What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Another automatic question - Crickleymal

I've had a few trips to the US over the years and all the cars I've rented have been automatics and presumably TC automatics. I've always wondered whether, when you're waiting at a junction or in a traffic jam, it's best to put the car into neutral or leave it in Drive but put your foot on the brake or apply the handbrake?

Another automatic question - Adampr

I don't know what's best, but I have always just put my foot on the brake.

Another automatic question - Dag Hammar

I don’t know which is the best thing to do but I prefer to put it into neutral and apply the handbrake.

This has the benefit of not dazzling the driver behind me with my brake lights.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 07/11/2022 at 08:05

Another automatic question - Sulphur Man

There's a school of thought that holding an auto car stationary with the footbrake for a prolonged time, whilst engaged in D or some forward gear, will not help long term gearbox wear and tear, or brake wear.

On our 5-spd family hack Honda FR-V, I take it into Neutral if it looks obvious that the traffic/lights will have us waiting a while. If it's just a short stop, then no need. The car is an 08-reg on 105K miles, with a lot of stop-start journey history. It drives faultlessly. But then its a lowish torque 1.8 petrol and a straightforward 5-spd tc.

Another automatic question - nellyjak

I leave it in D (with footbrake applied) if the stop is going to be relatively brief..any longer and I always select N with parking brake on (if there's an incline).

Another automatic question - Cris_on_the_gas

Leave it in D and apply the hand brake. That way you do not dazzle vehicle behind with brake lights. You are also ready to move off.

Leave it in D and apply the hand brake. That way you do not dazzle vehicle behind with brake lights. You are also ready to move off.

This is a novel approach. Doesn't the gearbox just pull against the handbrake? I was always under the impression that the footbrake disengaged drive, but the handbrake didn't. Maybe neither do...

Another automatic question - Cris_on_the_gas

This is a novel approach. Doesn't the gearbox just pull against the handbrake? I was always under the impression that the footbrake disengaged drive, but the handbrake didn't. Maybe neither do...

It what I was taught when I last did my RoSPA test and is mentioned in Roadcraft. The Police Drivers Handbook.

Neither footbrake or handbrake disengages the drive. Unless this has changed with electronic or automatic handbrakes

Highway code mentions in rule 114. "In stationary queues of traffic drivers should apply the parking brake and once following traffic has stopped take foot off footbrake to deactivate the vehicles brake lights... to minimise glare to road users behind..."

Interesting the HC refers to parking brake and not handbrake.

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 07/11/2022 at 14:34

Another automatic question - RT

It what I was taught when I last did my RoSPA test and is mentioned in Roadcraft. The Police Drivers Handbook.

Neither footbrake or handbrake disengages the drive. Unless this has changed with electronic or automatic handbrakes

Highway code mentions in rule 114. "In stationary queues of traffic drivers should apply the parking brake and once following traffic has stopped take foot off footbrake to deactivate the vehicles brake lights... to minimise glare to road users behind..."

Interesting the HC refers to parking brake and not handbrake.

Some automatics do engage neutral when stationary with footbrake applied - my 2000 Vauxhall Astra did that so not exactly a rare model

Another automatic question - movilogo

Shift to N, then apply parking brake - works in all cars, including manuals.

I don't do D + parking brake as in my Kia, if I release parking brake the car does not move even at D - unless I shift it to N and then shift back to D. I think being a DCT it engages clutches in D and if parking brake is applied it disengages clutch even in D.

In newer cars, where you have Auto Hold switch, you can take your foot off the brake (while in D) and car will apply parking brake automatically for circa 3 minutes. During this time, if you press accelerator car moves normally. Beyond 3 minutes, car will disengage parking brake and may start rolling.

Edited by movilogo on 07/11/2022 at 14:35

Another automatic question - John F

I usually slip it into N. A ny auto that 'creeps' will use excess fuel if you hold it in D against the brakes, unless it's a 'stop-start'.

Another automatic question - sandy56

I have been using auto cars for many years. I always just keep my foot on the brake.

Another automatic question - Ian_SW

In newer cars, where you have Auto Hold switch, you can take your foot off the brake (while in D) and car will apply parking brake automatically for circa 3 minutes. During this time, if you press accelerator car moves normally. Beyond 3 minutes, car will disengage parking brake and may start rolling.

What car is that in? Everything I've been driven with auto hold applies the "main" parking brake after the car has been in auto hold for more than a certain period of time. Some also sensibly apply the parking brake if you take your seat belt off or open the door when in auto hold.

