What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Automatic advice - Cornwall mark

Hello everyone, first post here,

I'm looking for some advice, due to health problems I'm struggling to use the clutch as I have left leg problems so am looking to get an automatic, the problem is I'm struggling to find much information apart from horror stories, basically I'm on a limited budget of around £2000 and needing a mid sized family car, I do around 10k a year but need something I can depend on, I know nothing is 100% reliable but also don't want something that's giving me problems every few months does anyone have any suggestions on what sort of car I should be looking at thank you in advance

Automatic advice - Adampr

Everything at £2k is a gamble.

Your best bet is to avoid any newer dual clutch systems. These all have names that make them sound more interesting than 'automatic', including DSG, DCT, EAT, Powershift etc.

You choice is going to be extremely limited, but you could look for Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Suzuki) and Korean (Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet) options. There are a fair amount of older Fords and Vauxhalls that might do the job - avoid the Ford Powershift. Look for something with relatively low miles, lots of history and a private sale.

Automatic advice - badbusdriver

Because you are on such a tight budget, you'd really be best looking at what is available within the distance you are willing to travel and ask about specific cars you have seen. Unless you happen to live in a highly populated area, your options are likely to be very limited indeed. It is probably going to come down to your taking a chance on the best available in your area rather than anything else.

At this price, your best option is probably going to be whatever has been looked after by previous owners best, rather than a specific make or model. As for mileage, I wouldn't be nearly as bothered about that as the service and MOT history. Unless either or both of them throws up potential problems the mileage doesn't really matter, and looking for something with lower miles is just going to reduce an already small pool of possible buys even further.

Re Korean options, at this price the car will be old and older Korean cars weren't that well protected against rust, so tread very carefully here and pay close attention to the MOT history.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/11/2022 at 13:21

Automatic advice - Engineer Andy

Everything at £2k is a gamble.

Your best bet is to avoid any newer dual clutch systems. These all have names that make them sound more interesting than 'automatic', including DSG, DCT, EAT, Powershift etc.

You choice is going to be extremely limited, but you could look for Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Toyota, Suzuki) and Korean (Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet) options. There are a fair amount of older Fords and Vauxhalls that might do the job - avoid the Ford Powershift. Look for something with relatively low miles, lots of history and a private sale.

Don't forget to avoid the Honda i-Shift or single clutch 'automated manuals'. The other Honda autos and most CVTs (though Nissan/Renaults have been rather patchy in terms of reliability because they use Jatco gearboxes, which generall appear not to have the best reliability.

If the OP is lucky, then perhaps an older Toyota Corolla or Auris, or Honda Civic or Jazz (sans i-Shift) would probably do nicely if they (preferably) had one or two careful (often retired) owners. A CVT version in these would also be more economical to run than a traditional torque converter (TC) auto.

Whilst my car (Mazda3 gen-1 and if they were lucky, an early gen-2 car) does come with a perfectly decent TC auto version, there aren't many around, plus rust on some gen-1 cars can be an issue (fine on mine) if not kept in check. They will be, however, cheaper to buy (for the same spec/age) than the Toyota and Honda equivalents.

A Ford Focus mk2 1.6 or 1.8 petrol TC auto would be fine if well cared for, as it is closely related to the Mazda3 at that time. The Powershift gearboxes only started appearing on them in the mk3 cars (2011+) onward after the 'divorce' from Mazda.

I think their best bet will be buying a car privately from an elderly owner who is giving up driving but who has looked after their car well and owned it for a long time/since new. With second hand prices being 30%+ higher than the historical norm, the OP may find it difficult to source a good'un unless they are lucky enough to be in an area with this sort of owner.

Automatic advice - Terry W

Quick Autotrader search locally (Somerset) - less than £2500, automatic, less than 100k, less than 50 miles away - shows 15 vehicles, all more than 14 years old..

Of these 6 are probably unsuitable - small, convertible, 4WD. At a guess on inspection of the remaining, only 3-5 would be worth pursuing.

Conclusion - go for the one which seems to be properly maintained and serviced, and drives well on a test drive. At this price level there are no certainties - and no point in agonising over which auto gearbox is most reliable - at this price level everything is a risk.

Good luck!

Automatic advice - pd

You might do well to go up a size. You can probably pick up Mondeo/Insignia class autos for less than Focus/Astra like for like.

It's surprising how many decent Mondeo, Insignia, Citron C5, Peugeot 407/508 etc you can find even in auto format for not a lot of money.

£2k really is banger territory these days though so keep expectations low.

Automatic advice - movilogo

As other posters already said, £2k is banger zone.

During test drive look for the following:

When you move shifter from N to D, the car should move within 1 second. If it takes longer then may indicate problem.

If you can feel jerking during gear changes, then it indicates problem. In fact, in a good automatic, you won't really know when it shifts unless you look at rev counter.

Stick with traditional torque converters or CVTs, avoid DCTs and single clutch/automated manuals.

Keep another £2k spare in case something goes wrong.

Automatic advice - pd

I'd agree with the comment just concentrate on finding something which works and looks like it has been looked after.

At this price range if I found a looked after Passat or VAG car with a DSG gearbox which worked fine and didn't have a rattling DMF I'd probably still pick it over something neglected with a conventional auto.

Lots of cars are scrapping for £500-£600 at the moment so, frankly, any £2k car you get 1-2 years out of is bargain motoring and you'll probably be the last owner of.

Automatic advice - Ian_SW

A couple of further things to add.

Firstly, check what the tax costs - some older automatic versions of very ordinary cars can be incredibly expensive to tax. Even a Focus automatic can be £350 with certain engine combinations.

Secondly, at this price don't be tempted to buy anything "premium" (BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.), "interesting" (sports car, convertible) or particularly unusual such as a Proton, Infiniti, Chevrolet etc. All will cost more to fix when they go wrong than something much more common like a Focus or an Astra. The local garage is also far more likely to be able to work out what has gone wrong on a car they work on regularly.

Automatic advice - Engineer Andy

A couple of further things to add.

Firstly, check what the tax costs - some older automatic versions of very ordinary cars can be incredibly expensive to tax. Even a Focus automatic can be £350 with certain engine combinations.

Secondly, at this price don't be tempted to buy anything "premium" (BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc.), "interesting" (sports car, convertible) or particularly unusual such as a Proton, Infiniti, Chevrolet etc. All will cost more to fix when they go wrong than something much more common like a Focus or an Astra. The local garage is also far more likely to be able to work out what has gone wrong on a car they work on regularly.

Good point there - my 16yo Mazda3 1.6 manual is VED group H and currently I pay £265 (mid 2006+ dropped a group and it costs £220), and the auto version is a group I at £290. I suspect that the high rate you quote there is for a 2 litre petrol Focus.

Still, a reliable TC auto car will be far cheaper to run than an unreliable (but more economical manual) one even if the VED is £100 - £150pa more. The OP may not be able to source a car within their price range with a reliable CVT.

Automatic advice - skidpan

The OP may not be able to source a car within their price range with a reliable CVT.

With the OP's budget set at £2000 reliability will be down to pure luck and nothing to do with the brand of car or type of auto transmission.

Agree that the extra VED for certain cars is but a drop in the ocean compared to potential repair costs.

An essential is good break down cover but make sure it actually include cars of the age the OP can afford, not all do.