What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Automatic gearboxes.....good or bad? - KenMavor

Getting too old for my Corolla T Sport so am looking for another car.

Want an automatic.

So which automatic gearboxes are good, and which are bad.

Have a short list of a few cars.

Audi A3 1.8 or 2.0 VW Arteon. Lexus is300h, GS450h. Skoda Octavia/Superb

So how good/bad are the automatic boxes from these manufacturers. CVT, DSG etc.

Only do 5000 miles a year.

Thanks.

Edited by KenMavor on 30/10/2022 at 08:24

Automatic gearboxes.....good or bad? - Adampr

I think the Lexus are both CVT and the others all VW DSG. I will let others diacuss the technical merits of each, but I would say you need to test drive all of them thoroughly, matches to the engine you're considering. Over the last couple of weeks, I have tried out autos from: Jeep (Fiat), Renault, Seat, Kia and Skoda. All drove totally differently and there were only a couple that I could live with.

Automatic gearboxes.....good or bad? - badbusdriver

How reliable a DSG is will depend to a large extent, how it has been driven by previous owners, and how would you find that out?. Because of that, I wouldn't have a second hand DSG/DCT.

CVT's are generally reliable (especially so for the Lexus' you mention), though make sure any transmission fluid changes needed have been done. Nissan CVT's (Jatco actually) have a poor reputation, though having looked into that some, and bearing in mind other makes using Jatco CVT's see to be reliable enough, it does seem to hinge on both keeping up to date with transmission fluid changes, and the car not having been 'thrashed'. If you are a 'press on' driver, you may well not like how they sound and feel. But if you are more interested in progressing in a smooth and relaxed manner, all will be well.

T/C auto's are probably your best bet as an auto 'newbie', and for all round reliability, but that does rule out quite a large selection of cars which may otherwise be good buys, such as your VAG choices.

Automatic gearboxes.....good or bad? - Engineer Andy

As you say, BBD, the problem mainly is that unless a prospective buyer knows every previous owner and how the drove/maintained the car, or they're buying a new car and their driving pattern (for dual clutch gearboxes) does not engender significant wear on the clutch pack, realistically on TC autos or non-Jatco CVTs are realstically the way to go to reasonably ensure long term reliability.

I also agree with Adam in part that a thorough test drive (in different road types/driving conditions) is a must, as what appears to be similar 'auto' gearboxes (even of the same sub-type) can in practice work much better in one car than one from another make, or may suit one person's driving style/pattern far more than another.

With the OP's low annual mileage, the differences (about 5-10%) in mpg between the best (CVTs and dual clutch units) and worst (TC) are relatively minor for non-performance/large cars, and thus reliability and its operation really are the main factors worth considering.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 30/10/2022 at 13:20

Automatic gearboxes.....good or bad? - barney100

I've had quite a few autos, Merc and Volvo and it really is just put the car in drive and forget about it. Can't speak for any other makes.