Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - Stackman II

We are looking for a replacement for my wife's A3 which self-immolated a week or so ago.

Found a couple of candidates at a local dealer.

The first is a 2015 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol, silver with 80k miles. Price is £6,495.

The second is a Fiat Tipo 1.4 turbo, 82k miles, dark blue. Price is £6,995.

I know the Fiat doesn't get a very good write-up from journalists but it is 2 years newer, a better colour and we like the interior.

The Astra is fine, but didn't really appeal as much as the Fiat.

They also had a Kia Ceed, 2015 1.4 petrol with 50k miles for around £6k but it was abit spartan compared to the others.

Is the Fiat worth a punt ? We plan to keep the car for as long as it keeps going so residuals aren't really an issue.

Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - Adampr

I think the criticism of the Tipo comes from a lack of sophistication and perceived quality, rather than real problems. I'm sure I read that they are the most popular car in Turkey and were built for mass markets southern Europe rather than targeting the fussier northern markets.

All things being equal, I would buy the Tipo if that's what you like best. However, all things being equal would mean satisfactory service history, a decent test drive, good condition and (if applicable) cambelt changes. You say the Tipo is newer but, more importantly, it's got higher miles so I would give the history a good look. Given Fiat's reputation, it pays to review it carefully.

The sensible option is, of course, the Kia but there's not much point buying it if you'll spend the next decade wishing you'd got the Tipo.

Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - Xileno

I would pay more attention to owners than journalists, see what those who actually run the cars say. I haven't looked but you might find some in the main part of this website. The FIAT will be a car to keep until it dies, the residuals won't be as good but that's not important if you won't be selling.

Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - badbusdriver

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the Tipo's running gear and that 1.4 turbo has been around for ages now.

But that one doesn't seem especially cheap given its mileage. And while there may not be any major issues with the engine, I very much tend to think Fiat's work best in their most basic form. A moderately high spec Tipo like this has the potential for any number of niggly electrical problems.

I've been having a look on Autotrader, is the Tipo you are looking at the one at the Kia dealer in Mere?. If so, it looks fine but there is no mention of previous owners or service history.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/11/2022 at 09:29

I've been having a look on Autotrader, is the Tipo you are looking at the one at the Kia dealer in Mere?. If so, it looks fine but there is no mention of previous owners or service history.

If it is, they're also a Fiat dealer. I was at their Wincanton branch a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, it's the one at Chalkes.

Have you been following us ? :)

Our son-in-law used to sell them at the Fiat dealer in Bournemouth. He has spoken to his old colleagues and they say there are no major problems with them at higher mileages.

I will have a chat with Chalkes and find out about the history.

The last Fiat I owned was a 127 Palio which took us on our honeymoon 34 years ago.

Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - badbusdriver

Yes, it's the one at Chalkes.

Have you been following us ? :)

No no, nothing as creepy!, process of elimination.

There aren't that many Tipo 1.4 turbo's on Autotrader. That example is the right price, also happens to be dark blue and have 82k miles, so it seemed fairly likely!.

Our son-in-law used to sell them at the Fiat dealer in Bournemouth. He has spoken to his old colleagues and they say there are no major problems with them at higher mileages.

I will have a chat with Chalkes and find out about the history.

Always nice to have some reassurance that there are no specific problems with the Tipo to worry about, so (assuming the service history checks out) as you like the car, you might as well go for it.

The last Fiat I owned was a 127 Palio which took us on our honeymoon 34 years ago.

Ah, well I used to have a 128 myself, that would have been just under 30 years ago!.

The history sounds good. 6 stamps from the Fiat dealer and one from the selling dealer.

Timing belt changed at 76,000 miles.

Going to take a test drive later today.

Edited by Stackman II on 02/11/2022 at 13:42

We took it out for a test drive.

It was fine, I'm sure there are sharper drives available but compared to the 16 year old Audi it was replacing it felt like a different type of vehicle.

It rode well enough and the 1.4 turbo was quite gutsy.

So we agreed the deal. They threw in 12 months road fund and agreed to put a new MOT on it. (The MOT was due to expire in March.)

I must say the buying process seemes unnecessarily convoluted.

The salesman insisted on reading out various compliance statements and sending out verification codes by text for me to read back to enter in their system before we could even take a test drive!

We politely declined offers of GAP insurance, extended warranties and paint protection.

We pick the car up on Monday and we are quietly excited.

Replacement Hatchback Dilemma - bathtub tom
They threw in 12 months road fund

Can they do that, doesn't it to be done by the new owner/

I had the same experience at Wincanton (Vale Motors). An awful lot of paperwork just to do a test drive. The salesman said it's their policy to do it right at the beginning because it means that they have given you all the relevant information in case you change your mind and, for instance, do want finance.

As a cash buyer, I queried why I would want finance and he told me a lot of people do.it.to get the deposit contribution from the manufacturer, then pay 9ff the finance with cash. I was at a Skoda dealer the other day and they suggested I buy on HP with the highest possible deposit because then I'd get two services worth £700 for £170 worth of interest. It made sense, but I just don't want credit against my name.

We have had the Tipo for about a week now and I had my first good drive in it at the weekend.

The 1.4 turbo engine seems punchy enough for driving round the alanes and a couple of blasts down the A303 showed it to be more than capable of mixing ot with the outside lane brigade. Haven't had a chance to brim-to-brim ityet but the trip computer says just over 40mpg.

It has 16 inch alloys, down from 17inch on the Audi and the ride is much less crashy as a result. The suspension is a bit softer than before so it wallows over the bumps rather than bashing through them.

Coming from a 16 year old Audi to a 5 year old Fiat means we get a far better infotainment system with DAB, bluetooth etc. The information screen next to the speedo has a wide array of options and gives useful information.

I'm sure there are better steers out there but this seems to meet our needs quite comfortably. Most importantly my wife really likes it.