Recommend me a car please - Gillian Upperton
Hi all, I’m looking for some advice please.

I’m looking for recommendations for a second hand car please

My commute is now 45miles on motorway. I also drive similar motorway miles on a weekend for my child’s hobby. I’m looking for a diesel presumably? As frugal as possible, reliability and ideally something with nav/touch screen for mirroring nav.
Budget is max 9k- could you state your suggestions please?
Recommend me a car please - Heidfirst

Is that 45 mile commute round trip or single journey?

Do you have any requirement for minimum size/load carrying ability?

Hi, it’s round trip- I’m averaging about 300/350 miles per week.

Just me and one child/ small dog to worry about- am pretty open on sizes/types
Recommend me a car please - badbusdriver

Typically we don't usually recommend diesel on the forum because of the potential for problems re emissions equipment if the cars has been used exclusively for shorter journeys. And while your usage certainly justifies diesel, your budget means you are not going to get a new diesel engined car. That in turn means you will buying second hand, which in turn leads to the question of how you'd find out what type of usage a second hand diesel has had from its previous owner/s. You could inadvertently buy a car who's DPF (diesel particulate filter) is about to fail and that would cost a big old chunk of money to rectify.

However if you were to chance it, your budget could get you into a car as young as 2019. If we say 2018 at the oldest, a decent variety of options are available. There is a lot of overlapping with the engines as these (particularly with diesel) are shared to save costs. So the 1.5 in the Renault Clio is also used in the Dacia Sandero, Dacia Sandero Stepway, and Nissan Micra. The 1.5 (a different one) in the Peugeot 208 is also in the Citroen C3, Ford Fiesta, Ford B Max and Ford Ka+ (didn't know there was a diesel version of this). The 1.2 (often labelled as a 1.3, but being 1248cc, is in fact a 1.2) and 1.6 used in various Fiats is also used in various Vauxhalls. All of these have the potential to be very reliable if they have been looked after properly re servicing (quite a few Diesel engines are very sensitive to having the correct oil used) and used on regular longer runs to keep the DPF healthy.

If it was me, I probably would go for a diesel, but you do need to be aware of the risk. Because I'm more interested in comfort, I'd probably favour the quirky Citroen C3, but I'd also consider the Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Recommend me a car please - catsdad

Two frugal petrol options would be on my list. A Skoda Fabia manual or a Suzuki, probably a Baleno or a Swift.

Diesel is more expensive per litre than petrol. This means the mileage necessary to justify a diesel is pretty high. In any case these suggested option can achieve diesel-like mpg from their petrol engines.

Recommend me a car please - Adampr

Have a look at the Honda CR-Z

Diesel is more expensive per litre than petrol. This means the mileage necessary to justify a diesel is pretty high.

Usually considered to be around 15k per annum. If the OP is doing 350 miles per week, that would be around 18k. If the petrol averages 50mpg and the diesel 60mpg, the difference in the diesel's favour isn't that big. If the but if the petrol is using super unleaded and the diesel averages 65mpg, it is around £550 per year.

But yes, petrol could and should certainly be considered. A petrol turbo would offer a similar relaxed gait on the motorway but a naturally aspirated (non turbo), not so much. That doesn't mean it would be thirstier (though it might), just that it would be pulling higher revs and won't get up to speed as quickly.

One of the most aerodynamic small cars, weirdly (given the usage by its typical buyers) is the Mitsubishi Mirage. Though generally hated but the motoring press (and SLO!), it is loved by its owners for its reliability, simplicity, equipment levels and economy. I'd certainly consider one.

Recommend me a car please - alan1302

Diesel is more expensive per litre than petrol. This means the mileage necessary to justify a diesel is pretty high.

Usually considered to be around 15k per annum. If the OP is doing 350 miles per week, that would be around 18k. If the petrol averages 50mpg and the diesel 60mpg, the difference in the diesel's favour isn't that big. If the but if the petrol is using super unleaded and the diesel averages 65mpg, it is around £550 per year.

You need to take account of the cost difference of petrol and diesel at the moment as well - it's generlaly 20p a litre more for diesel and at the moment I don't see it getting close to the price of petrol anytime soon.

