version i have, priced between £35 and £50, obviously these will take up more space than one of the smaller types and i would always suggest connecting direct to battery in preference to typical cig lighter especially in an emergency situation.

Might be interesting to compare airflow rates with some of the typical inflators for sale, if you can find the specs, one smaller version i clicked on didn't quote flow rate but suggested a 13" tyre (common size in 1967) would take 4.5 mins to inflate.

What i would suggest, if where safe and possible whenever inflating tyres to keep the engine running, the current involved with inflating a tyre from flat could render you with a non starter, don't want that on the side of a busy road.

12v tyre inflators - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car has no spare wheel it’s possibly on run flats . However, if it’s not , I would expect there to be a tyre inflation kit with a can of goo and a 12 volt pump .
12v tyre inflators - UCB
I have one from Halfords which has been reliable over ten years. Digital and has a built in torch function. Cost around £25 - £30 if I recall.
12v tyre inflators - Cris_on_the_gas

Also got a Ring digital one. Had it for about 8 years and has been good. It's small carry case also makes it useful to carry in motorcycle top box on longer trips.

12v tyre inflators - Bromptonaut
I have one from Halfords which has been reliable over ten years. Digital and has a built in torch function. Cost around £25 - £30 if I recall.

Both our cars have a Halfords inflator in the boot.

They work well on both car and bikes and will take the bike tyres to 100+psi.

Only gripe is the faffy screw on fitting to the valve.

12v tyre inflators - Robert J.

I actually prefer the faffy screw on fittings. I find the the old design with a lever difficult to remove without letting all the air out. Maybe I doing it wrong but I find the screw type forms a good seal and comes off with no loss of pressure.

I am going to consider these as well, thank you GB
12v tyre inflators - JonestHon

I have a Michelin inflator, built like the proverbial and is in use every other Sunday to check and topup where needed.

Lives in the boot and never gave me any issues.

Pros:

1. Powerful

2. The valve is made of brass so should live a long life

3.Very accurate

4. You can get it in Argos

5. Very long cord

Comes with free fuses

Cons:

1.Bit bulky

2. Not cheap

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7405244....3

12v tyre inflators - John F

Can anyone recommend a particular brand or model of cigarette socket driven tyre inflator?

I can't - and wouldn't if I could. Had one once - didn't last long. I recommend a bicycle track pump. Good excercise.

12v tyre inflators - London calling

another vote for a bicycle floor pump with pressure gauge....

12v tyre inflators - FoxyJukebox
A Halfords Essential foot pump is totally adequate .
12v tyre inflators - Sparrow

We've got a Michelin branded one. Works fine and has done for over ten years. It pumps our campervan tyres to 55psi as well as the lower pressures the car needs. Interesting idea about the bike pump. Must try that one of these days.

12v tyre inflators - kiss (keep it simple)

I had a no-name model included with the car. Its plug fell apart but I soldered on a Tamiya connector and run it off a RC model battery. This was partly because it was a poor fit in the lighter socket and blew a fuse a couple of times on the previous car. Otherwise it's been pretty good.

Thank you everyone! Seems like Ring is the winning candidate.
12v tyre inflators - daveyK_UK
Got one from a scrap yard a few years back, £5

It has the various VAG group brand logos on

It works well but very noisy !
12v tyre inflators - RT
Got one from a scrap yard a few years back, £5 It has the various VAG group brand logos on It works well but very noisy !

Those are standard fit on VW Group models with tyre inflation kits or deflated-storage space-saver spares - I have one in my Touareg, it works well but yes, it's noisy.

12v tyre inflators - edlithgow

Can anyone recommend a particular brand or model of cigarette socket driven tyre inflator? Looking around, Amazon is full of brands I have never heard of, and I don't want to be relying on those in a pinch, to be honest. Happy to consider any brand if forum members have had good experience though.

Thank you.

Had a few no-names but they all failed, though I've never had one of the recommended Ring things.

I use a "classic" Decathlon bicycle pump for routine top-ups. This works surprisingly well and was the cheapest model they did,

Cant have that,, so of course they no longer sell it. Now they do a lot of designery junk that doesn't work.

