What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - WelshSwan

Hi I am looking for some advice please! I currently drive a 2016 model Honda Civic and I absolutely love it, it's without a doubt the best car I've owned but unfortunately I have to look for something else. The reason being that my elderly grandfather's mobility is becoming more and more limited, he's 6ft plus and finds getting into the Civic an absolute nightmare as the car is low and he keeps hitting his head trying to get in and he has terrible trouble with his legs/muscles.

I've been looking online and it's leading me to believe that I may have to look into getting a small SUV. Not thrilled at the thought of getting one as I am used to driving smaller vehicles but needs must at the moment!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am just so not sure where I even begin! Thank you!

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Xileno

You could try something like a Renault Captur, it's quite a small car but sits a bit higher on the road. I'm sure others will recommend alternatives. You don't need a big SUV.

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - badbusdriver

Difficult to make a suggestion without a budget, but there are any number of small SUV's which are smaller than the OP's Civic (which I personally wouldn't class as a small car), so an odd comment at the end there?.

My Dad, who's had both knees replaced (and having bother with them again) and osteoarthritis in his lower back, finds getting in and out of our Suzuki Ignis pretty easy. It is a tall car and quite a bit smaller than a Civic. He also found our previous car, a 2017 Honda Jazz, pretty easy though it isn't as tall as the Ignis.

Depending on budget (and assuming a manual gearbox), the VW T-Cross, Seat Arona and Skoda Kamiq (the youngest, so presumably the dearest) would be worth a look. They are the same cars under the skin and with the 1.0 TSI petrol engine would give a good balance of performance and economy (the biggest of the three is the Skoda at around 14cm shorter than the OP's Civic).

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - skidpan

You could try something like a Renault Captur, it's quite a small car but sits a bit higher on the road. I'm sure others will recommend alternatives. You don't need a big SUV.

I was going to suggest that but having never owned a Renault was unsure.

When we had parents with mobility issues we bought a Nissan Note which under the skin was a Renault Captur of a previous generation. Not exciting but loads of space and access into front and rear was excellent as was boot space all in a car smaller than a Golf externally. Unfortunately this type of car has pretty much disappeared, the Captur is the last survivor. 2 cars prior to the Note we had a C-Max which was equally good for passengers but the boot was bigger, only downside was the height of the front passenger seat, mothers found getting in difficult and because of this we bought a conventional estate to replace it.

One simple piece of advice, take your father with you to view, you need to be sure the car is the right one.

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Falkirk Bairn

Higher riding car/MPV/SUV is likely to be a solution.

However, as well as added height you have to be aware of other factors such as the distance from the door sill to the seat - wider space can make it trickier. Some cars have bolsters on the sides of the seat which again can be an issue.

A turntable can be bought, passenger reverses on to the seat and then, the turntable helps them get their legs into the car - some cars have wider doors which makes the leg swivel easier than others.

Nothing beats visiting garages and getting Grandpa to try getting in & out!

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Mike H

My parents had a Peugeot Partner Tepee as a Mobility car. My father is about the same height as yours, but he was able to just slide into the seat due to its increased height. My mother on the other hand had to keep a small collapsible step in the car to help her get in and out! Might be worth looking at the latest version to see whether it's suitable (there are Peugeot, Citroen and Vauxhall versions with different levels of equipment and prices).

Should also mention that there is no lip on the boot, which makes it easy to get a wheelchair or mobility scooter in and out.

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Bromptonaut

My parents had a Peugeot Partner Tepee as a Mobility car.

We have its cousin, a 2013 Berlingo, as our main car. It exactly illustrates the problem already mentioned of the gap between the seat and outer edge of the door cill.

My late Mother, after a bad fall, used a frame. Her technique for getting into a car was to shuffle back until her calves were against the cill. She'd then lower herself onto the seat and swivel round knees together in the way ladies of her generation used to avoid showing their stocking tops.

Picking her up from the hospital with the Berlingo she couldn't hit the seat. not even the edge, with her backside. Same both front and rear. She had no problem with the previous generation (2005) Berlingo.

Getting Mum in wasn't something we'd thought about when buying the car. If we had it wouldn't have changed our decision; I just use the other car when she needed to be transported.

Probably need to think carefully about how grandfather gets into the car and if necessary involve him in showroom visits or test drives.

Alternatively is there any way he can adapt his boarding technique so as to keep his head down getting into the Civic?

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Mike H

My parents had a Peugeot Partner Tepee as a Mobility car.

We have its cousin, a 2013 Berlingo, as our main car. It exactly illustrates the problem already mentioned of the gap between the seat and outer edge of the door cill.

Yes, that was the problem for my mother due to her not being very tall. But we are talking here about a man of c.6ft tall, and because my father is around this height he had no problems with the seat to cill distance. But as has been said, best to try it. Their Partner was a 2011 model.

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - badbusdriver

When perennially under-appreciated 'slightly bigger Fiesta', the Fusion, came out, I remember reading about how much effort Ford had put into making it as user friendly as possibly for folk who were a bit less mobile. They had folk wearing suits designed to simulate restricted movement trying out various seat heights, door opening sizes and angles, positioning of controls, etc. Also, the boxier shape and taller seating position meant it was very easy to see out of and place on the road, a boon for less confident drivers (like my wife) as well as those with mobility issues. Sadly this did not translate into the sales success the Fusion deserved, and I say that from personal experience because we had one!.

But it makes me wonder if that kind of consideration and attention to detail is applied to current cars?. It is common to assume a higher seating position is better for the less mobile, even though that isn't necessarily the case. A little higher will usually help as long as the width of the sill doesn't impede too much, but a seat being more than a little higher could easily make things harder for anyone other than those taller than average. And with 'over styled' SUV's being the norm, the sill being of a width which causes problems for some is not going to be given much consideration next to the whims of the stylist, because as is the case with the majority of modern cars, image is everything!.

Access to an old SAAB 99 or 900 was possibly even better than our Fusion (despite not being very tall) due to the ingenious sill/door design. The bottom of the door curved down over the sill and in under the car. This had two advantages, first of which was the resulting very narrow sill making it so easy to get onto and off the seat. Second was that you were in no danger of getting dirt on to the bottom of your trousers/legs from the sill because when closed, the door completely enclosed it!.

Best Car Someone With Mobility Issues - Adampr

Both the Renault Captur and Skoda Karoq have doors that cover the cills. It looks better too.