You need to take account of the cost difference of petrol and diesel at the moment as well - it's generlaly 20p a litre more for diesel and at the moment I don't see it getting close to the price of petrol anytime soon.

I did, that's how I got the figures.

Recommend me a car please - Engineer Andy

I'd say that the 15,000 mile minimum is really only for someone buying new and using predominantly for longer journeys that avoid DPF active regens (to avoid the DPF/oil starvation-turbo/oil dilution problems).

I'd personall agree with what I recall HJ himeself saying a good few years ago, that for second hand cars, that figure (under 'normal' fuel price times) would be much nearer to 25,000 miles pa.

At the moment, the difference in price between petrol and diesel is higher in percentage terms than it historically has been, perhaps caused by the Western embargo on Russian natual gas and general electricity shortages (some people in rural areas using disel generators to heat/light mones and businesses) and a big increase in the number and usage of diesel-engined home delivery vehicles in Western nations.

Given the above, if I were the OP, I'd consider getting a modern petrol supermini or Focus-sized car, because they are generally (with some notable exceptions) amongst the most reliable (staying away from dual clutch and some CVT ones for the most part), long-lasting cars (mechanically-speaking), but are far more fuel efficient that 10-15 years ago, getting much nearer the manufacturers' claimed mpg than diesel-powered cars do.

I'd personally go for something in that Focus size (not necessarily a Focus, e.g. not the 1L turbo, especially the DCT gearbox version) given the OP has a family (useful for holidays/days out for size) and something registerd just before March 2017 to get as new as possible but taking full advantage of the better VED bands (those well under £100pa) compared to the £150+ for anything afterwards that wasn't an EV.

I'd also get something that has a full service history (main dealer throughout preferred) and that obviously has been well treated, as well as being the minimum spec (the least gadgets that could go wrong or aren't actually a must have) required by them. This means a mid-lower spec car, shod on sensible wheels and tyres (which will also save a lot over the longer term) and with less to go wrong. It would also cost less to insure.

This means they could afford cars from makes that are considered best for reliability and/or may even leave some change after buying it if they are lucky.

Given second hand car prices are likely to fall in the coming months due to the inevitable big recession, getting as much of a car in terms of value (which isn't the trim level but what it'll cost you over the coming years, which build quality/reliability plays a big role) is more important than raw mpg, even with fuel prices being well above historial levels.

I really appreciate everyone’s advice- definitely lots to consider and is so much more informative that google! Thank you so much
Recommend me a car please - barney100

Not buying into the don’t buy diesel school but it’s based on my own long diesel ownership. Having said that maybe a petrol focus might fit the bill. A friend uses one daily for commutes to different schools and every thing else and it’s been a good long term car.

Recommend me a car please - RJ414i

My wife has a 2017 Toyota Yaris 1.5 non turbo, with a return commute twice a week of just over 100 miles with the bulk (80 miles) on the M4.

She's averaging around the 53 - 55 mpg which isn't much (4 or 5 mpg) worse than the old 1.6 diesel Focus estate that we sold last year.

Diesel around here is 15 ppl more, so that offsets the difference.

Hopefully with Toyota reliability and servicing (until 10 years old / 100k miles) for the warranty, it will easily achieve 150k miles plus.

Recommend me a car please - Oli rag

I have a 2018 Hyundai i20 with the 1.2 engine. This averages just under 50 mpg and can get more on long journeys. It has especially good seats with a decent sized boot and is particularly good on motorways where it is surprisingly quiet and refined, but less so around town. Mine doesn’t have a touch screen, but higher specs do.

The Kia Rio of a same age is almost identical and seems highly recommended too by owners. The Toyota Yaris previously mentioned is also a good buy as would be a Honda jazz.

Recommend me a car please - Doeme Emrkek

Vw polo

Ford fiesta

Fiat panda

Mini cooper... All of them is cool cars i can recommend german car Polo model. My co-worker uses it for 8 years without any hesitation.

Edited by Xileno on 28/10/2022 at 20:49

Recommend me a car please - miroku1949

Toyota Yaris very hard to beat to be honest.