GF got me an extremely designery battery powered Xiaomi gizmo which charged via USB, so of course it now doesn't

For emergency use I have some little disposable CO2 cylinders, but have never used them. I also have a full sized spare.

Must get around to improvising something. Pop bottles, old fire extinguishers, fridge compressors are all candidates, The tricky bit is the valve connection. I favor screw-ons rather than push-ons for a more positive connection

12v tyre inflators - Bolt

Thank you.

Had a few no-names but they all failed, though I've never had one of the recommended Ring things.

I use a "classic" Decathlon bicycle pump for routine top-ups. This works surprisingly well and was the cheapest model they did,

Cant have that,, so of course they no longer sell it. Now they do a lot of designery junk that doesn't work.

GF got me an extremely designery battery powered Xiaomi gizmo which charged via USB, so of course it now doesn't

For emergency use I have some little disposable CO2 cylinders, but have never used them. I also have a full sized spare.

Must get around to improvising something. Pop bottles, old fire extinguishers, fridge compressors are all candidates, The tricky bit is the valve connection. I favor screw-ons rather than push-ons for a more positive connection

I suspect you have plenty of time on your hands to mess around making a tyre pump lol, surely it would be easier to buy one, not being funny just seems a lot of work for a simple item ;)

Thank you.

I suspect you have plenty of time on your hands to mess around making a tyre pump lol, surely it would be easier to buy one, not being funny just seems a lot of work for a simple item ;)

Have now. Retired (or old and currently unemployed, anyway)

Its easier to buy one, sure. BUT those readily available (in Taiwan, anyway, but I suspect in The Yook too), are, IMO and limited experience, no damn good.

(As I said havn't used the Ring things)

Edited by edlithgow on 24/11/2022 at 17:15

12v tyre inflators - Andrew-T

<< I suspect in The Yook too >>

Now that you are not in Taiwan, Ed, might I most respectfully suggest that repeated use of your strange word 'Yook' is left behind while you are back here ? I have never seen or heard anyone else use it, and I know it has confused some in earlier years ?

12v tyre inflators - Bolt

Now that you are not in Taiwan, Ed, might I most respectfully suggest that repeated use of your strange word 'Yook' is left behind while you are back here ? I have never seen or heard anyone else use it, and I know it has confused some in earlier years ?

Still does as I have never heard of it until I read one of eds posts and always wondered what it means?..

12v tyre inflators - Brit_in_Germany

Yook as in UK.

12v tyre inflators - John F

Yook as in UK......

...which apparently has left Yerp.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/11/2022 at 13:37

Ah. iPhone touch screen strikes again. Given the amount of rage it generates just using it on the internet, using something similar to control a car seems potentially fatal.

Are we off topic yet?
12v tyre inflators - oldgit

Thank you.

Look at this one from Argos only. Mind you it is cordless but I have one and it is so easy to use and has a decent length of hose. I changed the valve adapter on mine for those easy push fit ones from Amazon.

Guild Cordless Tyre Inflator with Accessories - 12V881/4401
12v tyre inflators - Adampr

I have an Einhell 18v cordless that runs off my drill batteries. As does the strimmer, the mower, the reciprocating saw, the sander, the vacuum, the leaf blower etc.

12v tyre inflators - Brit_in_Germany

What's wrong with a Draper dual cylinder foot pump?

12v tyre inflators - catsdad

An update. Like others I was happy with my Ring basic 12v pump. Well it broke last week after over 10 years. It was running but not producing any pressure. I opened it up and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the pump unit was metal, possibly cast aluminium. So not plastic. Unfortunately the metal had fractured, allowing air out.
I don’t know why it fractured but apart from that it looked well made. Looking at reviews, cheap pumps are a lottery with a lot of early failures. So I’ve bought an apparently identical Ring for £12.50.

If I get another 10 plus years out of it at that price I will be happy.

12v tyre inflators - mcb100
It’s an old post, but if the car doesn’t have a spare then it’ll have a compressor for inflating the tyre with the can of gloop.
12v tyre inflators - bathtub tom

I've a couple of 12V inflators, but I still find a MK1 leg on a double-barrel footpump the quickest (and I get a bit of exercise).

12v tyre inflators - PatrickVaughan

Using a double-barrel foot pump with a MK1 leg can be the quickest and also provide some exercise