From a user's perspective, as most parking brakes are also auto release, it makes no difference, particularly in an auto.

Returning to automatic gearboxes, I have a friend who is adamant that you should never use the handbrake in an auto, and instead put the car into "Park" every time you're stopped for more than a few seconds. He won't listen to anyone and when I suggested that "N" may be more suitable if he wants to take it out of "D", I was told in no uncertain terms that "N" was only to be used when the car was being towed!! I avoid following directly behind him if travelling to the same place. Eventually he's going to put it into reverse by mistake when setting off again at the lights and back into the car behind. Surprisingly, given he keeps his cars a long time, he's never had a parking pawl break in the gearbox despite regularly using it to hold the car on steep hills. They must be stronger than many people think...

Another automatic question - movilogo

Everything I've been driven with auto hold applies the "main" parking brake after the car has been in auto hold for more than a certain period of time.

How does the auto hold work then? Does it not apply parking brake to start with?

Is there any car with auto hold but with a traditional handbrake?

Another automatic question - Crickleymal

Looks like the consensus is put it in neutral for more than a short wait. That's what I'd been doing but I was curious as to whether it was the best thing for the car or not.

I think it depends on the gearbox.

A torque converter (as I understand it) will keep churning away but to no real effect. I suppose you would save some fuel and a trivial amount of wear by switching to neutral.

A DCT will (presumably) disengage so it makes no difference. There are other concerns about how and when it re-engages and I suppose you still have the brake lights issue.

I'm not sure what a CVT does - presumably it would disengage. In my mind they're still two cones and a belt, but I think they're a little more sophisticated now...

Another automatic question - madf

My 2012 Jazz CVT has a torque convertor.

Pre 2011 models which had a CVT (there was a short lived automated manual I shift) had mechanical clutches which wore eventually. And juddered.

Another automatic question - edlithgow

I would usually be in neutral anyway, since I would probably have coasted up to the lights before stopping

IIRC (long time ago) my driving instructor told me handbrake should be applied in case you get rear-ended. Might mean a harder hit, but should mean you are less likely to roll in to the path of fast traffic.

I'd think this would apply to both autos and manuals.

Another automatic question - pd

Most modern torque converter autos shift into neutral anyway at a stop regardless of where you have the selector.

Another automatic question - Engineer Andy

I would usually be in neutral anyway, since I would probably have coasted up to the lights before stopping

IIRC (long time ago) my driving instructor told me handbrake should be applied in case you get rear-ended. Might mean a harder hit, but should mean you are less likely to roll in to the path of fast traffic.

Especially if you were first in the queue at a pedestrian crossing.

Another automatic question - FoxyJukebox
I’d put vehicle in neutral rather than ride the brake.
Beware though-I loathe automatics ever since I left footed the brake thinking it was the clutch and came to a shuddering skidding halt.
Another automatic question - skidpan

When we got the Superb PHEV I thought putting the car in neutral just like a manual when waiting some time at lights would be a good idea. Did it just once, discovered that it releases the auto brake, car started to roll.

Then I thought a bit more, car has stop/start which like most modern systems works incredibly reliably unlike early systems. In the PHEV the only time it does not operate is within a mile from home on very cold mornings with the hybrid drive system set to "auto", in "electric" it works every time. With no power to the motor (petrol or electric) with the auto brake set there is no strain on the drive train.

However, if you are a driver that hates stop/start and turns it off there is probably some strain on the drive train.

Another automatic question - Terry W

I suspect nearly every one who transfers from manual to auto has done this - I have.

IMHO it reinforces the wisdom of driving autos with right foot only - left foot braking will almost certainly lead to the shuddering skidding halt syndrome.

I now have an automatic and would not change. Getting into a manual occasionally (eg hire car) risks coming to a halt without changing down gears or depressing the clutch with predictable results (judder, stall).

Another automatic question - RT

I suspect nearly every one who transfers from manual to auto has done this - I have.

IMHO it reinforces the wisdom of driving autos with right foot only - left foot braking will almost certainly lead to the shuddering skidding halt syndrome.

I now have an automatic and would not change. Getting into a manual occasionally (eg hire car) risks coming to a halt without changing down gears or depressing the clutch with predictable results (judder, stall).

Agreed that every driver of an automatic has done it once - but most quickly learn not to - just as drivers of automatics who go back to a manual will stop at junctions without dipping the clutch, just once usually!